Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-29-2009, 07:00 PM   #16
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
ALL have lost their cables and transfer books only by loading up their SD cards. Some less-techie users find it easier to deal with swapping out SD cards than hunting up an anonymous looking cable...
You realize that the USB cable that comes with the Kindle is the same cable used to charge the thing?
Teyrnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:19 PM   #17
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
What Teyron said. Plus both parts of the cable have "Amazon" written on them, so it's definitely not anonymous.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2009, 10:50 PM   #18
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teyrnon View Post
You realize that the USB cable that comes with the Kindle is the same cable used to charge the thing?
1) my friends don't have Kindles
2) the Kindle charges with an AC adapter as well
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:57 PM   #19
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Yes, but the AC adapter is a plug that fits on the end of the USB cable. The same cable is used for charging either by wall or a computer's USB port.

As for your first point, this thread is in the Kindle forum and pretty specifically about the kindle.
Teyrnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:57 PM   #20
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The AC adapter and the USB cable are actually one in the same. You just remove the AC plug to charge via computer.

Advert
Old 11-30-2009, 12:23 AM   #21
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Interesting...that's not always true...y'all must be talking about K2. I didn't realize they'd changed the adapter.

FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:04 AM   #22
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Interesting...that's not always true...y'all must be talking about K2. I didn't realize they'd changed the adapter.

Yes, we are talking about K2 because this whole thread is about K2 losing it's memory card slot.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:11 PM   #23
dwallbaum
Zealot
dwallbaum has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle2
If a card reader were added to the K2 via the USB cable, could that content be read by the K2?

I don't know how you could assign a drive letter, and it would be a kludge, but as an academic exercise could this work?

Don
dwallbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:03 PM   #24
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Why did Amazon remove the memory card slot on the Kindle 2? These cards are so cheap you could easily add 16GB to your Kindle and store tons of books and music.
This got asked when the K2 came out: Amazon comments on lack of SD card slot and user-removable battery

"Compared to the original Kindle, the Kindle 2 makes it convenient to keep content in one place," Tritschler said today. And the built-in 2GB of storage in the Kindle 2 means 1.4GB is available to the user -- almost eight times the 180MB of storage offered in the original Kindle, he said.

"That's room for 1,500 books," Tritschler said, noting that any book a Kindle user buys is backed up on Amazon's servers -- and is available to the reader at any time. "There's no need for additional storage."

The official Amazon answer: there's no SD card because you don't need that much storage capacity.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:10 PM   #25
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I agree with desertgrandma -- they're stupidheads.

I heard somewhere that they removed the replaceable battery and the SD card because those items would make the K2 thicker and they wanted it as thin as possible. The only problem with this arguement is that my cellphone is a Nokia XpressMusic and it is just as thin as the K2, a lot smaller, and it contains a replaceable battery and SD card.

I can also answer why you would want that much storage. I have a lot of PDFs that eat up a lot of storage, so unless you want to spend the time converting all your PDFs into .prc files then you really need the extra space.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:21 PM   #26
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
There is 2 major goofs that I think Amazon is perpetuating.
  1. No SD slot - this was almost a deal breaker for me. there is a lot more than books I'd like to keep on my Kindle DX.
  2. No way to permanently DELETE a book out of Amazons backed up to server. I've downloaded a few crappy free books and wanted them gone, I'm afraid they are forever destined to stay in my "Archive".
And, oh yeah Amazon DOES NOT backup any book you didn't buy from them. With no clear cut way to organize the archive and the aforementioned inability to delete them - the archive is going to become a mess soon for many people.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:25 PM   #27
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
While I also dislike the absence of an SD slot, it may be worth noting that my K1 had intermittant freeze and reindexing problems with the SD cards --removing the SD card always cured the problem. It may have been easier for Amazon not to solve the underlying bugs.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:27 PM   #28
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

I would rather have an SD Card slot than not but in all honesty I haven't needed it or missed it. I don't read PDF books but I do now have a few PDF manuals on my K2 and they don't seem to take up much space.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:29 PM   #29
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
My guess is it came down to two things: form factor and support.

They wanted a thinner, sleeker device so they switched to an internal battery and dropped the card slot, just like Apple does. Sure, microSD slots aren't that big but you can get more integrity on a thinner case if it doesn't have a hole.

Support is expensive and the external card leads to more support contacts. You have people with faulty cards that will likely contact Amazon support over missing data or malfunctioning files before they suspect their cards. You have people who can't be bothered to read the specs and see what kind of card to use and will contact support to find out which one they need. Also, K1 only delivered to the main memory which could fill up fast since there really wasn't much of it. People had to transfer stuff to a memory card or remove it from the Kindle to free up space. This is not difficult but I'm sure many people contacted support when they stopped getting their stuff because they didn't realize that was the issue.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:16 PM   #30
edge777
Kindle Enthusiastic
edge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2 International
Personally, no SD card makes no difference to me. It can hold 1500 books (why do I need to have more with me???). I can load my own docs via the USB cable. It's one less thing to lose or have pop out. Plus, if it made the Kindle $15 cheaper, great!
edge777 is offline   Reply With Quote