Notices

View Poll Results: Which would you vote for
Copyright forever 32 21.77%
Fully do away with copyright 115 78.23%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #376
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I do not concede the point, and I haven't changed the subject. There simply is no possible way to interpret his article as calling for copyright to be limited. Even at life +70 years, he still calls that stealing, the equivalent of slavery or confiscating farms. His point is that there should be no point where the work enters the public domain.
You changed the subject when you went from "how many interpretations are there" to "he's a liar."

You conceeded the point because there is no way for him to be a liar unless there are two interpretations.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #377
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
You changed the subject when you went from "how many interpretations are there" to "he's a liar."

You conceeded the point because there is no way for him to be a liar unless there are two interpretations.
You claimed that it was possible to interpret his article as being for limited copyright, but such an interpretation is not possible, he explicitly makes the case for eternal copyright.

If he claimed in his book that he is in favor of limited times for copyright, but claims in the article that he is for eternal copyright, then one of the claims must be a lie. The question is which was the lie, the claim in the book or the claim in the article? It has nothing to do with interpretations.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #378
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
Copyright would have given the author the right to sell his play to one company, which he did anyway. What you quoted has to do with what the company did next. They didn't keep the script, and that is why it didn't survive intact in time. They tried to keep the script from being copied, just like the publishers are using DRM today, and that is why few copies exist. They didn't want the script to circulate. If there would have been copyright laws then we wouldn't have had the copies we have today.
I am answering the question that was asked, namely, how does lack of copyright lead to fewer copies rather than more?

Please read this again, with attention to the bold:

Per Dr. Debora B. Schwartz (English Department, California Polytechnic State University): http://cla.calpoly.edu/~dschwart/engl339/problems.html

Quote:

Because there was no such thing as copyright in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, playwrights and theatrical troupes tried to keep their plays out of print. Without copyright protection, there was no compensation to a troupe and/or playwright if a rival troupe obtained a copy of and produced a play, thereby cutting into the original troupe's audience (and profits). For this reason (and because copying handwritten scripts was a long and tedious task), individual actors generally received only a copy of their individual lines and cues. Some of the quarto versions of Shakespeare's plays seem to have been pirated from a single actor's partial script, with other passages reconstructed from memory or invented.

Do you see it now? They made fewer copies in order to prevent piracy. This is not a universal statement about how copyright impacts copying - it is a particular statement about how the dynamics of copying worked in Shakespearean theatres.

Quote:
The kind of variances I am talking about were brought up by you.
Where? I don't recall doing that, so unless you can point it out, I'll just continue to think I didn't.

Quote:
You base this on what?
Humor. Or at least, an attempt at it. I thought that the title of the missing Shakespeare play was pretty funny...

Quote:
Or he would have been a pirate, or he wouldn't have had the money to pay the royalties and his works would have never been created.
Not Shakespeare. He was that unusual thing, a creative artist who was also a businessman. Depend upon it, he would have thrived under copyright.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #379
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
If he claimed in his book that he is in favor of limited times for copyright, but claims in the article that he is for eternal copyright, then one of the claims must be a lie. The question is which was the lie, the claim in the book or the claim in the article? It has nothing to do with interpretations.
I have provide you with an explanation. I cannot provide you with an understanding.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #380
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
I have provide you with an explanation. I cannot provide you with an understanding.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhRUe-gz690

So, I will just say "lets call it a draw."
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #381
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Do you see it now? They made fewer copies in order to prevent piracy.
If you think about it for about 10 seconds or so you will see that this cannot be true. The rivals can easily get the script by having an actor attend the play and memorizing the lines.

Quote:
Where? I don't recall doing that, so unless you can point it out, I'll just continue to think I didn't.
Or you could read what you wrote:
Quote:
On the other hand, because of the lack of copyright, we do not have any accurate version of Shakespeare's plays. If you know anything beyond high school Shakespeare, you know, for instance, that there are two different versions of Hamlet.
Quote:
Not Shakespeare. He was that unusual thing, a creative artist who was also a businessman. Depend upon it, he would have thrived under copyright.
He thrived without it showing yet again that copyright is not necessary.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:02 AM   #382
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Perpetual copyright extending retroactively into perpetuity? Shakespeare probably wouldn't have even been taught how to read. Why bother when all your entertainment needs are provided for you by the big 6 players?
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote