Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-28-2010, 07:20 PM   #1
Snassek
Connoisseur
Snassek is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony eReader
Where oh where are the 650's

I am now ready to buy a PRS-650 and can't find any for sale other than being overly priced on eBay. I thought I read somewhere that it is looking like March before Sony Style has them in stock.

Seems that Sony is missing out on lots of sales since I know I can't be the only person looking to buy. I wonder how many other people will decide to buy another brand?

While frustrating, I still have my PRS-500 that is still working.
Snassek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:35 PM   #2
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Here in Australia Borders are reporting on their website that Sony 650s are out of stock until Feb 2011. I guess this is repeating around the world
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:45 AM   #3
mornington
Connoisseur
mornington will become famous soon enoughmornington will become famous soon enoughmornington will become famous soon enoughmornington will become famous soon enoughmornington will become famous soon enoughmornington will become famous soon enoughmornington will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-650
Here in the UK, I bought one just before xmas from the local Sony store. Apparently, though, I bought the only one they had in stock (aside from their display model) and they'd only got it in that morning.

So I guess I was lucky.

It's very much worth it, though. It's a beautiful device, is currently holding a little over 4000 books on its internal storage alone, auto-sorted (by Calibre) into about 500 collections and it's still highly responsive (I tried it with an SD card as well, but it got a bit sluggish when I did so, and frankly 4000 books seemed like enough for the time being...).

The built-in font is awful, though: I used Calibre to convert all my books to use easier-on-the-eye fonts (see other threads on here), and it's a joy to read from now.
mornington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:29 AM   #4
ShaneR
Enthusiast
ShaneR began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650; PW2
My wife had to run all over the city to find my 650 for Christmas (She's a good one, that girl ).

They must have been a hugely popular item this season. I'm finding the accessories are hard to come by as well...
ShaneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:56 AM   #5
whiz16
whiz16 began at the beginning.

Device: sony
yeah. i was thinking of getting this but no webstore is selling this... ( i dont live in the US)
whiz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #6
Loose_Appeal
Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiish?
Loose_Appeal doesn't litterLoose_Appeal doesn't litter

Device: Current: PRS-650, Previous: Books
If this is their way of creating demand, it's not working very well.
Loose_Appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:00 PM   #7
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
I think it is due to a shortage of screens. There is only one company that makes screens for Sony and Kindle.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:24 PM   #8
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
I went into the local Sony Style store on the 21st to do the trade in and they only had two in stock and I got one of them. I am glad I did it when I did.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:49 PM   #9
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
I'll swap someone a 650 for a 350?
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:01 AM   #10
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
But ... aren't you afraid the stylus might break?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:47 AM   #11
DarkRoast
Enthusiast
DarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneDarkRoast makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony Reader 650
The Sony 650 is an excellent choice, SeaBook. I love the build quality and the touch screen. It's mystifying why there are none available anywhere at this time of year and with no more coming until Feb/March. In Australia, we struggled to get one back in November, they sold out pretty much as soon as the shipment came in and we had to go to lots of places before we tracked one down finally... they are very popular.
DarkRoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:02 AM   #12
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I am feeling a lot better about having paid full price (though no tax nor shipping) back when they first came out.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:10 PM   #13
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
I'm feeling more and more lucky to have acquired one from my credit card points catalog, even if I couldn't get the red one.
elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:53 PM   #14
mornington
Connoisseur
mornington will become famous soon enoughmornington will become famous soon enoughmornington will become famous soon enoughmornington will become famous soon enoughmornington will become famous soon enoughmornington will become famous soon enoughmornington will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizilla View Post
I'm feeling more and more lucky to have acquired one from my credit card points catalog, even if I couldn't get the red one.
Why did you want to red one? I saw a few of those around here (in the UK, Dixons/Curries stores just seem to have the red PRS-650s) and to be honest I thought they looked cheap and nasty.

Which is one reason I bought a black one.
mornington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:00 PM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRoast View Post
It's mystifying why there are none available anywhere at this time of year and with no more coming until Feb/March.
No mystery as far as I'm concerned. Amazon builds and sells many times the number of 6" Kindles as Sony does 650s. Amazon is the big buyer on the Pearl screen block. The manufacturer is going to bend over backwards to please a customer who buys a few million screens and treat a customer like Sony who only buys a few 10,000 screens like a lot less cordially. That is business and that is why Amazon is going to get first choice of 6" screens. The 350 has a 5" screen and the 950 has a 7" screen so Sony is not having to compete for similar sized screens with Amazon for those models. If B&N used Pearl screens in their eInk Nooks, the wait for 650s would probably be even worse.

Last edited by jswinden; 12-30-2010 at 02:02 PM.