Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-23-2009, 06:45 AM   #1
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Borders Bookshop in the UK

The Borders bookshop chain in the UK has appointed advisers to try to find a buyer for the business.

Reports have said WHSmith walked away from a takeover deal on Friday, and that Borders UK could go into administration soon without a sale.

BBC link
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:49 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I must admit that I didn't even know that there were any Borders shops in the UK! I honestly can't recall ever having seen one. Perhaps they're mainly in the South? Waterstones seems to be the chain that totally dominates the market.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2009, 06:52 AM   #3
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I must admit that I didn't even know that there were any Borders shops in the UK! I honestly can't recall ever having seen one. Perhaps they're mainly in the South? Waterstones seems to be the chain that totally dominates the market.

there is a Borders in Glasgow, the only one I know of, otherwise most are in England ... and Borders describe themselves as the UK's favourite Bookstore ....
Old 11-23-2009, 06:54 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Borders describe themselves as the UK's favourite Bookstore ....
Wierd .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:55 AM   #5
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
I think they are mainly in the South (but then I rarely venture north of the Watford gap)

We have one close to my work in Kingston upon Thames with a Starbucks and all, but even before I got into ebooks and was buying pbacks, I preferred Waterstones. This particular Borders was half the size (and it wasn't small) of the Waterstones, hideously laid out, had poor disabled access and was as untidy as heck. Its location is a bit more out of the way as well. Waterstones is right in the middle of the main indoor shopping centre so it gets most of the passing traffic, whereas you have to make an effort to go to the Borders.

The other one I recall is on Oxford Street in Central London.

There was a bit of bother fairly recently about the Borders in Swindon closing, so maybe (unfortunately) it is the beginning of the end?

What is sad if the Kingston Borders shuts is that it is right next door to another empty store which used to be Woolworths .....
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2009, 07:02 AM   #6
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
Their website is closed for orders as well. Doesn't bode well.
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:12 AM   #7
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Definitely not good ......

Last edited by suecsi; 11-23-2009 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:32 AM   #8
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Canada's top three retail book sellers have amalgamated over the last few years. This has hit the independent book sellers hard since they can't compete price wise and all three stores now sell mostly the same products at the same prices.

(Note: We do have an Amazon.ca now, but I haven't bought any tree books from there.)
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:47 AM   #9
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
This is sad We've a very good Borders bookstore in Cambridge and it has hands down the best magazine selection I've seen in the region with lots of imports. Not to mention being a very good book store and a lovely place to go and grab a leisurely coffee.

There is a WHSmiths right next door but not nearly so good. Oh so sad we are losing all these lovely shops.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:39 AM   #10
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
ahhhh on this side of the pond at least it is a pretty nice bookstore.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:45 AM   #11
camino real
Enthusiast
camino real is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-300
We have one in north Manchester but I don't go to it a lot as it's a two bus journey away. I'll be sad to see it go because it will leave Waterstone's as top dog which cannot be good for the book trade.

I always love visiting Borders when I travel to Chicago.
camino real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:12 AM   #12
sony_fox
Zealot
sony_fox has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Auroa H2O
There's also one in Stockport - S. Manchester

It was quite good when it opened, better than the local small Waterstones. But it tried to diversify too far, losing the book selection and gaining music and magazines and Game. Which meant that it has only a tiny stock of anything. I've not been in recently, and have no particular reason to expect to go in the future either. No loss if it does close.

Deansgate Watertones in superb.
sony_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:14 AM   #13
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherTD View Post
Their website is closed for orders as well. Doesn't bode well.
that's a shock - it was open this morning ....
Old 11-23-2009, 10:14 AM   #14
suecsi
Rock Chick

I think that is very much where Borders in Kingston went wrong as well. Especially since there is also a dedicated Game store in the same shopping centre as the Waterstones ....
Old 11-23-2009, 10:16 AM   #15
deltop
Zealot
deltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
We have one up here in Gateshead. Only been the once, I rarely get the chance to browse in stores now, but I liked it very much. It will be a shame if they can't find a buyer.
deltop is offline   Reply With Quote