Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which mystery shall thrill us in May?
The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey 14 37.84%
The Dinner by Herman Koch 8 21.62%
The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler 16 43.24%
A Suspension of Mercy by Patricia Highsmith 6 16.22%
The Flower Net by Lisa See 8 21.62%
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley 10 27.03%
A Dark-Adapted Eye by Barbara Vine 5 13.51%
The Redbreast by Jo Nesbø 13 35.14%
In Pale Battalions by Robert Goddard 11 29.73%
Great North Road by Peter F. Hamilton 3 8.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #16
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I've only voted for my own nomination this time, In Pale Battalions, () because I really would like a Robbert Goddard to win. I genuinely think a lot of MR readers would enjoy his books (at least those that enjoy family murder mysteries, particularly ones that go back generations, as many of his do).

Goddard has a fairly large canon of work, and is the favourite living author of William Haig (ex-leader of the Conservative Party and our current Foreign Secretary).
My library doesn't have In Pale Battalions, so I didn't vote for it, but I did put another of his books on hold. Thanks for the recommendation.

A quick search didn't turn up the Ruth Rendell/Barbara Vine book in Canada, so I gave that one a pass too.

I hope The Big Sleep doesn't win, I found it very dated and a struggle to read.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #17
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
My library doesn't have In Pale Battalions, so I didn't vote for it, but I did put another of his books on hold. Thanks for the recommendation.
Interested to know which one? He mostly doesn't write in series, but there are a couple of sequels which would benefit in being read...err...sequentially.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #18
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I voted for the ones I haven't read*, all of which sound excellent. I'd choose Chandler if it's going to be a reread; it's one of two classics on the list and I didn't think the Tey was as good as I remembered when I reread it a couple of years ago. Still, I'd vastly prefer one of the new to me options.

*Except for Great North Road, which I doubt I'd like.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:39 AM   #19
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
A quick search didn't turn up the Ruth Rendell/Barbara Vine book in Canada, so I gave that one a pass too.
Sorry - didn't check Canadian availability when I nominated. Checked for quite a few others but not that one.

Geographic restrictions are a pain.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #20
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Interested to know which one? He mostly doesn't write in series, but there are a couple of sequels which would benefit in being read...err...sequentially.
Borrowed Time was the one I put on hold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Sorry - didn't check Canadian availability when I nominated. Checked for quite a few others but not that one.

Geographic restrictions are a pain.
Many of her Ruth Rendell books are available digitally in Canada, but I only found a couple of the Barbara Vine ones in ebook form. Different publishing companies probably.
Advert
Old 04-23-2013, 11:51 AM   #21
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Borrowed Time was the one I put on hold.
That's one I have read, but don't remember very well. Not a serial one though. Hope you enjoy it.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #22
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Let's do May over.

Okay, let's do May over, starting with the nominations. I was so busy I forgot to nominate Black Jack Justice by Gregg Taylor. 24 reviews at Amazon give this book an overall 5-star rating. Just finished it a couple of weeks ago and the stars are well-deserved.

I love "Old Squarejaw" and his partner Trixie Dixon, "Girl Detective". For the uninitiated, their exploits can be heard via podcast at Decoder Ring Theater. The book is a prequel to the web series and tells how they met and why they decided to go into business together, even though they profess to hate each other's guts. I could not recommend this book highly enough; it's one of my most enjoyable reading experiences of this or any other year.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #23
Synamon
Lunatic

I'm surprised that The Dinner isn't getting more votes. The blurb sounded excellent and I put it on hold at the library as soon as it was nominated. Seems popular there, I'm 38th in line and the library has 11 copies (which is a lot).

I can recommend The Redbreast. I'd never read anything before about Norwegians fighting for Germany on the Eastern Front, which was the fascinating back story for this mystery.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #24
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm surprised that The Dinner isn't getting more votes. The blurb sounded excellent and I put it on hold at the library as soon as it was nominated. Seems popular there, I'm 38th in line and the library has 11 copies (which is a lot).
It got an excellent review in the NY Times, which is how I first heard of it. I'll read it in any case; it's come up on Overdrive for me.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #25
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
What was very interesting about the selections is that I've never even heard of many of these authors. I just had to pick one. I'm sure I'll enjoy whatever wins.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #26
Synamon
Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
What was very interesting about the selections is that I've never even heard of many of these authors. I just had to pick one. I'm sure I'll enjoy whatever wins.
You could have picked more than one, the poll is multiple choice.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:33 AM   #27
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Don't feel bad Tarana, the only one of the ten I have ever heard of is the one I nominated.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:36 AM   #28
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well - I'm not surprised about the Great North Road showing in this vote. I've only read one Peter F. Hamilton book and I enjoyed it. I'm sure this book is good too and Jon has been giving it a good report - but I just couldn't see a wave of people voting for it this month.

I have a feeling that I'm going to commit myself to A Dark-Adapted Eye regardless of who wins as it's on my reading list for this year. I don't know if I'll be able to squeeze another option in. I might give it a try if Chandler or Tey win - we'll see.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:42 AM   #29
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

C'mon Goddard or Nesbo!
Old 04-24-2013, 08:26 AM   #30
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Cor Blimey - coincidentally, A Dark-Adapted Eye is currently $1.99 at Amazon (US). Even if you've already voted or if you don't particularly want to vote for Barbara Vine's entry, here is an opportunity to pick up a copy of the book at a good price.

LINK

This novel was given the Edgar Award for Best Novel in 1987. I haven't read it myself, but I've loved the handful of Barbara Vine books I've read.