Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 09-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
newedgeowner
newedgeowner began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
any idea how to install Good for Enterprise

company uses this to receive email. when I install it, it says the mobile network is not turned on and then refuses to go to next step.

the problem with edge is that it does not have mobile network although it appears to have some phone related apk installed already. any idea how to resolve this?
newedgeowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
First of all neither the PE or EE have the necessary circuitry to allow them to connect directly to a mobile network so there is no way that app is going to work as your unit stands at the moment.

I have vague memories that someone managed to get a 3G USB dongle to work but I doubt that would be any use to you either.

Depending on where you want to be able to read your mail it might be worth while you talking to your sys admin or help desk and finding out the protocol the company uses for e-mail. You may find that you can use the standard e-mail client that is available on the PE.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
newedgeowner

Thanks for the reply!

Good for Enterprise can be installed on both android based phone (with wifi and 3G) and tablet (with only wifi). When it is installed on phone, it requires the mobile network to turn on. It does not require so when it is installed on a tablet.

Although eDGe does not have mobile network ability, it still “tricked” Good for Enterprise to believe it does. It is likely that the customized Android for eDGe contains some software/components that do this trick. If this is the case, I would like to know what are these software so that I can delete them and hopefully that will help Good for Enterprise to realize that eDGe is instead a tablet, not a phone.

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
ATFmac
Connoisseur
ATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocket Edge, Ermine 0.9, Rooted, Market Enabled
Where you are going is what I was also thinking in terms of certain components causing this. My idea is the phone.apk and telephony.apk(or similar name) are the phone parts. All of them? I really don't know. There may be more, but at least you can try this.

This Thread has a bunch of info on those files. I suggest reading all the comments to understand what to expect before you do it.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ght=phone+file
ATFmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:32 AM   #5
newedgeowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATFmac View Post
Where you are going is what I was also thinking in terms of certain components causing this. My idea is the phone.apk and telephony.apk(or similar name) are the phone parts. All of them? I really don't know. There may be more, but at least you can try this.

This Thread has a bunch of info on those files. I suggest reading all the comments to understand what to expect before you do it.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ght=phone+file
Thanks for the prompt response. I will surely take a look at the thread and see if there is anything helpful.
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, another question. What version of Android are you using on your PE?

If you have installed the PE Allmine then that is your problem because allmine sets the PE as a phone to allow connecting to the market.

Since what you are trying to install looks for something to tell it if it is installing on a phone or tablet if it finds the allmine version it will assume it is a phone and when it tries to activate the mobile network it will fail.

One other thing, what is the version of Android that this app requires? Ermine, in all its forms, is a modified version of 2.2.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #7
solarbanjo
Enthusiast
solarbanjo will become famous soon enoughsolarbanjo will become famous soon enoughsolarbanjo will become famous soon enoughsolarbanjo will become famous soon enoughsolarbanjo will become famous soon enoughsolarbanjo will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge, Entourage Edge
Just another thing to keep in mind. Good will NOT work if your device has been rooted.

If you have installed the allmine update (or something similar) you phone will already have been rooted.

My experience with a phone has been that even if you attempt to unroot the device, Good still detects some setting/file somewhere to indicate it was rooted and will not allow you to run the application.

Good luck - if you get it working I'll probably end up doing the same thing.
solarbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:26 AM   #8
newedgeowner

Thanks for the great thoughts. On a second thought, I decide not to bother. The reason why I want to install Good is that I thought I could transfer the email to the eink for eye ease reading.

With the understanding that only web browser has the ability to print such contents to the eink page, I see no reason to use eDGe for Good. I have already have an android phone that I can do the same reading.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
ATFmac
Connoisseur
ATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheeseATFmac can extract oil from cheese

Actually, if you're willing to learn how it works, lcd2eink is a great app to have the lcd screen copied to the eink side. It'd have plenty of more uses after your Good adventure.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=lcd+eink

glhf
Old 09-11-2012, 04:00 AM   #10
newedgeowner

Thanks! Now that seems to be a handy tool. But if I cannot root eDGe, then I still cannot install it. If I do root eDGe, then according to the post earlier, I cannot install Good...Hm... that is hard.

I have not yet root it, so it is still Ermine...
Old 09-11-2012, 05:08 AM   #11
ivanjt
Guru

To just root your PE you can use Z4Root. It does not change any of the parameters that say the edge isn't a phone.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #12
ATFmac
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by newedgeowner View Post
Thanks! Now that seems to be a handy tool. But if I cannot root eDGe, then I still cannot install it. If I do root eDGe, then according to the post earlier, I cannot install Good...Hm... that is hard.

I have not yet root it, so it is still Ermine...
Ahhh I seem to over look the little things a lot. I'd say give it a try like ivanjt says. Maybe work on getting Good on it some way before Rooting, then try the Root and see if Good still runs. Either way I believe it can be unrooted afterward. Goodluck