Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
whitespirit
whitespirit began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook PB741
massive CBR to CBZ conversion of books in calibre database

Hello,

I have a lot of comics in cbr format and I have introduced them all in a calibre database for easier maintenance.
Recently I bought ComicRack for Android and found out that some cbr-files do not work. I had to convert them to cbz.
Is there any way to do a massive conversion of cbr to cbz inside calibre ? I can convert them outside calibre but I then have to remove the cbr files and introduce the cbz files again as new books...
I would like to convert the files inside the directories and have the database update simultanously.
I've searched the mobile read database and couldn't find anything on this so I guess I'm the first to ask ?

Thanks
whitespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:29 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Select 'em in calibre, use convert button - bulk convert and it'll go... takes a while for a lot of files... when done you can choose to delete the old format if you want, anyway both versions kept together in same folder structure and you can choose which you want to use... more info if needed - try the calibre sub-forum...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
whitespirit

Thanks Elcreative
the problem is that I can convert them to ZIP format but not to CBZ
If I rename all ZIP afterwards to CBZ (outside the Calibre program), the calibre database control sees that these files are present and that the ZIPS have disappeared but I can't get them into the database without loading/adding the files again
Is there no shorter or faster way to do ?
Old 12-18-2011, 08:39 PM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
If you name your CBZ files exactly the same as how Calibre named your CBR files, you can enable the Automerge option (calibre -> Preferences -> Import/Export -> Adding books) so your added CBZ files will auto-merge with the existing record for the CBR.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:13 AM   #5
whitespirit

Is there no way to implement this conversion inside calibre so that CBR to CBZ can be done from within the program with immediate adjustment of database information
The routine zipconv.bat is freeware (http://w-shadow.com/blog/2009/01/29/...so-etc-to-zip/) but unfortunately I'm not a programmer so I cannot write these kind of plugins ?
Anyone challenged or should I post this question somewhere else ?
Old 12-20-2011, 09:53 AM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitespirit View Post
Is there no way to implement this conversion inside calibre so that CBR to CBZ can be done from within the program with immediate adjustment of database information
The routine zipconv.bat is freeware (http://w-shadow.com/blog/2009/01/29/...so-etc-to-zip/) but unfortunately I'm not a programmer so I cannot write these kind of plugins ?
Anyone challenged or should I post this question somewhere else ?
There's really no need for an external library. Given the existence of the ZIP and EPUB output plugins, adding support for CBZ to Calibre should be trivial. I suggest you put in a request to add a Calibre Output Plugin for the CBZ format.

This might be a good starting point:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118781
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:43 AM   #7
whitespirit

I finally found a tool to convert cbr files to cbz files within the file and directory structure of calibre using Izarc (select directorries to convert, select all cbr files, first rename to rar, convert rar to zip, rename the zip files to cbz)
After that I have have both cbr and cbz files in the same directory in the callibre library
If I now remove the cbr file in explorer and I perform a database control, then it is mentioned that one format is missing and one format is present but not in the database.
This can be corrected but I do not see any option to incorporate a lot of cbr files into the database without going over a manual addition of a format.
Is this not possible automatically (not removing the extra format but effective adding it)
best regards
Old 11-22-2012, 05:23 AM   #8
lof
lof began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I also wanted to perform a bulk conversion of CBRs to read on my Nook color but I started experimenting with a manual conversion of CBR to CBZ.
The problem is, when I tried to send the created CBZ to my Nook via calibre it will force the "auto-convert" option and then it takes over 5min to convert the CBZ to epub.

I think I should file a bug, even though I don't mind managing my comics with no help from calibre.
I will wait for next version though (I'm still with 0.9.2)
lof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lof View Post
The problem is, when I tried to send the created CBZ to my Nook via calibre it will force the "auto-convert" option and then it takes over 5min to convert the CBZ to epub.
Go to Preferences - Plugins - Device interface plugins - Nook Device interface for the Nook Color and check the formats you want to allow to be transferred to your device, such as cbz and cbr.

Quote:
I think I should file a bug, even though I don't mind managing my comics with no help from calibre.
I'm not sure to which bug you are referring.

Quote:
I will wait for next version though (I'm still with 0.9.2)
Version 0.9.6 is already out, I'm curious what you are waiting for and what you think it might fix. Check the What's New section to find out new features and bug fixes in each version release.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:02 AM   #10
lof
lof began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Post Forced epub convert

Thanks for the tip. It seemed to me that the forced conversion (calibre won't transfer the comics to the device unless I say Yes to auto-convert prompt) can be called a bug.
At least there should be an indication there on how to accept more formats to be directly transfered.
Device-compatible file extensions are known so I shouldn't need to check them, unless there is some issue I am not aware of? I understand that the plugin might have been designed for various nook devices that don't have the same file compatibility list.
lof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Thanks for the tip. It seemed to me that the forced conversion (calibre won't transfer the comics to the device unless I say Yes to auto-convert prompt) can be called a bug.
It is just not in my nature to jump straight to "file a bug." First I find out why it is doing something by asking. Then once I understand what is going on I would look at it again knowing it is not a bug and wonder how it can be made clearer. I would then submit an Enhancement request (fourth paragraph) suggesting possible changes in the wording of the pop-up message.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
If you have Calibre configured to only send ePub format to your reader, then the fact that books not in ePub format need to be converted before being sent doesn't seem like a bug to me - it sounds like the correct thing to do.

It's up to you to tell Calibre which formats it should send to the device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:20 AM   #13
whitespirit

mass conversion in library succeeded !

Hello

I finally managed to convert all my cbr-comics within the calibre libray using the following command line :

forfiles /m *.cbr /s /c "cmd /c zipconv.bat *.cbr"

this command was given in the library directory and I placed the zipconv.bat file in the windows/system32 directory

after that all cbr files are converted to zip.files within the existing directory structure.
last step is deleting all cbr files and mass rename the zip files to cbr

So I succeeded to convert all the files to cbz files without using calibre interface and library

Last point - can I change the extension of these files to cbz using calibre ?

If this succeeds my library will be completely OK ! now my cbr files are in the cbz format but not recognized that way....
It doesn't giva any problem anymore for ComicRack but in view of looking for perfection it would be nice if I could do this.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:44 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@whitespirit - you could probably do it via the calibredb — add command in a similar way as you did the convert from cbr to zip.

I suggest you create a small library with a few comics for testing purposes.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 12:18 PM   #15
whitespirit

@BetterRed
thanks for the inspiration to use calibredb and to to it on a small subset of comics !

I did not use the command add, but I renamed all cbr files to cbz and then ran the command "calibredb restore_database -r"
a new database was built using the same structure with the right formats

it took some time but it's running perfectly in the background !

I consider my problem finally solved - all my comics are in cbz format in the calibre database without having to introduce them back one by one !

Tags
cbr, cbz, conversion, database, update