Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-15-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Fictionwise has shut down!

Just read on Teleread that Fictionwise is shutting down, effective December 4. US and UK customers will be given the choice to move their libraries to their Nook account.

http://www.teleread.com/chris-meadow...and-ebookwise/

[Mod: There's a transition FAQ on the Fictionwise website:
http://www.fictionwise.com/BN-Transition-FAQ.htm

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-17-2012 at 05:15 PM. Reason: fixed link / Last edited by pdurrant; Yesterday at 01:10 AM. Reason: added FAQ link
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:02 AM   #2
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Ahhh, bummer.

But I figured it was only a matter of time.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:16 AM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I want to be sad - this used to be my most favorite place, before B&N bought them, before Agency pricing.

I wonder if eReader.com will be too?

LATER EDIT: Just read this on the Fictionwise FAQ:

Quote:
Fictionwise, comprised of several eBooks retail websites including Fictionwise.com, eReader.com and eBookwise.com ("Fictionwise Websites") is in the process of winding down its operations. Over the past three years there has been a significant decrease in demand for many of the eBook formats that the Fictionwise Websites sell. In contrast, the eBook format supported by Barnes & Noble--ePub--is growing in popularity.

Last edited by FizzyWater; 11-16-2012 at 01:45 AM.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:06 AM   #4
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Just read on Teleread that Fictionwise is shutting down, effective December 4. US and UK customers will be given the choice to move their libraries to their Nook account.

http://www.teleread.com/chris-meadow...and-ebookwise/
I got the email from Fictionwise. Sad, but I expected it.
I'd like to see how BN shall deal with those customer who are not US and UK, since officially they do not deal with them.

Last edited by brudigia; 11-16-2012 at 01:19 AM.
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:12 AM   #5
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I want to be sad - this used to be my most favorite place, before B&N bought them, before Agency pricing.

I wonder if eReader.com will be too?
Agency pricing devastated Fictionwise. It never recovered.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:47 AM   #6
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Agency pricing devastated Fictionwise. It never recovered.
Geographical Restrictions (post-BN purchase) made sure I could never buy anything from Fictionwise long before agency pricing. Like others, I want to be sad, but the reality is I moved on long ago and I guess everyone else did too.
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:54 AM   #7
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Even though Fictionwise is a mere shell of what they used to be, their sales kept the magazines and multi-format titles pretty affordable. I just picked up what may be my last purchases there with a roughly 55% discount. I doubt I'll ever see that at the main B&N ebook store. I'm disappointed that B&N hasn't revealed how to transfer titles to one's Nook account yet, or which titles will transfer. I lost a few titles after 4/1/2010, maybe they'll be available again.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:11 AM   #8
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I moved in June and realized that I hadn't updated my contact info on the Fictionwise and eReader sites. So I haven't seen the actual email that's been sent out. I wonder if the email "coming in November" will explain how to opt-in and/or transfer to B&N.

From the FAQ, it sounds like you'll have two choices to review: 1) transfer the bookshelf that can be transferred - and I doubt it'll be all the eBooks - to B&N and 2) create new B&N accounts from the Fictionwise and/or eReader accounts or provide current B&N account information to transfer the (available) eBooks to.

LATER EDIT: For anyone still actually reading their eReader/Palm Digital Media ebooks in their unliberated format, you might also want to redownload ALL the available software from eReader.com in the hopes that you'll be able to keep installing one or another of them, depending on what hardware you have.

Last edited by FizzyWater; 11-16-2012 at 02:13 AM.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:22 AM   #9
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I heard the rumors about Fictionwise being in trouble a long while back and downloaded my books and dumped them into Calibre just in case. Thankfully it was all DRM-free Multi-format stuff.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:51 AM   #10
shenye
Zealot
shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mail received too:

Quote:
Dear eReader.com Customer,

As you may know, in March of 2009, Fictionwise (comprised of several eBook retail websites, including Fictionwise.com, eReader.com and eBookwise.com) was acquired by Barnes & Noble.

eReader.com is in the process of winding down its operations. eReader.com will end sales on December 4, 2012 and you will not be able to access your eReader.com Bookshelf through the site after January 31, 2013.

If you haven't done so already, we recommend that you back up all files by January 31, 2013. You can learn more about downloading your eReader.com files here: http://www.ereader.com/BN-Transition-FAQ.htm.

If you have an eMagazine subscription with undelivered issues, we will reimburse you as they will no longer be valid after December 4, 2012. You will receive a separate communication regarding this matter.

For more information about the eReader.com wind down, including additional details on how this change in service will apply to eMagazine subscriptions and more, please visit our FAQ web page: http://www.ereader.com/BN-Transition-FAQ.htm

We greatly appreciate your support of eReader.com over the years. Together, we helped pioneer eBooks and eReading.

Thank you.

The eReader.com Team
shenye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:25 AM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
No email here yet, but that may be because I'm outside the US. Luckily, I'm in the UK, so my library should (mostly) get transferred to nook.

Also, my Fictionwise Buywise club runs out on 3 October 2017. Since they say that "Customers with an unexpired Buywise Club membership will receive a pro-rated refund by 12/21/2012 in the form of a check for the remaining time in their membership." I think that means I should be getting a $120+ refund from them.

But for non-US and non-UK customers it's rather bleak. No transfer of fictionwise library anywhere, just loss of new downloads of all books after 31st January 2013. Which for Secure Mobipocket books means loss of access after your current devices die, unless you are friends with Apprentice Alf.

(I've just made sure my Fictionwise and B&N account details are all up-to-date. Over the years, I've bought 1448 books at Fictionwise, of which 1423 are still in my Fictionwise bookshelf. I have 182 books in my nook bookshelf (all freebies). It will be interesting to see how many of the 1423 make it over to my nook account when the time comes.)

(I've just checked my bookshelf. Although it says 1423, it only lists 1422 items, consisting of 846 Multiformat, 475 Secure Mobipocket, 48 Secure eReader, 8 Secure Microsoft, 38 Secure Adobe ePub, 2 audiobooks and 5 subscription listings. Seven of the 475 Secure Mobipocket are marked as EXPIRED, which means they were lost when one of the Mobipocket distributors pulled their books from Fictionwise. This means I have 1406 available ebooks in my Fictionwise bokshelf that could get transferred to my nook account.)

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-16-2012 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Details of my fictionwise bookshelf.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:38 AM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
Geographical Restrictions (post-BN purchase) made sure I could never buy anything from Fictionwise long before agency pricing. Like others, I want to be sad, but the reality is I moved on long ago and I guess everyone else did too.

I, too, moved on a long time ago (about 1.5 years ago).

Nothing to see here.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:49 AM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I, too, moved on a long time ago (about 1.5 years ago).

Nothing to see here.
I agree it's not surprising, although arranging the cutoff for US customers just before the Christmas holidays seems a bit odd.

I am pleased that they are going to attempt to move US and UK customers to a nook account, but I suspect that their many non-UK/US customers are going to be rather irritated.

This is important info for anyone with a significant number of Fictionwise purchases. Probably your last chance to download the most recent release of the books you've bought.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:58 AM   #14
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I've moved on for all but my Asimov's magazine now, but it will still be a sad day. For me at least it marks the end of the first era of ebooks, when it was an exciting niche market ahead of the curve.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:02 AM   #15
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
B&N bought them and then destroyed them. I'm going to sit back and wait for the same thing to happen to them! Rot in hell B&N!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote