Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-08-2010, 10:47 PM   #1
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Fingerprint smearing removal?

There are a lot of things I like about the PRS-350, but one thing is driving me nuts - I'm getting nonstop fingerprint smearing. And I happily use an iPhone, so I've been surprised at the PRS-350. With the iPhone, I usually just wipe it on a sleeve or pant leg and continue swiping.

But the recessed screen on the Sony makes that hard, and little bits of lint can throw off the touchscreen infrared. It seems like when I do wipe it with a microfiber cloth, I"m just smearing it around, not actually getting the finger oils off. This is creating noticeable glare when I read with a clip light (90% of my reading), and it starts to create "drag" for page turning.

I tried to photograph how it creates a slight film over the screen, but I didn't have enough light.

Is anyone else experiencing this? What are you doing to keep the screen clean? I wash my hands frequently because I'm around my toddler and preschooler, and I don't use hand lotion, so I don't think it is that I have really oily hands.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:15 AM   #2
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
I have a microfiber cloth that travels with the reader in the case. When I get fingerprints on the screen, (rarely, as I HATE fingerprints, and use the button to turn pages) I breathe on the screen for a bit of condensation and wipe the prints off. Seems to get the oil off, and never hurt my 505 screen, (or my eyeglasses lenses...)
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2010, 01:02 AM   #3
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I haven't had a big problem with this on the 350, after pawing my pink one all day. I'd use my sunglasses cloth (always in my purse).
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:10 AM   #4
SmartyPants
Zealot
SmartyPants began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
i must be in a minority but i actually like using the stylus that came with it...
SmartyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:19 AM   #5
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I haven't found it to be a problem, and I usually read while eating. I just avoid peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2010, 03:13 AM   #6
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't have this device, but the "flat" microfibers tend to just smear around for me too. I use a microfiber cloth made for screens, one that's actually kind of "fluffy" so it can really pick up dirt... works great for me on any screen (including netbook, phone and ereader).

For extreme cases I add a bit of TFT cleaner fluid, although you have to be very careful with those - many are low quality and smear. So you should use a quality brand. See if there is a TFT/TV review site or forum or something that also recommends cleaners.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:04 AM   #7
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I avoid touching the screen too much, and I use the area where the battery meter is to turn pages--so if it does get smeared, it is not somewhere where there is text.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:49 PM   #8
flyingpostman
flyingpostman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I won't touch the screen with my fingers, I can't stand fingerprints. I use the stylus. The iPhone is different, somehow I don't care so much about the smudges on the screen, probably because it is unavoidable. Because I spend hours reading on an ereader I just don't want fingerprints.
flyingpostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:14 PM   #9
Pegster
Devourer of Books
Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T1, Samsung S5
I don't have too much of a problem with smearing - but when I feel the need, I have a small microfibre cloth that cleans it right up without a problem.

It's a touch screen - it's meant to be used! And the surface is at least matt, rather than glossy - smears are not that noticable that it detracts from the reading experience, imho.
Pegster is offline   Reply With Quote