Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 08-14-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
Lindca2
Lindca2 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Wifi, Cybook Gen 3
Cybook Gen 3: upper half of screen frozen

This is a problem I have not yet seen discussed, and I'd like to know what is going on. Over a period of a couple weeks, the upper half of my Cybook Gen 3's screen would freeze while the lower half worked perfectly well. At first, I could correct the problem by either by turning a few pages back and forth or by exiting the book I was reading and reopening it. After a while when the problem occurred, though, I had to turn the unit off completely and restart it to fix it. Finally, the upper half of the screen is--I think--permanently frozen while the lower half of the screen continues to work.

I've tried a variety of things, including recharging, hard resets, etc., but nothing has worked. The upper screen remains blank (white), but sometimes shows horizontal black lines that disappear when I turn the unit off and on again.

What has happened? Is it fixable or even worth fixing if possible? I've had my trusty Gen 3 for over two years and gotten a lot of wonderful use from it--so the unit is waaay out of warranty--but it may be time to retire it completely...
Lindca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:27 AM   #2
blak4dr
Zealot
blak4dr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blak4dr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blak4dr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.blak4dr has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 623, Kobo Glo HD, Aura One,Aura H2O2
I fear a broken screen...
blak4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2010, 04:37 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
If it's (or it has been) intermittent, and if the division between the frozen and normal parts is a straight horizontal line, I don't think it's a broken screen; it sounds more like an electronic problem, chipset, controller, etc.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:39 AM   #4
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
If it's (or it has been) intermittent, and if the division between the frozen and normal parts is a straight horizontal line, I don't think it's a broken screen; it sounds more like an electronic problem, chipset, controller, etc.
Absolutely. If you want to be more sure, do a search for "broken screen" posts in the forums and compare pictures or post yours, but intermittency is a good sign. Contact assistance, they should tell you where to get the repair good luck!
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:56 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If it's an absolutely 50:50 split between the "working" and "non working" half, with a straght line between the two, it sounds like a display controller problem. This should be repaired under warranty, but you will need to return your device to Bookeen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 06:22 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This should be repaired under warranty, but you will need to return your device to Bookeen.
It would be, if it were still under warranty, but Lindca2 has had the Gen3 for more than two years already (that's what he/she said).

Last edited by Jellby; 08-16-2010 at 08:13 AM.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:48 AM   #7
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Then it's better to check with Bookeen before sending anything- might be too pricey (I have no idea about how much would a new controller should cost). I do hope for Linca it's not the case...
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:53 PM   #8
Lindca2

Thanks so much for all your replies. It is, indeed, a fifty/fifty split of the screen, with the lower half still working perfectly. I'll contact Bookeen and see what they have to say about it. If it's not too expensive to fix (after more than two years, it's almost certainly out of warranty), I'll have them do so. If it is, well, I'll have to say goodbye to a an old--but well-used--friend.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:00 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yes, it is definitely a controller problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:47 AM   #10
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Any display issue that make some part of the display unresponsive IS a screen issue. Broken glass or not. The only thing that can be due to the electronics, is strange display, like small bars, or garbage display (ie all the screen work, but things are not display correctly.)
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:28 AM   #11
Shephen
Shephen began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
I'm getting an identical issue to the OP, wondering if they can provide an update?
Shephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:40 AM   #12
Lindca2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shephen View Post
I'm getting an identical issue to the OP, wondering if they can provide an update?
I contacted Bookeen and described the problem. They said they'd have to look at the unit to be certain what the problem was, but they estimated the cost of repair to be something like $150. (I don't recall the exact amount, but it was well over $100.) Obviously, it made more sense for me to buy a new reader than fix the Cybook. Unless your Cybook is still under warranty, I suspect it will be the same for you, but it costs you nothing to email them to find out.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:33 PM   #13
notimetoulouse
notimetoulouse began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
I had the same problem, and sent it back for checking - (took 4 weeks for Bookeen to actually reply with return instructions). 5 weeks and 4 prompting emails later I was told it was a controller problem, and as I had owned the cybook for 15 months, it was out of warranty. They asked me to forward 135 euros to fix the problem. The cybook costs 200 euros new! Having used my cybook for 15 months I have effectively rented it for 10 euros per month. Absolutely farcical. I loved it as an ebook, but please everyone, search the forums, there are hundreds and hundreds of cybook users in the same boat. They continue to sell a flawed product. Buy one at your peril. I'm no Amazon affiliate, but at least they replace Kindles overnight.
notimetoulouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:18 PM   #14
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
They no longuer sell Cybook Gen3 ^^

(and Sony or Amazon sell screen replacement for more than Bookeen, and it's less than 135€, if I'm correct, now)

By the way, Ok you own it 15month, but, that the rules, you have 12 month of waranty, if you have a problem after the end of the waranty, they will not take and repair for free! That the same thing for ALL devices (liseuses or MP3player or anything else, like car, washing machine...)
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 05:38 PM   #15
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
They no longuer sell Cybook Gen3 ^^

(and Sony or Amazon sell screen replacement for more than Bookeen, and it's less than 135€, if I'm correct, now)

By the way, Ok you own it 15month, but, that the rules, you have 12 month of waranty, if you have a problem after the end of the waranty, they will not take and repair for free! That the same thing for ALL devices (liseuses or MP3player or anything else, like car, washing machine...)
No, you have three years protection. The company is trying not to have to fulfill this by breaking the EU laws.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote