Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-23-2009, 06:47 AM   #1
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Ladies, best female characters?

I am looking for answers just from the ladies on this one. What modern books/authors do you find have well written female lead characters?

Now, everyone is different and has their own opinion so I'm not asking you to speak for every woman or anything. Just give me your view. Through the years I've heard different authors trashed because a female character is written (in their opinion) horribly. Everything from just not being represented well to being described as "Men with tits".

-MJ (I didn't search to see if this topic has been covered, 'cause even if it is we have alot of new members I wouldn't mind getting a fresh opinion from)
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:54 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I can't really remember any books I've read with only one or two leading characters...

But there's one female lead character I really liked and that is Charis from Taliesin, the first book of the Pendragon Cycle by Stephen R. Lawhead. You follow her from the time she's a vain girl, through several world shattering (literally) events, to her being a grown up woman. She's a female in a time when women weren't that important, and the writer really makes her a woman with a strong spirit, without making her masculine (aka "man with tits").

Frank Herbert also puts his women down as strong persons, who are acutely aware of their femininity.

Thea Beckman (a Dutch writer of young adult and children's books) also knew how to make her women female and yet strong, without ever forcing them into a role they shouldn't have taken considering the environment.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2009, 10:55 AM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Have you read any of the Rev. Claire Ferguson books from Julia Spencer-Flemming. I thought they were rather good. I've read the first two, and plan to read more. They are Murder Mystery with a bit of romance thrown in.

BOb

BTW: I'm not a lady. Hope it's ok that I posted in this thread.

Last edited by pilotbob; 02-23-2009 at 11:15 AM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
stoogeswoman
Zealot
stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: eBookwise 1150 and Kindle 1
I love the women in Barbara Michaels' "Ammie Come Home" series - Ruth in the original "Ammie", Karen and Cheryl in "Shattered Silk" and Rachel in "Stitches in Time". Also another Karen in her "Houses of Stone" - an undervalued classic in my opinion. :-)
stoogeswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:40 AM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
And surely we must mention Vera, of Harv and Vera's Adventure in Panama:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39540.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2009, 04:00 PM   #6
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Lois Bujold McMasters has some very strong and interesting female characters in her novels.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:20 AM   #7
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
There always some women characters that you know you will always remember. These are a couple of mine.

'Angelique' by Sergeanne Golon.

'Mma Ramotse' by Elexander McCall Smith.

I am sure that there are more that I could remember, but for different reasons these two stay with me.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:52 AM   #8
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
I particularly like Amelia Peabody from the series of the same name by Elizabeth Peters.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:16 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Not a book, I know, but "Xena, Warrior Princess" is close to my ideal female character .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:06 AM   #10
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not a book, I know, but "Xena, Warrior Princess" is close to my ideal female character .

GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:21 AM   #11
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
I am looking for answers just from the ladies on this one.
I'm a guy but I see other men answering so I thought I'd toss in my two cents. In about half of of CJ Cherryh's books, the lead characters are strong females and in the ones where the lead char is male, there are strong female characters as well.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:49 PM   #12
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thank you!

Well, I chose her for my avatar because I agree. She's strong, fights for the good, ..... and humorous too. Doesn't take herself too seriously.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:55 PM   #13
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Guy too, so I'll keep it brief -
Maggie Moran, 'Breathing Lessons' by Anne Tyler.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:09 PM   #14
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Hmm...I tend to think of Joanna Brady from J.A. Jance's Joanna Brady series as well written. She is a strong woman but also struggles with balancing being a working mom and with her own relationship with her mother.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:40 PM   #15
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Thinking of Tessa McCamfrey, from the Barbed Coil (J.V. Jones).
Almost ordinary young woman, who finds a ring that transports her in a "medieval" world, where she finds herself part (important one) of a force in a war.
Great fantasy book for me ! Strong and realistic character !
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote