Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
sallyember
sallyember began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle and Desktop Dell
Unhappy PLEASE help with epub validation errors or point to where I can get help?

PLEASE help with epub validation errors or point to where I can get help? New ebook sci fi author, here, trying to get my ebook accepted onto Smashwords. Passed autovetter perfectly, then received these 6 epubcheck errors and don't understand.

I am unemployed, can't pay anyone to do this. Not a programmer at all, but smart or competent or lucky enough to have done all my own formatting and passed autovetter, so not horrible at this.

Just don't know three things:
1) after I locate a line number and position in the word.doc version, how do I "See" the error to fix it? I tried deleting that letter and those around it, retyping in MS Word. Resubmitted, epub validation process again: same errors. What is the error, anyway? Looks fine to me. These letters are mid-word, mid-sentence, nothing weird going on around them. See below.

2) what do these errors mean (I only have 2 types of errors, but the second one occurs in five places, all around the same section of my doc, which is nothing unusual, just text).

They're both "attribute" errors ("type" and "start"). The last five are in the same position, just different lines. The first is almost in the same position, different line.

A) attribute "type" not allowed here; expected attribute "class", "dir", "id", "lang", "style", "title" or "xml:lang"
line 2891, position 31
B) attribute "start" not allowed here; expected attribute "class", "dir", "id", "lang", "style", "title" or "xml:lang"
lines 2462, 2471, 2480, 2491, 2498, position 32

3) I need to avoid the "nuclear method," since my book is 334 pages long and these are the ONLY errors. Please help?

Please email a link, or instructions/explanation, ssfember at gmail Or, if it's easier or better to SKYPE, use sally.ember and I'll accept (USA, CA PST, 12:40 PM now; online about 5 AM -about 6 PM PST).

THANKS!

Read more: http://smashwords-forum.proboards.co...#ixzz2kN4tj0rt
sallyember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Don't use start or type. Find another way of doing things. Start is often used to autonumber a table. This works in web design but not in epubs.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
@Sally - You don't say whether you uploaded a .doc file, or an epub file. The line numbers mentioned are for an epub file, not a doc file. Both the <start> and <type> tags are used in ordered lists, so it is likely that Word is using them in some ordered list you are using. Perhaps if you change that(them?) to unordered lists you may avoid the problem.

Good luck with the meatgrinder...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:03 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
If you convert your .doc to an ePub, you can try posting the offending code here for analysis.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyember View Post
PLEASE help with epub validation errors or point to where I can get help? New ebook sci fi author, here, trying to get my ebook accepted onto Smashwords. Passed autovetter perfectly, then received these 6 epubcheck errors and don't understand.

I am unemployed, can't pay anyone to do this. Not a programmer at all, but smart or competent or lucky enough to have done all my own formatting and passed autovetter, so not horrible at this.

Just don't know three things:
1) after I locate a line number and position in the word.doc version, how do I "See" the error to fix it? I tried deleting that letter and those around it, retyping in MS Word. Resubmitted, epub validation process again: same errors. What is the error, anyway? Looks fine to me. These letters are mid-word, mid-sentence, nothing weird going on around them. See below.

2) what do these errors mean (I only have 2 types of errors, but the second one occurs in five places, all around the same section of my doc, which is nothing unusual, just text).

They're both "attribute" errors ("type" and "start"). The last five are in the same position, just different lines. The first is almost in the same position, different line.

A) attribute "type" not allowed here; expected attribute "class", "dir", "id", "lang", "style", "title" or "xml:lang"
line 2891, position 31
B) attribute "start" not allowed here; expected attribute "class", "dir", "id", "lang", "style", "title" or "xml:lang"
lines 2462, 2471, 2480, 2491, 2498, position 32

3) I need to avoid the "nuclear method," since my book is 334 pages long and these are the ONLY errors. Please help?

Please email a link, or instructions/explanation, ssfember at gmail Or, if it's easier or better to SKYPE, use sally.ember and I'll accept (USA, CA PST, 12:40 PM now; online about 5 AM -about 6 PM PST).

THANKS!

