Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 11:59 PM   #136
asciibaron
Connoisseur
asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle 4 NT SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
You agreed and got paid to keep the ads on your device --- there is nothing more to it.
i got paid? that check must be in the mail
Old 01-01-2012, 12:06 AM   #137
Sassapphras
A Jane of All Trades
Sassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipseSassapphras can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You realize of, course, that there's people other than Americans in this discussion?
You are absolutely right. However someone else mentioned what's wrong with America is nobody taking responsibility for their own actions (which I agree). I thought I'd just give my own input. I'm American, BTW.
Advert
Old 01-01-2012, 02:17 AM   #138
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by asciibaron View Post
there is a word for those people, politicians.

just so i have this right - it is unselfish to mod the Kindle is it is a feature you like but selfish if the device is modded to remove the ads. who exactly is the selfish one?

much ado about nothing.
Now you're just putting words in my mouth. I was responding to your comment, "how many people could eat from the lavish holiday meals we choke down? how many people are evicted from crappy rental apartments each week? how many malnourished children are there tonight? tell me more about your ethical civilized world." You might just as easily, and equally incorrectly, said I was stating that modifying the Kindle was taking food out of the mouths of widows and orphans. I never made the claim that it was selfish or unselfish to remove the ads. My only claim is that it isn't ethical for a customer to accept a discount in return for a device with ads, then not hold up the consumer's end of that bargain.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #139
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassapphras View Post
(although his smart remarks are pure entertainment to me)
Entertaining, it's like watching a child trying to argue a point
Old 01-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #140
asciibaron
Connoisseur
asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Entertaining, it's like watching a child trying to argue a point
more like pushing people to validate why one form of violating the terms is completely different than another and why one is good for all and the other bad.

seems several people can talk out both sides their mouths while looking down their nose with disdain.

so far "victimless crime" has been offered as a reason why violating a contract is not an issue since that doesn't take money out of Amazon's coffers. should we examine that train of thought a little more deeply or ignore it for the foolishness that it is?

in the end, what i do in my bedroom is my business.

Last edited by asciibaron; 01-01-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Advert
Old 01-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #141
asciibaron
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
My only claim is that it isn't ethical for a customer to accept a discount in return for a device with ads, then not hold up the consumer's end of that bargain.
once i have paid my six pence, the device is mine, yes? therefore i can drill holes in it,m both physically and virtually - and that is between me and Amazon, not some arbitrator of morality and ethics on the interwebs.

i could care less what you think of my actions, if they really are my actions. how can you trust the word of an unethical person?
Old 01-01-2012, 12:58 PM   #142
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
in the end, what i do in my bedroom is my business.
I agree. So why not keep your business in your bedroom instead of sharing it on the internet, then?
Old 01-01-2012, 01:09 PM   #143
asciibaron
Connoisseur

Quote:
I agree. So why not keep your business in your bedroom instead of sharing it on the internet, then?
why are you bothering to evangelize your ethics in a thread that is going to naturally attract those who do not share your belief and will most likely poke fun at you for do just that?

seriously, don't you have better things to do than tell people you are a more righteous person because you spent $30 or $40 more to get the same functionality? why not also tell them how you gave blood today and paid for a child's cleft lip surgery, because you are clearly so much more of a person than someone who finds amusement in what can only be seen as a trivial thing; removing ads from a device they will look at for hundreds of hours on end.

you must need a ladder to get on that horse's saddle.

Last edited by asciibaron; 01-01-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #144
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
someone who finds amusement in what can only be seen as a trivial thing; removing ads from a device they will look at for hundreds of hours on end.
If it's trivial, don't remove the ads. If it's important to you, pay the fee.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #145
asciibaron
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
If it's trivial, don't remove the ads. If it's important to you, pay the fee.
or hop on the internet and tell everyone else how they should live. it is trivial in the grand scheme of things - by passing some ads is not in the same arena as combating AIDS or feeding starving children.

this entire argument is rather pedantic and trite - we get it, YOU would never compromise your ethics to save some money, i would because i'd rather spend that $30.00 to help the relief in Haiti.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:36 PM   #146
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
So now you're Robin hood?
Old 01-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #147
asciibaron
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
i can totally see why i'd want these "special offers" on my device. i have been a fool to think otherwise. i have been assimilated.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #148
asciibaron
Connoisseur

Quote:
So now you're Robin hood?
do you have a problem with helping displaced people recover from a horrific disaster? some set of ethics you have.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #149
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
do you have a problem with helping displaced people recover from a horrific disaster?
None at all.

It was your assertion that the $30 you saved by defrauding Amazon was going to the poor and unfortunate that lead to the Robin Hood comparison.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:54 PM   #150
asciibaron
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
None at all.

It was your assertion that the $30 you saved by defrauding Amazon was going to the poor and unfortunate that lead to the Robin Hood comparison.
i understood your lame reasoning...

you're just jealous you don't look as dashing in the tights
Closed Thread