Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 08-11-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
OlleF
Enthusiast
OlleF will become famous soon enoughOlleF will become famous soon enoughOlleF will become famous soon enoughOlleF will become famous soon enoughOlleF will become famous soon enoughOlleF will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Opus, Irex 1000
Smile Another sorting issue

OK, now I have learned to make separate folders for different authors - but, if a want books within a folder to follow a certain order, like publishing dates, how do I do??

I still love my new Opus, loaded it with 600+ books today and it just smiled....
OlleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
You can change the save template in Calibre to put the publishing date first in the filename. Then I think that folder view will list them in what you consider to be the correct order.

But I think that would be an ugly solution. Add publishing date after the title instead, and let the Opus sort on title instead. But you decide ...

Instead of publishing date, consider using series name and series index in the filename instead. (From Calibre.)
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
OlleF
Enthusiast
OlleF will become famous soon enoughOlleF will become famous soon enoughOlleF will become famous soon enoughOlleF will become famous soon enoughOlleF will become famous soon enoughOlleF will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Opus, Irex 1000
Well....
Some of us do actually purchase books legally and do not use Calibre.....
OlleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlleF View Post
Well....
? Calibre has nothing to do with illegal books. My Calibre is loaded with books I purchased, although I have removed the DRM so I can use them with any device I own now or in the future.

If you are using folders you manually created, you'll need to rename all your files yourself, and sort by title. Published date is not a sort field for any e-book reader, that I am aware of. I suspect because publishers are inconsistent in including it in the meta-data.

So you'll need to name the file some thing like:

YYYYMM - Book Title - Author.epub
185601 - Little Women - Lousia May Alcott.epub
and put them in your author folders

If you're trying to sort by series, you'll need to name the file something like:

Series Name - ## - Book Title - Author.epub
Little House - 1 - Little House in the Big Woods - Laura Ingalls Wilder.epub
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlleF View Post
Well....
Do you mean that you have an e-reader and don't use Calibre? You must be joking!
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:16 AM   #6
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Well, the only time i used calibre was when switching from mobi to ePub
Calibre isn't much of an help with DRM-ed books, that is, most of the books you can buy.
I'm not a fan of software thinking they know better than me how to sort my books. I'm the one to say which book goes in which folder.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 08-19-2010 at 03:19 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:12 AM   #7
MarlaChristy
MarlaChristy began at the beginning.

Device: Opus
Calibre has nothing to do with illegal books.

English lit is legal for more than a thousand years, from Beowulf to ... (I've forgotten who we're up to in Europe)

You have a more than thousand years to put in Calibre!
MarlaChristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:38 AM   #8
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
I'm not a fan of software thinking they know better than me how to sort my books. I'm the one to say which book goes in which folder.
Which, as a side note, is exactly what Calibre does: Lets you decide where to put the books.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:57 AM   #9
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nope, when you open a book it copy it (I never asked to copy anything !!), into it own folder, using Author / book hierarchy.

And why bother with a software, when i can just copy past ?
Old 08-20-2010, 05:01 AM   #10
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Quote:
Nope, when you open a book it copy it (I never asked to copy anything !!), into it own folder, using Author / book hierarchy.

And why bother with a software, when i can just copy past ?
Ah, the old "Calibre *bleep*s up my library structure!" vs. "But Calibre's library is kind of like a black box, if you touch it, bad things happen!"- argument. If you don't mind, I'm gonna stay out of this one.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:07 AM   #11
EowynCarter
Wizard

Point is, the opus uses folders to sort books. So yes, it's nice to have the folders that way I want. They don't match tags at all.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:25 AM   #12
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
Point is, the opus uses folders to sort books. So yes, it's nice to have the folders that way I want. They don't match tags at all.
My point is, I have the Calibre library on my computer, not on my Cybook. The books I let Calibre put on my Cybook get put in folders that, actually, are designated by tags. There's a by now semi-obsolete obscure feature that, if a book has a tag starting with a slash, that tag gets interpreted as the path the book should be in. I've been using this since... I don't know, since the Cybook got folder support, I guess.

But this is getting way offtopic. Whatever way you use to organize your books works best for you, as does mine for me, I guess.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:33 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlaChristy View Post
English lit is legal for more than a thousand years, from Beowulf to ... (I've forgotten who we're up to in Europe)
Currently, those authors who died in 1939.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:11 PM   #14
eti.mar
eti.mar juggles neatly with hedgehogs.eti.mar juggles neatly with hedgehogs.eti.mar juggles neatly with hedgehogs.eti.mar juggles neatly with hedgehogs.eti.mar juggles neatly with hedgehogs.eti.mar juggles neatly with hedgehogs.eti.mar juggles neatly with hedgehogs.eti.mar juggles neatly with hedgehogs.eti.mar juggles neatly with hedgehogs.eti.mar juggles neatly with hedgehogs.eti.mar juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Cybook Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
Do you mean that you have an e-reader and don't use Calibre? You must be joking!
Hi Adoby,

I have a Cybook Opus, I'm a developer (C, C++, PHP, Java, ...), and I do not use Calibre, because I find it buggy and with no interresting feature (for me).
I tried it but uninstalled it after a little while.

I find the sorting abilities very poor on the Opus, but the Calibre solution is not satisfying, because the sorting criterium remains the book title (or folder title)...
eti.mar is offline   Reply With Quote