Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-23-2011, 08:19 AM   #16
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Just downloaded....looks great. Thanks!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:20 AM   #17
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Just downloaded....looks great. Thanks!
Anytime

How happy are you with the Xoom ?
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:29 AM   #18
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Anytime

How happy are you with the Xoom ?
I love it love it love it! (would love it a slight bit more if they'd friggin release the SD-Card support!)

I watched the Space Shuttle landing on it the other morning.

I read on it a lot (indoors) as well as email/forums etc. - The previous posting of mine was from the Xoom, this one is from my Desktop.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:34 AM   #19
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I love it love it love it! (would love it a slight bit more if they'd friggin release the SD-Card support!)

I watched the Space Shuttle landing on it the other morning.

I read on it a lot (indoors) as well as email/forums etc. - The previous posting of mine was from the Xoom, this one is from my Desktop.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1165998

only for US Xoom Wifi, not 3G, but enables the SD card function.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:37 AM   #20
kennyc

Quote:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1165998

only for US Xoom Wifi, not 3G, but enables the SD card function.
Yep, but I'm keeping mine stock for now. It's no where near filling the internal memory but I don't like that way it connects to my desktop (it mounts as a device, not a drive).
Old 07-23-2011, 08:41 AM   #21
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
I have used ES File Explorer earlier, but was annoyed by it's "hardwired" recognition of file types. It refused to launch a player to play mkv-files, even if my player was able to play it.

I reinstalled to test now, and saw on the "What is new" that streaming had been improved. I tried, but no luck. The Xoom just greyed out.

It is the same problem on all files. Even local files. I suspect that is a problem with Android 3.2, not ES File Explorer.

So I'll remove ES File Explorer and keep using my "Ghost Commander" file manager for now. It works and has no problem letting me launch applications by opening media files. But it will not let me play from a smb-share.

Last edited by Adoby; 07-23-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:43 AM   #22
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
I have used ES File Explorer earlier, but was annoyed by it's "hardwired" recognition of file types. It refused to launch a player to play mkv-files, even if my player was able to play it.

I reinstalled to test now, and saw on the "What is new" that streaming had been improved. I tried, but no luck. The Xoom just greyed out.

It is the same problem on all files. Even local files. I suspect that is a problem with Android 3.2, not ES File Explorer.

So I'll remove ES File Explorer and keep using my "Ghost Commander" file manager for now. It works and has no problem letting me launch applications by opening media files.
I went indeed back from 3.2 to 3.1, 3.2 had too many bugs for me, so i tested ES only with 3.1
Old 07-23-2011, 10:42 AM   #23
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Update: I did some googeling (is that a word?) and found out what was wrong with my xoom since the 3.2 update.

The application selector that is launched when I try to start an application by opening a media file cause the screen to grey out. And the selector is shown outside the screen. The solution is to enable autorotation and rotate the tablet. The selector then pops up on screen, and everything is fine.

The rotation is only needed once. After that everything works fine.

And watching movies directly from a network share works great using Es File Explorer. Actually better than using upnp and dlna!
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:36 PM   #24
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
Update: I did some googeling (is that a word?) and found out what was wrong with my xoom since the 3.2 update.

The application selector that is launched when I try to start an application by opening a media file cause the screen to grey out. And the selector is shown outside the screen. The solution is to enable autorotation and rotate the tablet. The selector then pops up on screen, and everything is fine.

The rotation is only needed once. After that everything works fine.

And watching movies directly from a network share works great using Es File Explorer. Actually better than using upnp and dlna!
Yay !!!
Old 07-23-2011, 12:50 PM   #25
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Googling is indeed a word. Though it is not without pitfalls. "I googled jane doe" or "I googled myself" could lead to snickers if the audience is immature enough. It's not that googling actually has multiple meanings (AFAIK), but I guess it sounds vaguely inappropriate.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:57 PM   #26
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
Googling is indeed a word. Though it is not without pitfalls. "I googled jane doe" or "I googled myself" could lead to snickers if the audience is immature enough. It's not that googling actually has multiple meanings (AFAIK), but I guess it sounds vaguely inappropriate.
well, it does indeed. But the english have much better verbs
Old 07-23-2011, 01:22 PM   #27
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
well, it does indeed. But the english have much better verbs
Hmmm. Does googling sound better if you say it with an english accent?

*David says "Crickey! He's in the parlour googling Jane Doe." to himself with an english accent*

Holy crap! It sounds dirtier! I think I'm starting to understand what you meant when you said "better".
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #28
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
Hmmm. Does googling sound better if you say it with an english accent?

*David says "Crickey! He's in the parlour googling Jane Doe." to himself with an english accent*

Holy crap! It sounds dirtier! I think I'm starting to understand what you meant when you said "better".
anything sounds better with a british accent.... just believe me