Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #31
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Techno helps. Not sure why, but it helps a ton.
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:04 AM   #32
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Bring me over for a while. Your reading will seem a sweet stroll through paradise in comparison. Expensive? Yes, but worth it.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #33
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
You don't read a textbook like you would a novel. Take notes, develop your own examples to illustrate core principles and terminology. Reflect on the material, then reread. If you finish that book, read it again or pick up a different book and compare/contrast the approaches. Be active in reading, if you're not thinking about the ideas the entire time, you're not learning effectively.
I second this. You might read novels lazily, but with textbooks you should keep thinking, be alert. No matter how long, you should give it 100% of your concentration. Do comparisons and re-organize the ideas to your likings - those help memorizing.

And always, I mean, alllllwaaaays, reread. At least once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beginner-reader View Post
I have to finish the book by Friday morning so I'll work hard tomorrow. I have 60 pages left to read, so I should be done in 4-5 hours tops, probably less.
And have you finished? Did you find our advices useful?
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #34
Beginner-reader
Enthusiast
Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
No, I haven't finished the book yet. Yes, some of the advice has helped me, but I'll have to start over because I didn't take notes like I should have. I guess it's a bit of a trial-and-error thing. I've had lots of work recently and I didn't feel like finishing this book because it wasn't that high on my priority list anymore. Now, it's pretty much at the top of the list again.

I did read 7 books about poker while procrastinating, but at a speed of 400 to 500 words per minute. I just got a Kindle so I thought I'd treat myself. Now that I've done that, I'll have to re-read this book (and maybe finish it first).
Beginner-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:29 PM   #35
Jane Oldaker
Groupie
Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung G3 Tablet, Kobo Vox
I had to read some absolutely turgid, had to force myself word by word stuff in the process of becoming an accountant. For the really bad stuff I used a pencil to keep my eyes on the words (much like some folks read with their finger skimming the lines) I made a pencil slash after every paragraph after I read it and I fixed break points in advance. I too am curious as to what your reading - the stuff I am thinking of was extremely technical and unloveable in the extreme. One foot, other foot - put it behind you.
Jane Oldaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #36
Beginner-reader
Enthusiast
Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beginner-reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm reading a book on phonetics (I gave its title a few messages ago).
I'll probably do what you're doing, thanks.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #37
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I know it is hard to believe, but some law texts are kind of dry. I always found if I studied at night and then slept, I retained it better.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #38
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
if you don't dig your area of expertise, perhaps it's not for you

I can't wait to have enough greek knowledge to read the classics in their native tongue. It's all about enthusiasm
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #39
Beginner-reader
Enthusiast

Oh, I love phonetics. It's just that particular area of phonetics that (sometimes) makes my skin crawl.
There's always that one thing in any domain that ones hate.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:43 PM   #40
Jane Oldaker
Groupie
Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung G3 Tablet, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
I must be a slow reader since it usually takes me a couple of minutes to read a page for information, and I've read books where it could easily take over an hour to understand a single page. (Granted, those were heavy in mathematical physics.)

Anyhow, one thing I've done is breaking up reading sessions. I set a 15 minute alarm, then read for two intervals and get up and move around for one interval.

Interval reading - I like it!
Jane Oldaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #41
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
I find with technical stuff I would read perhaps as much as a chapter fairly quickly to get the feel of what it's about, then have a break and go back later, reading much more slowly and in detail. With paper-based books I usually deface them with marginal notes, but with the kindle you can highlight and bookmark important bits. I would expect to read every chapter at least three times, and maybe more if I find I am forgetting anything important.

As others have said, trying to apply what you have learnt in the chapter is an important part of learning.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #42
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
Dear Beginner,

Take notes while reading, and then post a review on Amazon. That will force you to concentrate, and any mistakes you make in summarizing the book will be met by (unflattering) comments by other users.

Signed,

Woebegone sufferer of slings and arrows
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:43 AM   #43
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I think we've lost him....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:45 AM   #44
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
I have to finish the book by Friday morning so I'll work hard tomorrow. I have 60 pages left to read, so I should be done in 4-5 hours tops, probably less.

I read in the car for over an hour today and it went well--it seems like the hardest chapters were the first ones, since they were full of rules and exceptions to said rules (sigh).

I don't think walking outside would be a good idea because it's too cold right now. I'll probably try it when the weather's nicer.
Well, did you finish the book that started all this?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:21 PM   #45
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
No, I haven't finished the book yet. Yes, some of the advice has helped me, but I'll have to start over because I didn't take notes like I should have. I guess it's a bit of a trial-and-error thing. I've had lots of work recently and I didn't feel like finishing this book because it wasn't that high on my priority list anymore. Now, it's pretty much at the top of the list again.

I did read 7 books about poker while procrastinating, but at a speed of 400 to 500 words per minute. I just got a Kindle so I thought I'd treat myself. Now that I've done that, I'll have to re-read this book (and maybe finish it first).
@ KennyC: no, obviously our good-natured advices went unnoticed
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote