Notices

Old 10-30-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
hermano
Connoisseur
hermano began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen 3
Any more Gen 3 users

Hi

I love my Gen 3....I have had it since they came out....I sent back first one within months as had screen fault, and it was replaced. Only other issue was changing the battery a while back, and now still used daily...has been on holiday about 10 times, I use in bath and/or shower daily (in waterproof cover thing)...and am still happy with it.

I keep reading forums re PW and Glo etc....but until my Gen 3 completely gives up the ghost, i am sticking with it.

Anyone else in similar situation? Any thoughts on how long I can keep going with gen 3?
hermano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
barb2cats
Connoisseur
barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle 2, iPhone, VIZIO
My Gen3 was purchased from the Baen group, who imported by preorder a bunch of them.

Mine was weird, and had to go back to Bookeen - but, once I got a working model, I've truly enjoyed using it.

I inherited a Kindle 1, but preferred the Gen3, so passed the Kindle on to my daughter.

So far, the Gen3 is usually doing fine. A couple months ago, it scared me by only finding about half my library of ebooks (8 pages, not 19).

I panicked, but leaving it on charge overnight seems to have fixed it.

I really do not know what I'll do if/when the Gen3 dies. I like mobi, and still have not learned to change formats, etc. (I know apprentice A is my friend, but I read his info, and wonder what I'm supposed to be doing) - someday I'll find a tutor, or a class.

3/4 of my ebooks are mobi, most of the rest are Amazon.

I'll also be interested in suggestions for replacing the Gen3 when necessary.

Barb
barb2cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:06 AM   #3
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
3/4 of my ebooks are mobi, most of the rest are Amazon.
A kindle seams the way to go in that case.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:21 AM   #4
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Another persistent Gen3 user here! I will also use it until it breaks (and hope this won't be too soon).
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I upgraded to an Orizon, but my old Gen3 (1st version, 64MB) is still in use with a relative.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:18 AM   #6
Maggie May
Grand Sorcerer
Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CYbook Gen3 and Sony PRS 3505 Kindle 3 G Nexus 7 iPad
I bought my Cybook Gen3 (64MB) back in 2007. Was using it up until about 11 months ago. I somehow managed to "brick" the reader. Haven't really tried to unbrick. Not very computer savvy. I have been using my Sony and Kindle ever since. But I still miss my Cybook.

Mag.
Maggie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
fjf
fjf began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen3
Another user here. Changed battery and screen once, and still running. Wish the damn thing dies once and for all so I can get a newer reader!. But unless you drop it, it keeps working!.
fjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:23 AM   #8
hermano
Connoisseur
hermano began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjf View Post
Another user here. Changed battery and screen once, and still running. Wish the damn thing dies once and for all so I can get a newer reader!. But unless you drop it, it keeps working!.

Exactly how I feel. I have also changed battery and now my gen 3 works like new. I look at all the new readers out there and get 'starry eyed'...but cannot just 'dump' my gen 3 as cannot justify (to myself) purchasing a shiny new reader while gen 3 continues to work....
hermano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:59 AM   #9
JanG
Groupie
JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Laptop; Kobo Clara
My Gen 3 is dead. It would say 70% and then die. So I ordered a new battery. That just made matters worse, it wouldn't even hold a charge. I bought an Opus - I really love it and...touch wood...it works beautifully. I also bought a Nook ST. The first Nook wouldn't hold a charge (it has to be me), but the new one they gave me in place works extremely well.

So, I have an Opus and a Nook, but I still wish my Gen 3 hadn't died.
JanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:33 AM   #10
crAss
Connoisseur
crAss began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
I have my Gen3 since late 2008. So far I haven't had any problems with it and I have read a great number of books on it.
I still just load it up with mobi files and read it. I cannot justify a new reader, unless this one dies. The screen is very good, bright white with nice contrast in comparison with some greyer new ones allowing for touch interface, the battery is good enough for many days still, even though it has degraded a bit and the leather case is the only thing showing its true age.
I need my reader to read books and that's it. I don't want it to connect to the internet, listen to music or draw with it, etc...I have other devices for those things and even more. I want it just to read and for that gen3 is still perfect.
crAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #11
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
My Gen3 died on me way too early. I still miss it in a way. Don't get me wrong, the T1 I'm currently using is a very good reader, but to me, the simplicity of the Gen3 also offered some kind of relaxednes, which no other reader could offer to me.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:58 AM   #12
AlanE
AlanE began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle keyboard, Kindle Paperwhite 6th gen, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra
I gave up on the gen3 and moved to a Kindle keyboard. The 4way switch on the gen3 made my thumb sore! The page turns were slow and the bugs introduced with the firmware update suggested that cybook were not competent or commited.
I have now moved to the kindle paperwhite.
AlanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:14 AM   #13
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Unfortunately, both batteries will probably be in a poor state by now...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:49 AM   #14
kleykenb
Groupie
kleykenb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1kS/Cy3
There are many types of rechargeable batteries. Some deteriorate quickly over time (especially when used) but others do not have that problem, or at least not as much.
I don't recall which type of battery the Gen3 has so can't really research the issue but I assume you've done that homework :-)
The battery that has never been used should be in best nick, obviously, but the battery that has been used slightly should still be a whole lot better than a battery that's had hundreds of charge-cycles.
kleykenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:07 AM   #15
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleykenb View Post
There are many types of rechargeable batteries. Some deteriorate quickly over time (especially when used) but others do not have that problem, or at least not as much.
I don't recall which type of battery the Gen3 has so can't really research the issue but I assume you've done that homework :-)
The battery that has never been used should be in best nick, obviously, but the battery that has been used slightly should still be a whole lot better than a battery that's had hundreds of charge-cycles.
A battery not being used at all will empty, and will more likley be dead by then.
You need to make sure the battery is used every now and then.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote