Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-18-2009, 08:37 PM   #1
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Nintendo book collection challenge

Challenge: somebody write a download script that would enable a user to (legally) download every single item associated with the Nintendo DS 100 Classic Book collection in a specific format (whether it be epub, LRF or Mobi format).
The list of e-books is here http://games.on.net/article/4607/Nin..._100_classics/
Remember: the goal here is to make it easy for the user to get the full e-book collection in one go.. legally. So I'm referring to Mobileread or PG replacements for every item (preferably not omnibuses).
First person to come up with a decent script gets my gratitude
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:48 PM   #2
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I created this quickly: its a script using wget that will get as many epub files that fulfill the list from PG (bar all the Shakespeare - add it if you want it because I don't).
I couldn't find on PG: Shirley (Charlotte Bronte), The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes (Arthur Conan Doyle), The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Victor Hugo) and Tales of Mystery and Imagination (Edgar Allen Poe).
Should make it clear: script made for linux, ymmv.

Ok, this is Rev 3 of the epub script, including all the Shakespeare (there are 3-4 versions on PG for each, all with different copyright conditions and of varying quality, so I've selected ones that are not copyrighted and are whatever was placed on PG last) and a Shakespeare-only script for those who have used the previous script.

Last edited by AprilHare; 04-19-2009 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Rev 2
Advert
Old 04-19-2009, 08:31 PM   #3
AprilHare
Wizard

And here they are modified for mobi files..

Last edited by AprilHare; 04-19-2009 at 11:35 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:01 PM   #4
AprilHare
Wizard

This all begs the question: how do you request books from Project Gutenberg?
Still missing:
Shirley (Charlotte Bronte)
The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes (Arthur Conan Doyle)
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Victor Hugo)
Tales of Mystery and Imagination (Edgar Allen Poe).
Old 04-29-2009, 01:45 AM   #5
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/6539

gutenberg does have the complete works of EA POE. which includes all storys included in tales. there is a google book version of this exact work though.

google also has the case book.

and shirley is avialable all over the place too.

if gutenberg dont have it. ADD IT! im pretty sure its an open community poject. the texts are available, copy and paste.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2009, 04:21 AM   #6
AprilHare
Wizard

1) What you linked to is an *audio book*.
2) I wanted to avoid omnibuses, and present the same books in nintendo's list.
3) Shirley is not in PG, and I am unaware of a epub or mobi version of it.
4) I may need to get my hands dirty, it's true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/6539

gutenberg does have the complete works of EA POE. which includes all storys included in tales. there is a google book version of this exact work though.

google also has the case book.

and shirley is avialable all over the place too.

if gutenberg dont have it. ADD IT! im pretty sure its an open community poject. the texts are available, copy and paste.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:46 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
This all begs the question: how do you request books from Project Gutenberg?

The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes (Arthur Conan Doyle)
One would certainly hope that PG US do not have this book, since, being published in 1927, it is not in the public domain in the USA!

(It is, of course, in the public domain pretty much everywhere else in the world.)
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:46 AM   #8
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
One would certainly hope that PG US do not have this book, since, being published in 1927, it is not in the public domain in the USA!

(It is, of course, in the public domain pretty much everywhere else in the world.)
Given that Arthur Conan Doyle died on 7 July 1930, that is interesting!
But luckily for me, I live in glorious Australia (where I assume it is in the public domain, however I am unsure of this..)
Did Nintendo pay royalties in the US for The Casebook then, or was the book substituted for something else?
I could easily add it to a script (feedbooks has it, not PG) but if it gets people into trouble, is it worth it?
BTW, I checked the copyright renewal record search and The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes doesn't show up.
Given that for works published in the United States between 1923–1963, the condition is with notice (no renewal) and under such conditions all works are public domain, will you admit you may be wrong and it is public domain now?

Last edited by AprilHare; 04-29-2009 at 08:04 AM. Reason: no notice
Old 04-29-2009, 08:26 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I may of course be wrong, but I'm 99% certain that I'm not . It's pretty well known that the entire Holmes "canon" is in the public domain in the US except for "Casebook". It is on PG Australia, since it's in the public domain in Australia, Europe, etc.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:57 AM   #10
AprilHare
Wizard

Here is Rev 4 of the script..
I've resolved The Hunchback of Notre Dame (apparently the English translation kept the French title on PG!?), and I've added The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes from Feedbooks. If you have any legal doubts, please feel free not to use/download.

This leaves:
Shirley (Charlotte Bronte)
Tales of Mystery and Imagination (Edgar Allen Poe).
Old 04-29-2009, 09:18 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

More information from:

http://www.sherlockian.net/acd/copyright.html

Quote:
In the United States, the only Sherlock Holmes remaining in copyright is The Case Book, which will enter the public domain between 2016 and 2023. A legal challenge that would have invalidated a 1998 extension to the length of copyright -- putting Sherlock Holmes into the public domain immediately -- was thrown out by the Supreme Court January 15, 2003.

The American copyrights are owned by the Estate of Dame Jean Conan Doyle. The American agent for administering them, and related rights in the Sherlock Holmes character, is Jon Lellenberg (Hazelbaker & Lellenberg, 211 East Delaware Place suite 605, Chicago, Illinois 60611), JonLellenberg@aol.com.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:29 AM   #12
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

interesting harry. it still wasnt hard to find it. google had the complete book already, as well has several websites.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:37 AM   #13
AprilHare
Wizard

Interesting. I guess my script isn't for Americans then
Still begs the question: did Nintendo/Harper Collins pay royalties?
Old 04-29-2009, 09:48 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Interesting. I guess my script isn't for Americans then
Still begs the question: did Nintendo/Harper Collins pay royalties?
If it's sold in the US, one would imagine that they must do!
Old 04-29-2009, 11:37 AM   #15
Andybaby
Wizard

its sold in Europe as far as i know from the article... or somewhere. i just did a google search and it is amazon.co.uk

though skimming the article i didnt see any europe only things but i filed it away in my brain as that so i must have caught something the first time i looked at this thread