Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-12-2009, 12:09 PM   #1
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
File/Folder Management

Is there anyway to have calibre manage book files and folder better? I have a few books that some how has three different files, but was only copied in once. Only one entry in Calibre, but shows folders as if that wasn't the case.

Basically, would be nice to have it go through and delete that those are in the calibre directory, but is not in calibre.

Also, would it be possible to not have it append the number to the end of the folders?
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:59 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Also, would it be possible to not have it append the number to the end of the folders?
It is not possible to remove the number. This is required to allow Calibre to be able to handle duplicates correctly.

Ideally you should treat the Calibre library folders as a "black box" and not manipulate their contents outside Calibre.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2009, 11:02 AM   #3
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
That is kind of stupid behavior, ignoring the files, when calibre doesn't do everything. If I have to edit a book that is in Calibre, well, I'll need to work with those files.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Fair enough, although I do know a number of people who prefer to export the file from Calibre when they want to work on it and then import it back when they have finished. It all depends on how you prefer to work.

The key point is to not rename any of the files while they are in the calibre file system or Calibre will lose track of them.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:48 PM   #5
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
It is not possible to remove the number. This is required to allow Calibre to be able to handle duplicates correctly.

Ideally you should treat the Calibre library folders as a "black box" and not manipulate their contents outside Calibre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi
Fair enough, although I do know a number of people who prefer to export the file from Calibre when they want to work on it and then import it back when they have finished. It all depends on how you prefer to work.

The key point is to not rename any of the files while they are in the calibre file system or Calibre will lose track of them.
I have often needed to convert files into many different formats to find which one works best on my reader. This means I often end up with the initial file added to Calibre and then at least 2-3 other formats.

Once I find the one I like, is it ok to just delete the others via windows explorer or some other application? Will Calibre still be able to keep track of the original and whatever is left? Or should I delete the unwanted files via Calibre and if so how do I do that?

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2009, 11:39 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard

You should delete unwanted files via Calibre or you will end up with incosistencies between the Calibre metadata database and the actual file system.

If you want to keep the Book Entry in Calibre, then you can remove specific formats for a single book via the Edit Meta data dialog, or a specific format for many books via the Bulk Edit metadata dialog.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:50 PM   #7
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Thanks itimpi, didn't realise you could do it from the edit metadata dialog. That's a big help in keeping my collection small and clean.

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote