Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-20-2010, 10:54 AM   #1
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Asus DR-570-- the OLED that whops

http://hothardware.com/News/Asus-DR5...ge-The-Market/

If this thing can run anywhere close to 122 hours (5 days) on a single charge, then eink is going to have a run for it's money (and a run for mine.)
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Hope that is just a prototype, the bezel around the screen is too large for my taste, I want the front to be almost all screen. The article also states it has a 6" screen, sure hope they plan on making a larger one too. Will the Tegra chip run Win7?
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 11:07 AM   #3
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
This is all just based off that stupid Times article that probably got the figure wrong. I'm a little disappointed that Asus hasn't swatted it down yet, but instead went the route of saying "All details about the product(s) are still to be finalized with the goals of outstanding responsiveness and battery life being of prime importance for us to ensure a great end user experience."

I still don't get why people are fool enough to believe a figure as high and specific as "122 hours with regular use" would be earnestly used in a vague pre-final specification tidbit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
Hope that is just a prototype, the bezel around the screen is too large for my taste, I want the front to be almost all screen. The article also states it has a 6" screen, sure hope they plan on making a larger one too. Will the Tegra chip run Win7?
They are renders, not photos. There may not be anything to photograph yet.

Last edited by LDBoblo; 01-20-2010 at 11:10 AM.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Maybe there is a nearly invisible ultra low light mode that lasts that long?
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:46 PM   #5
Rayven01
Nevermore
Rayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Nook, Nook Color, Stanza(iphone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
This was my reaction to a lot of e-readers at first as well. Why have such large bezels when the technology is there to make it edge-to-edge? Then I began using my iphone to read e-books. Disregarding the fact that it's really smaller than ideal for that purpose, I've discovered that not having a large enough bezel is a major PITA when it comes to holding the darn thing. You either have to cup the entire device in your hand, stretch your fingers to hold it by the lateral edges, or have your fingers on the edges of the touchscreen and hope they don't register as touches. I've actually taken to holding it sideways so that I can use the top and bottom where there actually is some bezel as handholds.

After all, books do not have print all the way to the edges of the page, nor would you want them to. How would you hold them without obscuring text? Touchscreens just make the problem worse. Edge-to-edge may look sexy, but bezels definitely have their use.
Rayven01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 05:15 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayven01 View Post
This was my reaction to a lot of e-readers at first as well. Why have such large bezels when the technology is there to make it edge-to-edge? Then I began using my iphone to read e-books. Disregarding the fact that it's really smaller than ideal for that purpose, I've discovered that not having a large enough bezel is a major PITA when it comes to holding the darn thing. You either have to cup the entire device in your hand, stretch your fingers to hold it by the lateral edges, or have your fingers on the edges of the touchscreen and hope they don't register as touches. I've actually taken to holding it sideways so that I can use the top and bottom where there actually is some bezel as handholds.

After all, books do not have print all the way to the edges of the page, nor would you want them to. How would you hold them without obscuring text? Touchscreens just make the problem worse. Edge-to-edge may look sexy, but bezels definitely have their use.
It addition bezels provide protection for the screen against damage by adding a solid frame that doesn't torque easily.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote