Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-26-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
asperger
Enthusiast
asperger began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre
eReader Acid test

I would love to see an eReader version of an acid test, preferably in ePub format.

I've been using Sigil to create epub books and have discovered that my reader does not render pages as well as I expected. Even some eReader desktop software fails to render properly.

I'd very much like to know which readers, if any , render pages correctly.

So many standards, so little adherence.
asperger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:01 PM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
None of the portable readers support all the potential ePub specs; CSS allows a lot more flexibility than the software & hardware on the readers. (Hardware: CSS allows color; e-ink readers aren't going to show that correctly; some readers don't show some image types, regardless of whether they're properly coded.)

We don't yet have enough consistency in support to need an acid test--we're still at the "this one doesn't do justification" and "that one doesn't allow cross-document links"* stage.

(*Hypothetical. I have no idea how cross-document linking in ePubs works.)

Irrelevant side note: Firefox 3.6.3 gets me 92/100; the blue box shows up as grey. Internet Explorer 8 gets 20/100, doesn't finish loading at all, and shows error messages.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
I think it would be great to have an acid test for eReaders, at the very least so readers and writers know which features are most commonly supported. I actually got here by searching for one...

I don't think it would be possible to auto-score the test since ePub does not support any scripting languages.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote