Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
RBraverman
Enthusiast
RBraverman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Suddenly Calibre reading ENTIRE Tablet Drive

All has been well for a long time, until today. When I loaded Calibre and attached my ASUS Tablet to add a book, the program first identified the device and the proceeding to try and list what was on it (book-wise). 20 minutes later (32 gig's gonna take a while) I realized that it was reading the WHOLE drive, not just the Kindle Folder.

FWIW my old Kindle 3G was read quickly and correctly.

Any ideas out there?
RBraverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:36 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You must let it run to completion once. Then, before disconnecting the device, right-click on the device icon and choose "configure". Choose the folders you want calibre to scan.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
RBraverman
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
You must let it run to completion once. Then, before disconnecting the device, right-click on the device icon and choose "configure". Choose the folders you want calibre to scan.
All of a sudden?
Old 10-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
IIRC, calibre's MTP support has done that since it was added last year. The ability to restrict which folders are scanned is newer.

Your kindle 3G is not an MTP device.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
RBraverman
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
IIRC, calibre's MTP support has done that since it was added last year. The ability to restrict which folders are scanned is newer.

Your kindle 3G is not an MTP device.
Last week I added a few books to this device and didn't have to go through this. What happened in the meantime - nothing has changed.

Anyway, it doesn't seem to work. I removed the Ext. Card and it took a few minutes to read the internal card, I set the folder to /kindle/ which is where the books are kept.

It wanted to restart, so I did and before it did, I reinserted the Ext card back in. It is now reading THAT whole drive. It doesn't seem to have restricted it to the /kindle/ folder on the internal card. Looks like it'll take another hour or so. I've another TF300, and 2 Phones - do I have to go through this everytime?
Advert
Old 10-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBraverman View Post
Last week I added a few books to this device and didn't have to go through this. What happened in the meantime - nothing has changed.
Since today is Tuesday and this anomaly isn't being reported by the masses you tell us what's changed?

Quote:
Anyway, it doesn't seem to work. I removed the Ext. Card and it took a few minutes to read the internal card, I set the folder to /kindle/ which is where the books are kept.

It wanted to restart, so I did and before it did, I reinserted the Ext card back in.
What wanted to restart?

Quote:
It is now reading THAT whole drive. It doesn't seem to have restricted it to the /kindle/ folder on the internal card.
Reboot your device and restart calibre. Go through the whole process one more time and tell us what happens.

Quote:
I've another TF300, and 2 Phones - do I have to go through this everytime?
I believe for everyone else the answer is no. But since you are the one experiencing issues you'll have to tell us.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
RBraverman
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Since today is Tuesday and this anomaly isn't being reported by the masses you tell us what's changed?

I can see this and me are beginning to annoy you, so I'll answer these but do not expect a reply, just in case others run into this.

What wanted to restart?

Calibre.

Reboot your device and restart calibre. Go through the whole process one more time and tell us what happens.

It starts re-reading the whole drive, gets about 10% into it, and crashes.

I believe for everyone else the answer is no. But since you are the one experiencing issues you'll have to tell us.
Nothing, OH, I got a new pair of shorts.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
At_Libitum
Addict
At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KyBook
sounds like the change in storage (i.e. re-inserting the external card) changes a flag to trigger the rescan.
At_Libitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #9
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by At_Libitum View Post
sounds like the change in storage (i.e. re-inserting the external card) changes a flag to trigger the rescan.
^This

It probably sees the card as another storage device.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:34 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Indeed, inserting a card will cause it to be scanned once, after which you can tell calibre to ignore whatever you like on the card.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:20 PM   #11
RBraverman
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by At_Libitum View Post
Thank you for the reply; My question is that in the 2-3 years that I've been using this it's NEVER done this.

The card didn't change, but it's reading the entire 'internal' card, which it has never done on anything I've thrown at it. What puzzles me is that only last week on the same tablet, I ul'd a book to it and it acted normally.

Now that everything is working again, and having to run one particular tablet through this 3 times before it "took" and wrote to the file, I still wouldlike to know what has changed or what file got corrupted.

Anyway, doesn't this info get written to the drive? Then read back?