Read more: http://smashwords-forum.proboards.co...#ixzz2kN4tj0rt
Sally:

Somewhere, you have numbered lists, and in Word, you told the numbered list to start ("start") with a new number (for example, you had a list that went from 1-5, then you had outdented or regular margin paragraphs, then you tried to pick up numbering on a second list with 6). You cannot do that for ePUB, (this is more complicated than what I just said, but, for this purpose). You'll either have to hand-number your items, or live with each list starting with a 1.

I don't know what you did vis-a-vis the "type," but I'm 99% sure about the start error. If you can copy and paste the CODE section of the Meatgrinder's ePUB, say, 5 lines on either side of the offending line with the type error, it's 100% likely someone here can help you.

FWIW, Smashwords handles non-fiction or "more" formatted Word files very, very badly indeed. You'd be better off making your own ePUB and then submitting that instead, but if this is what you can do, fix the lists, and then show us the code for the type error. We'll try to help.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Type controls whether the ordered list is numeric or alpha, but still doesn't work in epubs. As was said, you have to do it all by hand. This is a major pain for someone updating manuals, etc. But epub3 doesn't address this either, as far as I know.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:53 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
Type controls whether the ordered list is numeric or alpha, but still doesn't work in epubs. As was said, you have to do it all by hand. This is a major pain for someone updating manuals, etc. But epub3 doesn't address this either, as far as I know.
ePub 2 has "list-style-type", but I don't know how's the support for that in actual readers.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
ePub 2 has "list-style-type", but I don't know how's the support for that in actual readers.
mrmikel: Yes, but that shouldn't be pinging in ePUBcheck; we all use list styles, i.e., numeric or...oh, wait. No we don't. When I read this last night, I mis-read it as "numeric or bulleted." You're absolutely right. That's what's wrong, you cannot set that in any ePUB today, AFAIK.

Jellby: Dunno. I've not seen it work anywhere, but, n.b., I have not tried to make an ePUB that will work on ePUB3 readers. (Yes, I know you said ePUB2, but my experience so far is that for real reading devices, list-style-type doesn't work. It likely works, I'd suspect, in browser-based readers like ePUBReader. Haven't tested it, as we haven't ever made a book strictly for that market/reader.)

Hitch
Old 11-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I believe it is supported on most eReaders but you cannot set the start value for numbers. The start attribute is not supported. Bullets is supported as well but I do not believe you can define the shape of the bullet.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I believe it is supported on most eReaders but you cannot set the start value for numbers. The start attribute is not supported. Bullets is supported as well but I do not believe you can define the shape of the bullet.

Dale
Dale:

LOL, did you really just write that?

"List-style-type" is supported, but you can't set the starting number and you can't set the bullet style. Right? :-)

Hitch
Old 11-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well there are other things you can control. Lists only can start with 1. I guess it was a bit humorous upon reflection.

Dale
Old 11-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

The idpf does define what they support so they do have a limited number of bullets.
list-style-type 12.6.2
none
disc
circle
square
decimal
decimal-leading-zero
lower-roman
upper-roman
lower-greek Decimal
upper-greek Decimal
lower-alpha
lower-latin
upper-alpha
upper-latin
hebrew Decimal
armenian Decimal
georgian Decimal
cjk-ideographic Decimal
hiragana Decimal
katakana Decimal
hiragana-iroha Decimal
katakana-iroha Decimal
inherit
list-style-position 12.6.2
inside
outside
inherit
list-style [2]
Old 11-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Well there are other things you can control. Lists only can start with 1. I guess it was a bit humorous upon reflection.

Dale
I enjoyed the chuckle, I really did. I do this, too--I get focused on the details of the question (my hubster calls this, "getting down in the weeds") and forget to say, "oh, yeah, well...you can do that, but you can't get there from here." LOL!

Hitch
Old 11-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #14
sallyember
sallyember began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle and Desktop Dell
Smile Thanks, Everyone!

Really appreciate all the help. Yes, my problem were lists. Removed and put in symbols for bullets instead, as someone suggested. Passed second time through! YEAH! Best to you all and Happy Chanksgivinkah!
sallyember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:17 PM   #15
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Good job Sallyember and thanks to everyone!!

Others are right that the line numbers given are indeed in generated ePub doc, not in your word doc, so they don't really help you with your doc itself. Trying to figure out what the error actually means is a good way to go!

Another option would be to download the epub we created, unzip it, and then find those line numbers in the files it complains about.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub check, epub conversion errors, smashwords