Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 01:50 PM   #1
nataltom
nataltom began at the beginning.

Device: none
Calibre 2.0 Crashing at start up

Hello

Sorry for my english, I'm french.

I installed the new version of caliber. I have a problem with cons. Every time I start the program, there is an error message. (no problem with the old version)
I've uninstalled everything, cleaned the directory and did a clean install is the same every time.

The program has an error with the qt5core.dll

I'm still using windows xp

If you have an idea, I'm interested.

thank you

Old 08-25-2014, 02:03 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The download page for calibre says:
Quote:
calibre 2.x uses Qt 5 which is known to be incompatible with some Windows XP machines. If you are using Windows XP and calibre crashes soon after startup, use calibre 1.48, which works with all Windows XP machines, from here. Simply un-install calibre 2.x and install 1.48, doing so will not affect your books/settings.
In fact, the problems are so severe that starting with the release coming on Friday 29/8, calibre 2.x will refuse to install on XP. Your only choices are to stay on 1.48 or to upgrade Windows.

Pour être clair -- calibre 2.x ne fonctionne pas sur XP. À partir de vendredi 29/8, calibre va refuser de s’installer sur XP. Vos choix sont 1) rester sur 1.48, ou 2) installer windows vista, 7, ou 8.
Advert
Old 08-25-2014, 02:29 PM   #3
nataltom

Hello

Thank you for your reply.

I made an installation on another machine also installed xp and there does it work correctly. The version will stop working the same 29/8 on computers that work properly?

Is there still a way to make the program run under XP?
Old 08-25-2014, 03:11 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataltom View Post
Hello

Thank you for your reply.

I made an installation on another machine also installed xp and there does it work correctly. The version will stop working the same 29/8 on computers that work properly?

Is there still a way to make the program run under XP?
Starting with the next release, calibre 2.x will refuse to install or run on any computer running Windows XP. That might change in the future if Kovid finds what the problems are, but I don't think that there is much chance of this happening.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:44 PM   #5
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Starting with the next release, calibre 2.x will refuse to install or run on any computer running Windows XP. That might change in the future if Kovid finds what the problems are, but I don't think that there is much chance of this happening.
And even if he does find what the problems are, he might not be able to fix them. He might not even *want* to fix them, even if he can; Microsoft finally stopped supporting XP, which is over 13 years old now, so it is expected that software developers will also; they already have, or will in the very near future.

It is not a good idea to stay on Windows XP, except if you have a very good reason. Think about it; Windows 7 is 5 years old already, Windows 8 is 2 years old, and Windows 9 is coming in March/May next year... XP is getting *really* long in the tooth now.

Last edited by Katsunami; 08-25-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Advert
Old 08-25-2014, 03:52 PM   #6
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
I'm running Windows 7, and I have the same problem. I do have a very old Pentium IV computer, though.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:53 PM   #7
nataltom

Microsoft actually decided to stop windows xp and that's a shame because it was a very good OS.

I will stay on the old version still hoping that the program developer to find a solution for XP is still widely used.

Thank you for your answers.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:14 PM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
I'm running Windows 7, and I have the same problem. I do have a very old Pentium IV computer, though.
Qt5, included in calibre 2.x, requires the SSE2 instruction set, introduced by Intel in 2001 and AMD in 2003. If your processor does not support SSE2 then you must stay with calibre 1.48.

According to this web page http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentr...or-supports-it there is a program you can run to check if your processor supports SSE2.

Note that if you are running Win64 then you might need the SSE2 extended instruction set, introduced by AMD in 2003 and Intel in 2004.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:15 PM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataltom View Post
Microsoft actually decided to stop windows xp and that's a shame because it was a very good OS.

I will stay on the old version still hoping that the program developer to find a solution for XP is still widely used.
My guess is that you will wait for a long time ...
Old 08-25-2014, 04:41 PM   #10
nataltom

Quote:
Qt5, included in calibre 2.x, requires the SSE2 instruction set, introduced by Intel in 2001 and AMD in 2003. If your processor does not support SSE2 then you must stay with calibre 1.48.

According to this web page http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentr...or-supports-it there is a program you can run to check if your processor supports SSE2.

Note that if you are running Win64 then you might need the SSE2 extended instruction set, introduced by AMD in 2003 and Intel in 2004.
At first I just did the test, my processor supports SSE2
Old 08-26-2014, 05:25 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
My guess is that you will wait for a long time ...
That would be forever.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:46 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That would be forever.
Not necessarily see ==>> GoodSync Version News- Windows

Quote:
Version 9.9.4 Aug 15, 2014
* Make GoodSync work on old Athlon and AMD processor do not have SSE2 instructions.
Of course, I have no idea what they actually did, nor if it actually works

I noticed the SSE2 note when I downloaded latest GoodSynch Tuesday evening.

BR
Old 08-26-2014, 05:54 PM   #13
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Not necessarily see ==>> GoodSync Version News- Windows
Possibly they have compiled the program in such a way that it uses SSE2 if it is available, and doesn't use it if it's not. Maybe this is possible with QT5 as well, but to be honest, I think it's not worth the trouble.

Why support a 13 year old operating system running on hardware that is even older than that (as SSE2 was introduced in 2001)? I'm not one for upgrading ASAP; the computer I'm typing this on is 6 years old (but has a quad-core, SSD, 8GB RAM, and Windows 7 x64). That's somewhat old, but 13 years is ancient history in computing.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:16 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There are enterprises that use Windows Server 2003, and many will continue to use it after it reaches its EOL next year. I know of a significant multinational corporation that still has some LAN Manager servers dotted around the planet

And IIRC the POS version of XP EOL is 2019.

BR
Old 08-26-2014, 08:00 PM   #15
kapaka
kapaka began at the beginning.

Device: BQ
I have calibre in a machine that still uses server2003
Guess I am stuck with 1.48. But it's not the only app I have stopped upgrading, so it's OK
Thanks for calibre
Closed Thread