Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-08-2009, 08:23 AM   #16
mklynds
That guy, no not that guy
mklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with others

Device: PRS600 Red
No go in Canada as well.
mklynds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:44 AM   #17
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
I've read a lot of people here raving about Pratchett, but I've not read any. Is this an okay book to start with?
I would say probably not, though I concede the same lack of favour as PieOPah.

In my opinion, the Discworld books are read best in published order, due to the development of some of the jokes/characters/events that occur. It's not essential (and certainly some disagree), and some folk find they prefer to follow character arcs rather than published order (eg. reading all the Witches-centric ones).

I'll note, however, that my suggestion of "published order" might leave the first two in your path, ones that some folk find are a bit "slow" to get going. I didn't find them so, (not in the least) but some did. We'd likely both agree, however, that they're easy to get through considering how short they are. (I'm already smirking at memories of the Luggage though - all those feet, and that unstoppable loyalty...makes me giggle remembering ).

My favourites...probably Hogfather, Small Gods and possibly Night Watch. Death and Susan are probably my favourite characters. This helps you not in the least.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2009, 08:57 AM   #18
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mklynds View Post
No go in Canada as well.
not in canada ?? that's odd, since shortcovers is a canadian company...

not in france either, *sigh*. for once a free book i actually really wanted, too.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:23 AM   #19
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Quote:
In my opinion, the Discworld books are read best in published order, due to the development of some of the jokes/characters/events that occur. It's not essential (and certainly some disagree), and some folk find they prefer to follow character arcs rather than published order (eg. reading all the Witches-centric ones).

I'll note, however, that my suggestion of "published order" might leave the first two in your path, ones that some folk find are a bit "slow" to get going. I didn't find them so, (not in the least) but some did.
I'm very much with montsnmags on this.

Pratchett himself says that it was after he had written the first novels when he "discovered the advantages of a plot" .

The first ones are funny enough but more in the way of a set of hilarious anecdotes. But generally the published order seems preferable.

Try and have fun !

(No, despite the avatar I'm definitely not an expert on T.P. but a longtime fan. Some of the jokes are to good to miss. I really hope he can master his sad illness for some time to come.)
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:44 AM   #20
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Death and Susan are probably my favourite characters. This helps you not in the least.

Cheers,
Marc
I'd probably agree with you there. Death is most definitely my favourite character. Susan is great (especially in the Hogfather) and I love the development of Mort.

Once upon a time, Rincewind used to be my favourite, but for some reason, I slowly lost interest in him and fell into favour with the Night Watch, specifically Carrot...

To be honest, there are just so many different groups and I love 'em all...
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2009, 10:25 AM   #21
Wario
Connoisseur
Wario began at the beginning.

This look good, havn't got up to Jingo yet, just finished 'Small Gods'. I change my IP address later when I get home.

But Death & Rincewind would be my top two favourite.
Wario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:56 AM   #22
weedfreak
Addict
weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.weedfreak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: calibre
For my money you can't beat Granny Weatherwax especially if you read her in a typical witches voice. The other thing is she reminds me of myself!
weedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:10 PM   #23
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedfreak View Post
For my money you can't beat Granny Weatherwax especially if you read her in a typical witches voice. The other thing is she reminds me of myself!
I ATEN'T DEAD
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:03 PM   #24
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Jingo by Terry Pratchett is free in epub from Shortcovers. it is #21 in the Discworld series

http://www.shortcovers.com/mixes/Jin...rIg/page1.html
Quote:
Oops!

This content has been deleted by its creator.
Hmm. Can anyone upload content to Shortcovers?
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 01:46 PM   #25
Rafardeon
Enthusiast
Rafardeon began at the beginning.

Any idea why it's gone?
Rafardeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:10 PM   #26
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafardeon View Post
Any idea why it's gone?
Maybe it wasn't supposed to be free and somebody entered it wrong into their database.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:27 PM   #27
JvdW
Zealot
JvdW doesn't litterJvdW doesn't litter

Device: Palm T5, Sony PRS-505, Nook Color
Oh boy, Am I glad I downloaded it first thing when I came home

Joop
JvdW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:22 PM   #28
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
At least it wasn't on a Kindle so that Amazon could take it back from you...
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:21 AM   #29
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
I'd recommend reading them in order, the first couple of books are still good, but will seem worse if you leave them till later.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:48 AM   #30
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
It's been a long time since I read this one but I do recall it as being one of my least favourite.

As far as I can remember, I started with one of the Death books. I think it was either Mort or Reaper Man.
Tastes vary of course; I quite liked Jingo, and my favourites are the Watch books - eg. Guards! Guards! I've just finished reading Unseen Academicals and really enjoyed it.

And to answer the original question - it doesn't really matter where one starts, since the books aren't really a series. That is, they may have some common characters, and there is some development over time, but each book is self contained.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote