Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 03:30 AM   #91
Ubermensch
Connoisseur
Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ubermensch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Ah, yes. I am quite happy with the result of this ruling.

How often do we hear Android users saying that the iPhone is a thing of the past and has been overwhelmed, yet the iPhone is still the best smartphone on the market in terms of quality. The only reason Android-powered smartphones cell more than iPhones is simple : price. People can't afford an iPhone so they buy a cheap plastic rip-off. Nowadays people who pay the premium price for an iPhone are people who want premium quality. If Android smartphones were more expensive than iPhones, only a handful of people would pay "premium price".

After just a few months my Galaxy S2 could barely make it through 4 hours a day. My wife is now running on her brand new second Galaxy S3 - the first one died - and after the first week she already had to take the battery out (tech support says it's a known issue). The camera on my friend's Galaxy (I'll have to ask for exact model name) is simply not working after just a few months of light use.

Trying to point out which smartphones by quantity is pretty much like comparing a Honda Civic versus a Ferrari. Not everyone can afford the latter, still it's undeniable that it's better than the former. It is also exactly like Windows & OSX. It's hard to compare because one is simply an operating system, the other one is part of a package-deal. Windows is crushing OSX in sales, yet the Macs have an undeniable customer base and the demand for Macbooks is only getting bigger and stronger.

It seems like most people in this thread are Android fanboys, therefore I do expect to be flamed hard. It's fine, but I just wanted to state my opinion.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:41 AM   #92
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubermensch View Post
It seems like most people in this thread are Android fanboys, therefore I do expect to be flamed hard. It's fine, but I just wanted to state my opinion.
Nah, there needs to be a grain of truth to deserve a flame.
FWIW, that screen name definitely does not make your post believable.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:43 AM   #93
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
You reckon?

I speak for myself here, but I like Apple products. Easy to use, looks good and thus we have a lot of it in our home. Three iPhones, 2 iPod touches, 2 iPad's and one Macbook. I am also buying a Macbook Air within six months to replace my older Dell netbook.

Conversely, my middle daughter loves her Samsung SII.

I might love the kit but I do not like the company and the game they are currently playing with patents and litigation. The only winner out of this is Apple with the monetary compensation and market dominance they gain. The customer is denied choice, the market becomes uncompetitive and the real loser will be all of us.

Good kit yes. Apple's ethics? Hmmm....
Old 08-28-2012, 05:10 AM   #94
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
People buy Android to get value for money, not to allow evil company to increase it money pile... Why by half more, double or triple price for something when I can get similiar features or 80% of them? I'm not an idiot...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LifeDrive
Rounded corners, touch screen, missing the thin bezzel and flat top...
Old 08-28-2012, 05:29 AM   #95
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekaros View Post
People buy Android to get value for money, not to allow evil company to increase it money pile... Why by half more, double or triple price for something when I can get similiar features or 80% of them? I'm not an idiot...
Comparing two comparable devices - Galaxy Player vs iPod touch - finds the Galaxy Player to be a better value because of the hardware features it has that are missing on the iPod touch.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:35 AM   #96
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Comparing two comparable devices - Galaxy Player vs iPod touch - finds the Galaxy Player to be a better value because of the hardware features it has that are missing on the iPod touch.
Other way is to look at 50% markup compared to 10%... Which is somewhat there with Apple...
Old 08-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #97
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LifeDrive
Rounded corners, touch screen, missing the thin bezzel and flat top...
Yay, it's taken a while but the thread's finally gone to "evil company" mode... beware, it's creeping up on you... no, it's waiting behind the door... who knows the evil that companies do? Must be the Shadow... no, wait it's...
Old 08-28-2012, 08:25 AM   #98
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Ah, yes. I am quite happy with the result of this ruling.

How often do we hear Android users saying that the iPhone is a thing of the past and has been overwhelmed, yet the iPhone is still the best smartphone on the market in terms of quality. The only reason Android-powered smartphones cell more than iPhones is simple : price. People can't afford an iPhone so they buy a cheap plastic rip-off. Nowadays people who pay the premium price for an iPhone are people who want premium quality. If Android smartphones were more expensive than iPhones, only a handful of people would pay "premium price".

After just a few months my Galaxy S2 could barely make it through 4 hours a day. My wife is now running on her brand new second Galaxy S3 - the first one died - and after the first week she already had to take the battery out (tech support says it's a known issue). The camera on my friend's Galaxy (I'll have to ask for exact model name) is simply not working after just a few months of light use.

Trying to point out which smartphones by quantity is pretty much like comparing a Honda Civic versus a Ferrari. Not everyone can afford the latter, still it's undeniable that it's better than the former. It is also exactly like Windows & OSX. It's hard to compare because one is simply an operating system, the other one is part of a package-deal. Windows is crushing OSX in sales, yet the Macs have an undeniable customer base and the demand for Macbooks is only getting bigger and stronger.

Thanks for the laugh of the day.

Honda Civic vs Ferrari, lol! Or do you mean the iphone is the Honda Civic and the Galaxy III or the HTC One X are the Ferraris? That actually would make sense. And yes, we can afford Apple products (my wife, the anti-techie actually has an iPhone 4 and she swears it will be the last Apple product she will ever get), but why on earth would I want an iPhone? To squint at the tiny screen? So that I can't even customize the home screen? To give up widgets so that I can substitute them with an endless series of clicks? My next phone will most probably a Galaxy Note 2. Macs are not bad, though. They are fast, look good and at least there is no walled garden.

Last edited by HansTWN; 08-28-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #99
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Why by half more, double or triple price for something when I can get similiar features or 80% of them? I'm not an idiot...
Yes. Down with BMW and Mercedes. Up with Corolla!
Old 08-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #100
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Anecdotal evidence not very worthy.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #101
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
FWIW, that screen name definitely does not make your post believable.
Well, since he didn't spell it correctly (either Übermensch or Uebermensch), it sort of fits.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #102
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
no....
Why do you think that people made rounded corners for this:
Old 08-28-2012, 09:52 AM   #103
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Those dirty dogs must have invented a time travel machine just to go to the future and steal Apple's ideas!
Old 08-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #104
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Yes, a DIRECT copy of the iSlate, predecessor of the iPhone.

Let's sue....well....whoever it was.....
Old 08-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #105
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Silly....
Closed Thread