Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-30-2014, 06:01 AM   #1
Feather_Qwill
Enthusiast
Feather_Qwill began at the beginning.

Device: EZReader Pocket Pro
Question Converting (Kobo) epubs to reduce file size?

Does anyone know of any method to reduce the bloated filesizes of Kobo epubs? I'm talking 2-3 MB per book (from Kobo), as opposed 250-350 KB (From other sources, such as OmniLit). I was thinking the Convert Book option would do it, but although I've been able to fix some of the other issues (ie, fonts that grow and shrink every couple of paragraphs), nothing I've done so far has significantly changed the file size.

Please help!
Feather_Qwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:58 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather_Qwill View Post
Does anyone know of any method to reduce the bloated filesizes of Kobo epubs? I'm talking 2-3 MB per book (from Kobo), as opposed 250-350 KB (From other sources, such as OmniLit). I was thinking the Convert Book option would do it, but although I've been able to fix some of the other issues (ie, fonts that grow and shrink every couple of paragraphs), nothing I've done so far has significantly changed the file size.

Please help!
Unpack the book and see where the TOTAL size is coming from.
THEN make a plan
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2014, 11:26 AM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
It may well be because the html files in Kobo-style epubs (kepubs) are full of extra <span> tags, e.g. <span class="koboSpan" id="kobo.32.1">some paragraph text</span>. These wouldn't be removed by a calibre conversion as it is perfectly valid code. A long book may have many thousands of them, which adds up.

As theducks says, if you open one up you can see them. With a bit of fancy Regex search/replace all you may be able to remove them to turn the kepub back to a standard epub, but the risk of deleting actual book content makes this rather risky and I wouldn't recommend it.

Edit: The other likely suspects are embedded fonts and/or a lot of images.

Last edited by jackie_w; 01-30-2014 at 11:32 AM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:34 PM   #4
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
It may well be because the html files in Kobo-style epubs (kepubs) are full of extra <span> tags, e.g. <span class="koboSpan" id="kobo.32.1">some paragraph text</span>. These wouldn't be removed by a calibre conversion as it is perfectly valid code. A long book may have many thousands of them, which adds up.
Edit: The other likely suspects are embedded fonts and/or a lot of images.
The extra HTML markup will not contribute as much bloat as you might expect to the TOTAL book size. This is because of the mechanism used in the final zip compression of the component HTML files which tokenises commonly used "words".

A total size of 2-3Mb is likely to be, as mentioned, embedded fonts, assuming that both the Kobo and the OmniLit books both have the same images (or none at all).

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote