Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-20-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
Potential Kobo Software Bugs?

After installing the Kobo software, i was pretty unimpressed... it felt extremely slow, seemed to freeze every couple of seconds and just generally felt like loading a webpage with a 56k modem.

Lo and behold, after plugging the kobo into the computer the software works perfectly and responsively.

I just wanted to flag this as a potential bug.

Secondly, after making sure all my books were read so i only had the book/books i was currently reading in the 'im reading' page the software seems to have lost that information somewhere in between updating the library and syncing to the kobo... resulting in me loosing my f*cking page on 3 books and also loading up all my books into the 'im reading' page again.

Is this a bug as well, or did i cock something up?
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:49 PM   #2
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
Bug. Get used to it. I have learned to ignore what is on my 'I'm reading' list and write down what page I am on in books I am reading.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2010, 09:12 PM   #3
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Get used to it?
Err... ok.
I would think Kobo would want to address at least the software polling/searching for the kobo reader every couple of seconds causing the software to run like it's glitching constantly.

My apologies for bringing any bugs to light, i shall stick my head firmly in the sand from hereon in
Old 07-20-2010, 09:26 PM   #4
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_steve View Post

Secondly, after making sure all my books were read so i only had the book/books i was currently reading in the 'im reading' page the software seems to have lost that information somewhere in between updating the library and syncing to the kobo... resulting in me loosing my f*cking page on 3 books and also loading up all my books into the 'im reading' page again.

This has been reported to Kobo, and I was hoping that it would be fixed with the 1.4 update. Its why I wont use the Kobo software (well that an its slow) at the moment because I hate how it resets the books and reups the I'm reading page.
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:42 PM   #5
digital_steve
Muppet

It is 100 times quicker when the kobo reader is plugged in!
Pretty big software cock up in my opinion. I'm sure they'll fix it
Advert
Old 07-20-2010, 10:48 PM   #6
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

"cock up" is a good thing in Canada.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:28 PM   #7
digital_steve
Muppet

That explains why you're such a dominant global power
Old 07-21-2010, 09:54 AM   #8
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
It also explains why we built the CN Tower
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:33 PM   #9
digital_steve
Muppet

LOL! very nice
Old 07-21-2010, 10:31 PM   #10
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_steve View Post
After installing the Kobo software, i was pretty unimpressed... it felt extremely slow, seemed to freeze every couple of seconds and just generally felt like loading a webpage with a 56k modem.

Lo and behold, after plugging the kobo into the computer the software works perfectly and responsively.

I just wanted to flag this as a potential bug.

Various rooster-related comments notwithstanding...

There's no reason why this should be the case.

(But you probably saw that coming ) There are parts of the app which use only locally stored data, and other parts which call out to a server. The store, the sign in process, creating an account, are such call-outs and are often subject to slow downs. Whereas reading, browsing your book collection are examples of local-only tasks. Are you finding both slow at all times and having them speed up when you connect the eReader?

We do know that there are some performance issues when connecting to our servers from down under, but the local stuff should work fine.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:46 AM   #11
digital_steve
Muppet

Both slow at all times until the Kobo reader is connected. Like it's polling something every couple of seconds.
The performance issues to your servers are slow, but usable.
Being able to maintain bookmarks and read books across the Kobo server, library and reader is CRITICAL and needs to be addressed.
Other random things, like books with covers showing as having no covers until you load them... and then they still show in the Kobo reader library as a blank cover.
It's odd behaviour
Old 07-22-2010, 01:08 AM   #12
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post

We do know that there are some performance issues when connecting to our servers from down under, but the local stuff should work fine.
Is there a possibility of Borders stores here being able to provide firmware upgrades instore via SD card or a download be available for SD upgrades? I hate firmware upgrades at the best of times but the hit and miss statistics to take the Kobo from 1.0 to 1.4 is making me most wary.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:35 AM   #13
wintermute000
wintermute000 began at the beginning.

OMG THANK GOD FOR THIS THREAD

I was tearing my hair out , further the stupid app wouldn't even sync any website purchases until you plug in your kobo. WHAT THE!!!!!
wintermute000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:38 AM   #14
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermute000 View Post
OMG THANK GOD FOR THIS THREAD

I was tearing my hair out , further the stupid app wouldn't even sync any website purchases until you plug in your kobo. WHAT THE!!!!!
Too many cooks. Too many checks. Too many aims to keep secret.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:08 AM   #15
digital_steve
Muppet

Glad it helped

Tags
bug