Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 05:41 AM   #31
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
as i've mentioned in another topic:
MobileRSS HD. It allows you to sync with google reader (rss). Nothing notable if you read the description or see the screenshots:

Other apps can do it or looks better you'd say. But it's the usability that counts.
It syncs and downloads in the background. So you can continue reading your feeds, while it updates on the fly.
Unlike certain apps where you have to wait till the sync is done.
It also allows offline reading if you let it run while connected.
Another important aspect is, it download images from articles smartly. IE. you're reading article 1? then it'll download images for article 2 first, so when you go to the next article, it's already in cache. (although it seems to have trouble rendering at portrait. It's slower to "load and show" the image. On landscape it's there instantly.

MobileRSS has by far the most integration with 3rd party services (twitter, instapaper, readitlater, etc)
see this screenshot:

Of course, for comics I like ComicZeal4 http://www.bitolithic.com/comic-zeal-v4

It's initial version were kinda bland and not really user friendly. But after 8 revisions, it has evolved to a robust, user friendly app.
What's so special new version?
Magic background color: if a page isn't fullscreen, the background color will be changed into the color of the margincolor of the page. IE. if the margins were white, the background will be filled with white. If black, it'd be filled with black. It seems like nothing special, but it does increase the reading experience a lot.
Also very important, it's OS-globally referenced as an app for cbr/cbz/zip/rar-files. Meaning that you can open these files from any other app into comiczeal (download through dropbox, read in comiczeal)
It allows you to lower the brightness, just like ibooks.
It'll popup the next-chapter/comic when you're finished with one, so you can continue reading.
Remembers where you're left off.

But there is one itunes-problem... when transferring files through itunes USB-transfer, itunes would scan the app's docdir for the filesizes. After 10GB worth of decompressed comicfiles (IE a lot of images), the scanning takes a very long time. So now I have to wait like 5 minutes before I can drag and drop files into the app through itunes. (and after each file transfer, itunes will try to update the diskusage, and thus rescans... luckily you can just click another itunes options like "music" so it does not rescans anymore)

Nevertheless, it's not usable situation. That's why I only drop collections of comics into cz. For updates/daily single chapters, I use another comicapp: arcreader.

It's not as sophisticated as comiczeal, but it's the second best app as the controls are quite similar. Also it's free.

Last edited by athlonkmf; 06-09-2010 at 05:43 AM.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:08 AM   #32
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Having used HP calculators in the past, I have no desire whatsoever to go back to it . Even HP themselves, the "champions" of RPN, eventually started providing arithmetic modes of operation in their later devices.
Yes they provide a artithmetic mode, but retain RPN. Most scientists and engineers will tell you that complex problem solving can be accompished easier with RPN, you eliminate the need for parenthesis and nested parenthesis. Plugging and chugging becomes easier and almost second nature. (Sorry slightly off topic.) Of course, much of these arguments may be moot with the introduction of the spreadsheet!!
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 08:25 AM   #33
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
OK, I admit it, this App does absolutely nothing useful whatsoever, but it's great. It does exactly what the title says - it's a pocket pond, with fish, sounds of birdsong, etc. Wonderfully relaxing. Touch the screen to "splash" the water and scare away the fish! There's also a pay version which has "interactive frogs" .
This is a really enjoyable app - OK it serves no purpose at all - but acts like an interactive screensaver - I find it very relaxing/hypnotic to splash the water and play with the fish. Add the thunderstorm and it "rains" on your pond! The image clarity & sharpness are superb.

The pay version gives you a fishing pole game, 3 more ponds, and frogs.
The free version is fun enough by itself.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:58 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
This is a really enjoyable app - OK it serves no purpose at all - but acts like an interactive screensaver - I find it very relaxing/hypnotic to splash the water and play with the fish. Add the thunderstorm and it "rains" on your pond! The image clarity & sharpness are superb.
How do you do the thunderstorm? I've obviously overlooked this!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:34 AM   #35
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I like Mashable for tech news.

TUAW iPhone app for Apple news still works well on the iPad.

Love the Air Hockey game.

The Gmail web app is a terrific email client.

I like the OliveTree Bible Reader.

MLB At Bat -- is terrific for baseball fans. You can see all the stats in live games -- even choose the home or away announcer audio.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 11:06 AM   #36
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
How do you do the thunderstorm? I've obviously overlooked this!
Tap the little "i" in the lower right hand corner (hard to see) to bring up the options screen - there is a box to add the thunderstorm.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:16 AM   #37
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I just got one called WolframAlpha that is an AI search engine. I'm still playing with it, but it is intriguing. $1.99 US. Type in a question or a phrase and it brings up several bits of info. It gives geographically oriented results, too. I typed in my last name and it gave me info on a town with the same name in Minnesota. Sort of cool. I'll update when I get a better feel for what it can do.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #38
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I just got one called WolframAlpha that is an AI search engine. I'm still playing with it, but it is intriguing. $1.99 US. Type in a question or a phrase and it brings up several bits of info. It gives geographically oriented results, too. I typed in my last name and it gave me info on a town with the same name in Minnesota. Sort of cool. I'll update when I get a better feel for what it can do.
I tried the app, but prefer the Web site. It serves as a scientific calculator, too.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:25 AM   #39
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I just put in "next total solar eclipse in la crosse" and found out I only have to wait7.206 years to see it. Cool. Maybe I'll find something actually important, too.

Probably not
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:34 AM   #40
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I just put in "next total solar eclipse in la crosse" and found out I only have to wait7.206 years to see it. Cool. Maybe I'll find something actually important, too.

Probably not
Did you check out this page on the Web site? Productivity stuff included in samples:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/examples/

I love messing with it. Kinda like being a kid and randomly flipping open an encyclopedia.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:41 AM   #41
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Just to show how diverse uses for the iPad are, here is an "off beat" app that I use.....

As a Catholic (weak, but I try) I have been using Universalis for about 3 years. The iPad version is just about perfect. Near complete Liturgy of the Hours that is quick and easy to use. I always liked it on the iPod touch and iPhone, but on the iPad it is simply amazing. To folks who don't understand exactly what you are getting the $24 price may seem high... but if you know what all this would cost in paper, you know it is a steal..... I just don't have time to do the whole set of prayers throughout the day, so I just do a few.... but it means a lot, knowing that others throughout the world are joined in common reading and prayer.......

Just goes to show you the many and innovative ways to use an ipad
Universalis - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/unive...284942719?mt=8
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote