Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #16
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkrider View Post
I have an iPad 2 and read on it all the time except in strong sunlight. I find that my eInk reader is getting less and less use. I don't have a problem reading on a backlit screen BUT I do read in night time mode (white letters black background) as I find this works best for me with no eye strain.
I agree. I read mainly at night and my preferred ereader now is my Galaxy Tab 2 (7" tablet) using Moon+ Reader Pro in night mode. I much prefer it to my KT with lighted cover.

No eye strain whatsoever.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #17
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Because I am on my computer all day, I would like something different for my eyes to focus on during my leisure reading time. But I do think part of this is generational: the kids who are growing up with ipads right now are going to find it "normal" to read that way, so they won't notice fatigue or attribute it to the ipad.

Considering the Lifehacker article was written last week, it would have been nice if they discussed front-lit e-ink readers (aka the Nook Glow) and whether those are easier or harder on your eyes. Instead they rehashed the same old same old.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2012, 10:59 AM   #18
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
My eyes and head hurt after looking at an LCD screen for more than an hour or two (whether iPad, computer monitor, phone, whatever). I can read on my eInk Nook all day though with no problems.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #19
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
I can't agree with NY times because I can't read on my Nexus Tablet more than 20 minutes.
I wonder how people like you work nowadays or read and post in web forums like this one.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #20
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
"The New York Times explains:

Today's screens are definitely less tiring to look at than older displays, which refreshed the image much less frequently, causing a flicker. Carl Taussig, director of Hewlett-Packard‘s Information Surfaces Lab, said the 120 Hz refresh rate typical of modern screens is much quicker than our eyes can even see."
Tablets don't refresh at 120Hz, but at 60Hz (or thereabouts, some are in the 50sHz). Some TVs, on the other hand, refresh at 120Hz or even 240Hz, though there is some fudging with the numbers as well.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #21
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Tablets don't refresh at 120Hz, but at 60Hz (or thereabouts, some are in the 50sHz). Some TVs, on the other hand, refresh at 120Hz or even 240Hz, though there is some fudging with the numbers as well.
This is interesting to me, but there's something I've always wondered at. I can read indefinitely on my K3. I sit at my computer for hours, but I'm constantly shifting from web site to web site, and refreshing the view to keep up with ongoing conversations. but I can only watch TV for an hour at a time or so, and it makes my eyes very tired. Movies in a theater are difficult for me, and lead to a headache. Is this a refresh issue? or just me being (as I so usually am) idiosyncratic?
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #22
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Neither LCD nor eink bothers my eyes. I prefer to read on my Kindles as they are not nearly as heavy as my iPad, and the battery life is so much better. I like to save the battery on my iPad for watching Netflix, which drains it pretty quickly.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #23
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
For me, the biggest drawback to LCD is the short battery life compared to eInk. If tablets refreshed even faster than 60Hz their battery life would be even shorter due to GPU and CPU load. I still do a lot of reading on my Nook though, because I can do so much more with it. I am still keeping a look out for a low power fast refresh color display like Mirasol in a reasonably priced e-reader.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:31 PM   #24
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I read two books on my tablet (long plane trip) and it was fine. I actually breathed a huge sigh of relief when I went back to my older ereader (non pearl). I have two pearl ereaders now which are even better.

I will definitely look at the iPad 3 because of the display, but doubt I will get one.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #25
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Refresh rate is kind of meaningless when talking about LCD. In a CRT, where the term originated, a beam of electrons scanned the screen horizontally from top to bottom, hitting phosphors which emmitted light. After the beam left a particular pixel, the phosphor was no longer excited () and the light decayed. The decay meant the display had to be refreshed, even if the picture shown was static, and this caused flicker. In an LCD, there is no phosphor to decay after an electron beam has hit it, therefore there is no reason to constantly refresh the screen. If an LCD pixel is turned on, it's state is maintained (either actively with a transistor or passively with a capacitor) until the data changes. No decay = no flicker (from the panel itself. Backlighting is another issue).

The refresh rate given for LCD TV is really a function of the controller speed and (more importantly) LCD response time. Yes, on televisons the screen is redrawn at the rated refresh rate, but that's because until recently TVs were fed a rather imprecise analog signal (the old joke was NTSC stood for: Never Twice the Same Colour ), not because they actually needed refreshing. Computer monitors were given analog signals as well (VGA), and did the same.

Backlighting, however, can show a noticable flicker if it's the electro-fluorescent type. LEDs can also show a flicker if the brightness is regulated by pulse width rather than by voltage level.

Which is better for your eyes?
Ya got me, that's totally up to whichever you find more comfortable.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #26
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
E ink posted the video What Would You Rather Read On? on their facebook page:

Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:32 PM   #27
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Interesting video, but they appeared to have the iPad's brightness level artificially low for outdoor use.

That said, I still prefer eInk.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:08 PM   #28
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
If you have trouble reading on a LCD tablet or monitor try turning down your brightness. They are always too bright for me. On the monitor you can adjust the contrast as well. I keep my monitor turn down almost half way.

On a Android Tablet you can get an app called Screen Dim made by a member here that will allow you to adjust both. I have no problems using LCD as long as I turn down the brightness down to a comfortable level.

I could never use my Kindle Fire without the Screen Dim app in the dark. Sure 2% is find in a lighted area but in the dark, no way. Of course everyone's eyes are different but this is what works for me.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #29
LiveMocha
Banned
LiveMocha began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 4S, Jetbook
I usually read comments with a lot of interest, but today I want to put my five cents. I am passionate The New iPad 3 (had iPad 2, donated it to wife) user. I am doing somewhere around 180 (different) Keynote presentation per year (Job thing), and I watch 180 movies per year. And I cannot imagine myself leaving home without iPad. The only thing I cannot to use it for; is reading. It is ok to read web site or e-mail but if i need to read bunch of docs or book, I use Jetbook e-reader. This is rather strange but If I watch movies or preparing KNp, my eyes feel OK, if I start reading; within 25 min, I am getting “rabbit eye”.
LiveMocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #30
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
There one thing that seam to be forgetten there. Screen size. On a larger screen , your eyes have to do more effort to do left - right again and again, as well as focusing.

But lcd can't beat e-ink in the sun. And the screen backgound not being pure white is more confortable.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote