Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-17-2008, 06:10 PM   #1
FranSeaLou
FranSeaLou began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle on way...what accessories are must-haves?

I just ordered my Kindle and cannot wait to start using it.

What accessories do you all recommend? Is the case that comes with it sufficient, or should I consider an alternative?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
FranSeaLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
MoSo
Crankier than average
MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle #1, Kindle #2; internet appliance - The Chumby.
Lots and lots of books....

The only really necessary thing is a book light. I like the Xtraflex 2 on the Amazon website, with the high and low settings.

The case takes some getting used to, but you can get by with it. Just like getting used to the large page forward and page back buttons, it takes some time to get used to the gentle snap-and-push-in the case takes.

I bought a spare charger, just so I have one upstairs and one downstairs, but that wasn't necessary. There are some nice aftermarket cases, depending on what your needs in a case are.

It does come with a short instruction file on it, which doesn't quite answer all of the questions you might have, but that's what we're here for....
MoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2008, 07:04 PM   #3
FranSeaLou

Thank you for the quick response. I have every intention of filling it with books ASAP.

I guess I didn't realize the booklight was so necessary. I've never really found the need for a booklight when reading paper books on an airplane, so, I figured the Kindle would be about the same. I guess not. I'll hold off, though, and buy one after I've tried out the Kindle.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I do have a lot of free classics that I've downloaded from here and places like Feedbooks. Personally, I haven't filled my Kindle in advance with books to read. I have a ton of free samples, but I don't feel the need to buy a book unless I want to read it right now. Getting a book is so convenient that unless I'm collecting for collecting's sake I don't see a big benefit to it. I might buy a few books in advance this week because I'm leaving the country next week on a trip and I'm not sure how good my Internet access will be while I'm away but here at home, I have Whispernet everywhere I am in my day-to-day life.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:11 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i would agree that the most important accessory for a reader is books. be sure to take a look at the free books available on this site ("e-books" link in the blue bar at the top of the page ; for kindle, get mobipocket format) as well as other sites like feedbooks.com, munseys, etc.

i don't know what conditions you like to read in but i always read with ambiant light from a lamp so i don't need a special booklight ; i think that in general, if you have enough light to read a paper book, you have enough light to read a kindle. i know that a lot of people need booklights so they can read without disturbing other people by keeping the light on. i think you're right, wait until you have it, and see how you like it. you might not need a booklight at all.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2008, 09:52 AM   #6
etitameh
Enthusiast
etitameh doesn't litteretitameh doesn't litter

i actually have LESS need of a booklight with my kindle than with paper books... when reading in dim light, where i might have needed a booklight for a paper book, i can just increase the font size 1 or 2 notches on my kindle, and voila! readability.
etitameh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:50 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by etitameh View Post
i actually have LESS need of a booklight with my kindle than with paper books... when reading in dim light, where i might have needed a booklight for a paper book, i can just increase the font size 1 or 2 notches on my kindle, and voila! readability.
heh, good point. try THAT with a paper book !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:59 AM   #8
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
And, I have only found it necessary to have a book light where I would have needed one for a regular paperback or hardback as well.

So ... if you generally don't read with one, reading the Kindle won't change that.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:41 PM   #9
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
I'd recommend a replacement cover, both from a security and an aesthetic standpoint. I've got a M-Edge brown faux-leather cover which I like a lot. It completely changes the profile of the Kindle and holds it securely in place.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:32 PM   #10
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranSeaLou View Post
I just ordered my Kindle and cannot wait to start using it.

What accessories do you all recommend? Is the case that comes with it sufficient, or should I consider an alternative?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
I too would recommend the M-edge cover. I have the red one and it's really nice, plus it folds back with a wider left edge that makes it easier to hold without pushing the page buttons on the Kindle. Additionally, get a library card. Many public libraries offer mobipocket format ebooks that will work with your Kindle, with a little conversion.
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:26 PM   #11
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
A book stand is very nice. I have one on my breakfast table where I read the Chicago Tribune every morning.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:42 PM   #12
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Oh, if we're talking covers ... I still love my zippered cover from Franklin Covey.

Or .... get a custom one from Frank N. (You'll have to look up the website by searching here in the forum for "Frank N." ... it's got a dog in the title.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:01 PM   #13
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
You need a Kindle Reader t-shirt from Cafepress
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:28 PM   #14
questionfear
Connoisseur
questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Another vote for the m-edge case! I got my Kindle last Thursday, and wasn't thrilled with the stock case, so I ordered the m-edge case. Spent the weekend with the stock case and got more used to it by Monday, but when my m-edge case arrived there was no comparison.

It's only been a day but so far the m-edge case is much better. I like the quality, the feel, and the sense of security (I just didn't trust the stock case even after I got the hang of that little notch).
questionfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 12:26 AM   #15
FranSeaLou

Thank you everyone

Thank you for your replies.

The new Kindle has shipped & has an estimated arrival date of 8/27. I can hardly wait! I have, so far, resisted the urge to buy any accessories or books for it until I have it in my hot little hands. It is difficult, though. I love to shop!

Thanks again for all your advice!