Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-06-2009, 06:27 AM   #1
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Stanza interface for Baen Webscriptions

Arnold has been busy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Bailey
I'm working on an interface for Stanza to WebScriptions. It's not finished yet but you can play with the current effort at:
http://www.webscription.net/stanza.aspx
In the Stanza app go to the OnLine catalog and at the bottom click the "+" sign and addthis URl to your catalogs.
You can download free books any time and books that you purchased if you login.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:26 PM   #2
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Why can't I see Webscriptions on my iPhone inside STANZA? Will there be an update?
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagansoul View Post
Why can't I see Webscriptions on my iPhone inside STANZA? Will there be an update?
err

"It's not finished yet but you can play with the current effort at:"
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:09 PM   #4
birdbrainbb
Addict
birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.birdbrainbb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite 5
Tried this out yesterday, and it worked marvelously (I downloaded a book I had bought). Yay!
birdbrainbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:53 PM   #5
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
Great! One less ebook reader I need on my iPhone! Not that I don't like BookshelfLT, but I only used it to wirelessly pull from Baen - everything else has been either Stanza, eReader, or now Kindle.
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2009, 06:33 AM   #6
mjdb
Kiwi Member
mjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-books

Device: NAEB Bookeen Cybook Gen3, eBookman
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Arnold has been busy.

You can download free books any time and books that you purchased if you login.

I note that Arnold seems to have done with the EPUB format what he did when he recently added the Sony Reader format - added it to each and every Webscription.net eBook's download page (including the Free Library).

I don't have an iPhone or iPod touch, nor do I have the Stanza Windows desktop Reader application installed, but using my ordinary web browser, I can now download the EPUB format zips for previously purchaed eBooks, and open them in an appropriate reader.
(The Calibre viewer works, but the lines of text are truncated, hopefully that is a bug that will be fixed)

Martin.
mjdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:15 PM   #7
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
I only wish now that they would add the capability to iPhone Stanza to send ebooks to desktop Stanza. That would make this new catalog opportunity perfect!
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:04 PM   #8
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I only wish now that they would add the capability to iPhone Stanza to send ebooks to desktop Stanza. That would make this new catalog opportunity perfect!
Why? You can download the ePubs to desktop anyway.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:36 PM   #9
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Its nice, But I'm waiting for access to Jim Baen's Universe to be added so that I easily get that onto my phone wirelessly.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:37 AM   #10
mjdb
Kiwi Member
mjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-books

Device: NAEB Bookeen Cybook Gen3, eBookman
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
Its nice, But I'm waiting for access to Jim Baen's Universe to be added so that I easily get that onto my phone wirelessly.
I presume that you are a JBU subscriber or member, and are so downloading the eMagazine from the Magazines website.
http://baens-universe.com/downloads

If you have bought the individual single issues from Webscriptions, my understanding is that you should already have access, just like to any purchased eBook.

At present Arnold's Webscriptions site seems to have added the EPUB/Stanza format to all 18 available issues of the Magazine.

The shoestring IT staff for the JBU magazine are different people from Arnold (who does the Baen Publishing site, Bar and Webscriptions).

I gather that JBU is currently concentrating on setting things up for their 4th year subscription/membership drive.
At the moment they haven't yet added downloads in the EPUB/Stanza format.
Out of curiosity I have asked if/how soon they plan to add that format, and am still awaiting a reply.

If you want that format from JBU, you might want to consider emailing a request to JBU, if you haven't already done so.

Martin.
mjdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:02 AM   #11
Neil
Addict
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 6, iPad Air, Kindles HD 8, HD 10, Oasis 3, Scribe, PB Color
Yep, there is certainly no big deal about using the Desktop to download from Baen! It's just a very small increment of useability that if I was downloading a book on the iPhone I wouldn't have to also download it on the desktop but just send it there. Just basically a two-way sharing would be nice. It's a great new interface though!
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:26 AM   #12
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Hmmm... looks like Stanza works off of Atom feeds. Is there a developer's guide anywhere with the list of required and optional elements for each entry?
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:02 PM   #13
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
http://www.lexcycle.com/developer
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:44 AM   #14
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdb View Post
I presume that you are a JBU subscriber or member, and are so downloading the eMagazine from the Magazines website.
http://baens-universe.com/downloads

Martin.
Yes, I'm a JBU Member, and became one a short while ago, mainly because I enjoy the editorials, and wanted to get back into the modern SF scene.

While just downloading the issues and the Books from there is not a major issue, it would be nice to be able to just download them directly from the store like I'm currently able to from Fictionwise.

I can quiet understand that with limited staff t can take quiet a while for a new interface to be rolled out, though I was not aware that the staff for Webscriptions and JBU was different.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote