Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-22-2008, 10:00 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Serious suggestion - take out the battery, then take the Kindle into the shower and THOROUGHLY rinse it with warm water. The problem with coffee is that it leaves sticky deposits, and you need to wash those off.

As long as you leave it in a warm place afterwards to THOROUGHLY dry (I'd give it a week) it'll probably be OK.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:01 AM   #17
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have you given Amazon a call to find out what can be done with the one you have? It cannot hurt to find out what Amazon will do for you. Besides, it will help us tell better what kind of support Amazon has for the Kindle when it's broken by user error.
Why should Amazon (or any manufacturer) support a product that has been damaged by customer carelessness?

"Gee, Mr. Ferrari, my car missed the corner and went over the 2,000 foot cliff. What kind of support do you offer?"
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2008, 10:21 AM   #18
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
Why should Amazon (or any manufacturer) support a product that has been damaged by customer carelessness?

"Gee, Mr. Ferrari, my car missed the corner and went over the 2,000 foot cliff. What kind of support do you offer?"
I think he meant that we'll see what repair support is available for end-user errors. If I drop my Ferrari off a clif, I'm pretty certain that there will be a body shop somewhere that will be able to address repairs. If, in my caffeine deprived state, I read my donut whilst dunking my Kindle, I's like to know if there is some sort of place to make repairs, or that I need to buy a new one.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:26 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm sure we'll see third-party repair services offered for Kindles if it becomes a commercial success.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:35 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post

The circuit board(s) that are inside the Kindle no way cost $360 to replace. So not having a repair facility is not a good think in this case. it's not like the screen was damaged.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2008, 10:42 AM   #21
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
The circuit board(s) that are inside the Kindle no way cost $360 to replace. So not having a repair facility is not a good think in this case. it's not like the screen was damaged.
It's common practice among consumer electronics providers to charge a flat fee that often surpasses the original price of the broken unit. Hence it is usually cheaper to replace it with a new device, which is, I've heard, what Amazon is generously doing in many cases for the Kindle.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:07 AM   #22
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcmonroe View Post
It limps along. I can open books and read them, but the wireless is very, very buggy. I can get to the store, but that's about it. Also, I can't put it to sleep and wake it up reliably. I haven't tested the recharger. I'm kind of scared to. We're getting a new one. I'm probably going to keep it hermitically sealed.

Frances
When you do get your new one, have you considered this sleeve for the Kindle? Not totally waterproof, but can help avert those "oh CRAP" moments........

http://www.buymedge.com/p_kindleLs.html

I notice its unavailable thru amazon right now, but seems to be in stock thru the company...
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:12 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
It's common practice among consumer electronics providers to charge a flat fee that often surpasses the original price of the broken unit. Hence it is usually cheaper to replace it with a new device, which is, I've heard, what Amazon is generously doing in many cases for the Kindle.
Not in this case. Amazon doesn't have a repair facility for the Kindle. So if something breaks, it's broken or replaced at full cost.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:33 AM   #24
fcmonroe
fcmonroe is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Serious suggestion - take out the battery, then take the Kindle into the shower and THOROUGHLY rinse it with warm water. The problem with coffee is that it leaves sticky deposits, and you need to wash those off.

As long as you leave it in a warm place afterwards to THOROUGHLY dry (I'd give it a week) it'll probably be OK.

My husband is saying no to this since we live in a area with hard water. I may try room temperature distilled water.
fcmonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:43 AM   #25
dynamike
Enthusiast
dynamike began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG, PRS-505
As noted before I would also remove the battery, disassemble the unit, clean the parts with clean or distilled water and let everything dry before reassembly.

Why not at least try when you are ready to buy a replacement anyway?
dynamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:39 PM   #26
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not in this case. Amazon doesn't have a repair facility for the Kindle. So if something breaks, it's broken or replaced at full cost.
Well if it's not covered under warranty... but who cares about repairing a broken unit if the fees for repair exceed the price of a new unit? This is my experience with mass consumer electronics: unless you can use your warranty, you are better off buying a new unit (or have it repaired by a 3rd party).
Old 08-22-2008, 12:45 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Well if it's not covered under warranty... but who cares about repairing a broken unit if the fees for repair exceed the price of a new unit? This is my experience with mass consumer electronics: unless you can use your warranty, you are better off buying a new unit (or have it repaired by a 3rd party).
Just as an example, Sony charges less to replace the screen then to buy a new 505. But given how much Sony charges, I would expect the electronics to be not all that much if they needed to be replaced. Same I would hope would go for the Kindle. They get units back with broken screens with the other electronics just fine. Why not just pull the electronics from one of those units, put it in this unit and ship it back? Problem solved. And I'd expect it to cost less then 1/2 the price of a new unit.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:59 PM   #28
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Just as an example, Sony charges less to replace the screen then to buy a new 505.
If not under warranty or under accidental damage cover, how much do they charge, including shipping costs?

Quote:
Why not just pull the electronics from one of those units, put it in this unit and ship it back? Problem solved.
Because this is not how mass consumer electronics biz works. They don't employ people who go through an array of broken units to assemble fixed ones. It doesn't pay.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:01 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The screen is more then 1/2 the cost of these readers. So if the screen is fine, then a repair cost should be less then 1/2 the cost of a brand new unit.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:06 PM   #30
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Jon, you said Sony charged less to replace the screen then it would cost you to buy a new 505. How much do they charge in total?

They don't care how much it actually costs to fix a problem. They apply standard flat rates for material costs, handling costs, and shipping costs, and these usually exceed the price of a new e-book reader.

Tags
duck!