Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 01-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Free (Kindle DRM-free) Wyvern by A.A. Attanasio [Historical Fantasy] + KDP

The KDP Select exclusive-or-else-but-5-days-free-out-of-90-as-long-as-you-don't-care-that-your-readers-outside-of-the-major-Western-nations-get-charged-$2-extra-for-Whispernet-per-book slushpile trawl for today yields much better results than yesterday, and in another 5 hours or so I'll have sufficient leisure time to actually address it properly.

But for now, the most important stuff goes up here, and I'll update with the rest later.

We have a decent yield of sf/fantasy, and the usual mystery/thriller/romance, plus some non-fiction and literature.

Wyvern by A.A. Attanasio is an historical fantasy involving sailing adventures and alchemy, as far as I can tell. It was originally published by HarperCollins in 1988, which is entirely appropriate, since that would have been a Year of the Dragon.

As mentioned before, if you like his writing, some of his award-winning science fiction novels can be had for 37% off, DRM-free in your choice of ePub or Mobi, during re-publisher Phoenix Pick's January coupon sale.

Free without DRM probably just until the end of the day @ Amazon main UK DE ES FR IT

Description
It is 1609 when Jaki Gefjon is born in the jungle of Borneo, the son a beautiful native woman and a Dutch trader. Regarded as a devil child because of his fair skin and blond hair, Jaki is shunned by all but a battle-scarred soul-catcher named Jabalwan, who teaches him the ways of his ancestors—from healing to headshrinking.

As they make their way among the jungle villages, the boy forges strong ties to his tribal heritage—ties that are strained to the breaking point when he is kidnapped by pirates and forced to survive on the high seas, among men who live by wits and cruelty. Jaki comes to learn this code, too, but the lure of gold is not as strong as the quest for knowledge begun under Jabalwan’s tutelage. Caught in the clash between two cultures, and determined to create for himself the home he never had as a child, Jaki travels to the distant corners of the earth; explores the deepest reaches of human consciousness; experiences love, loss, and the joys of marriage and fatherhood; and arrives, finally, on the shores of America, where the promise of a new life in the New World will be realized.

In Wyvern, A. A. Attanasio creates a complete and utterly compelling world—a world rich with unforgettable characters, splendid adventures, poetry and passion. Return now to a time when navigation was more art than science; when the whole world was considered plunder—and alchemy was in its prime.

Miral al-Tahawy, whose works have been translated and print-published by The American University in Cairo Press as far back as 1998, offers an Arabic literary novel: Gazelle Tracks: A Modern Arabic Novel from Egypt (Arab Writers in Translation)

Baen-published Sarah A. Hoyt offers another tie-in story to her award-winning novel Darkship Thieves: High Stakes

St. Martin's Press-published Jon F. Merz offers a short story in his Lawson Vampire series: A Fog of Fury

Previously featured Robert W. Walker offers some short stories, a writing guide, and some sort of horror/thriller-looking novel in Decoy series: Linkage to pull up all 6 of his current offerings.

Kensington-published Doreen Owens Malek offers a contemporary looking cowboy romance, A Marriage of Convenience published by Harlequin in 1998, and repeats two of her older freebies if you missed them: Linkage to pull up all three.

Theresa Weir offers a 1992 Bantam-published contemporary romance: Last Summer

Writing as Anne Frasier, Weir also offers an Onyx-paperbacked cop vs serial killer thriller: Hush

Sorry, this is everything I have in open tabs and have time to add right now. I'll put in the rest later once lab is over.

ETA: Updates posted below, since I have to edit the embarrassing omission of a link to the thread-title book anyway.

If any links are still broken after this, search is your friend.

William C. Anderson offers his 1990 Library Journal-reviewed travelogue of touring Alaska and the Yukon: Taming Mighty Alaska: an RV Odyssey

Star Trek tie-in writer David Bischoff offers an offbeat thriller where a high school senior along with a werewolf and vampire stumbles across a political conspiracy: AT THE TWILIGHT'S LAST GLEAMING (The Girl Who Loved Dark Shadows)

Previously-featured Nebula award-nominee J. Kathleen Cheney offers another short story: The Eretik

Previously-featured Weird Tales Magazine-printed Donna Burgess offers a short story: The Light at the End: a short story about the great dying of 2012

David Bain (ISFDB entry), who's had a few stories published in Weird Tales and says he's some sort of literature professor,offers a collection of ghost/crime stories and two tales involving a psychic detective: Linkage to pull them all up.

Previously featured fellow MR member author Maryann Miller offers an sf short story: SAHM I Am

Phoebe Matthews, a Backlist Ebooks consortium author who says she's been print-published by a number of romance lines offers the 1st in her Sunspinners urban fantasy series: Demonspell, or Curse of the Everlasting Relatives

Michele Lang, previously published by Dorchester's SHOMI imprint, offers an historical urban fantasy set in 1939 and a guide to the series: The Magic of Fabulous (Lady Lazarus), The World of Lady Lazarus

Dara England, who's had a story collected in The Mammoth Book of Irish Romance, offers a Victorian-set historical mystery novella starring a female sleuth: Accomplished in Murder

Severn House-published Geraldine Evans very helpfully titles her mystery backlist offering: Dying For You (Sixth in the critically acclaimed Rafferty and Llewellyn mystery series)

Fellow MR member NightBird helpfully points out that a number of titles in the same series were discounted in multiple venues, and some are still under $5.

Another Severn House alumna, Canadian mystery writer Deborah Nicholson, offers the 1st in her Severn-published Kat Carpenter series about a Calgary theatre manager free in multiple venues, since this is not KDP, merely playing pricing catch-up with Smashwords, where the sequels are $2.99 and hopefully will be offered with discount coupon during Read an Ebook Week. House Report @ Amazon and B&N.

Severn House, by the way, is offering as part of their Severn Select imprint the first two volumes of 5 mystery series by authors such as Paul Doherty for only $2.99 introductory pricing, found by fellow MR member sufue, which can be discounted to almost $2 with the 30% off Kobo coupon which expires tonight. I bought all of them and am enjoying the Heald and the Doherty so far, and the Johnston is an interesting futuristic Scotland which I think I might get to like. Unfortunately neither Brett series is doing anything for me, but I know the Charles Paris mysteries are very popular; enough so they have their own BBC Radio adaptations, so YMMV.

B.R. Harwell is a minor actor (IMDB entry) who offers his 2009 small-press published "write what you know" thriller about an actor who stars in horror films: Flawed

Previously Kensington-published Kate Silver offers a contemporary romance: Husband Hunting

For people who picked up J.R. Rain's Vampires earlier when he and several other authors were running that contest, the sequel is now free: J.R. Rain's Vampires 2

I get the weirdest feeling I'm forgetting something, but the wireless keeps flaking out today and apparently it's a campus-wide problem, so I think this is everything for now. Whatever it is, if I remember it later and it's still free, I'll post then. It's probably not important anyway.

Last edited by ATDrake; 01-17-2012 at 05:19 PM. Reason: There are things I can blame on simple copy-paste error. This does not look like one of them.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Wyvern - http://www.amazon.com/Wyvern-ebook/dp/B006WPIYNW/
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I've been waiting for Wyvern. I read it when it first came out and enjoyed. This is a big, thick novel.

Thanks.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Wyvern is one my favourite books of all time. Get this one people! Get it now!
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #5
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Updated with the non-fic backlist, plus some sf/fantasy shorts and a couple of nice mysteries, including a Canadian one. It's all been added to the OP.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #6
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Thanks!
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:13 AM   #7
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
I am not sure if I should thank you or curse you for finding so many interesting free e-books . I am supposed to cut down the TBR pile this year, not increase it. The good part is that I am not spending any money .
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:54 AM   #8
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Yes, the average price per book has dropped a bit this year - and well ahead on the 'obtaining volumes' pace!
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:58 AM   #9
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Just keep the Attanasio freebie train rolling.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:15 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikaelalind View Post
I am not sure if I should thank you or curse you for finding so many interesting free e-books . I am supposed to cut down the TBR pile this year, not increase it. The good part is that I am not spending any money .

I'll go for the curse!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #11
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
Wyvern is free again today, in case anybody (like me) missed it the first time around...
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #12
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Thanks

Grabbed it. So many books!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote