Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-28-2012, 09:34 AM   #14986
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Just got/started this The Best On Line Science Writing 2012:

http://www.amazon.com/Science-Writin...mm_kin_title_0

I love that the first entry is a POEM!

and ordered this The Scientists:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/140...ls_o00_s00_i00
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:09 PM   #14987
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Now for a couple short stories to finish out the year and give myself a clean start for next year. I will start with "Shear Terror" by David Adams and then maybe "Fluke: Langara's Prize" by Cyril Kowaliski.
"Shear Terror" was good for a chuckle on the way to work yesterday. I needed something to lift my spirits about having to work this week.

"Fluke: Langara's Prize" was a very good first book from Cyril, I wanted more information at the end, but that isn't really a bad thing. He is normally a writer for a tech review site, so it was a huge shift in writing style for him and he did it very well.

I am not sure what to read for the last few days of the year. I don't really want to start something long but the next few books on my TBR list are rather lengthy. I might try to find a few more short stories to keep myself busy.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #14988
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
... I might try to find a few more short stories to keep myself busy.
I vote for that! I always vote for that!

http://www.onlineclasses.org/2011/01...s-of-all-time/
Old 12-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #14989
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I vote for that! I always vote for that!

http://www.onlineclasses.org/2011/01...s-of-all-time/
Thank you!
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #14990
kennyc

Quote:
Thank you!
I just noticed "The Second Bakery Attack" by Haruki Murakami on there. It's fun, but I don't think it's available on-line or that sort of thing.

Enjoy!
Advert
Old 12-28-2012, 02:36 PM   #14991
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I'm rereading "The Wind-up Bird Chronicle". A good read.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #14992
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I've started the second of Robert Ludlum's 'Bourne' novels, "The Bourne Supremacy." So far, it's every bit as good as all the other Ludlum books, and certainly as fast-paced as the first Bourne novel. I'm having difficulty putting it down!

This is one of the few series books that were turned into movies, and the movies were just about as good as the books!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #14993
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I started re-reading "Dune" - it still stands up well - and it's frightening how much detail I have retained about the plot - and what key points I have forgotten/never noticed.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #14994
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
.... Shhhhhhh.........

Stitchawl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BookSniffer.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	98346  
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #14995
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I've started the second of Robert Ludlum's 'Bourne' novels, "The Bourne Supremacy." So far, it's every bit as good as all the other Ludlum books, and certainly as fast-paced as the first Bourne novel. I'm having difficulty putting it down!

This is one of the few series books that were turned into movies, and the movies were just about as good as the books!

Stitchawl
My favorite Ludlum book is Road to Gandolfo. A funny story about kidnapping the Pope.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:18 AM   #14996
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
A high-quality SF short story.

Next up: Sten by Allan Cole. Bought in April 2009.
Which was great fun in a mil-sf sort of way.

Then I started on The Collective by Kerry Downing which I bought back in 2005. I think I must have read it back then, although I have no memory of the ending. But I'm going to abandon it this time, as the characters are just not interesting or believable.

Next up: Jade Darcy and the Affair of Honor by Stephen Goldin and Mary Mason. This is a young-adult SF I think. Let's see if I like it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #14997
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post

Stitchawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
My favorite Ludlum book is Road to Gandolfo. A funny story about kidnapping the Pope.
Apache
I haven't read any of his for a loooong long time, but I did love the Bourne books (and still read the Van Lustbader follow-ons), but I also remember being very taken with Solo, about a hit-man, I believe.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:57 AM   #14998
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Rereading C. J. Cherryh's Foreigner. This is the first book in a series I have enjoyed very much over the years. Sadly, there are several books in the series that are not available as eBooks. They are available as Audible books, however, so I may well use those to bridge up to the ones that are available as eBooks. If my interest holds, which I expect it to.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #14999
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
I want to watch the film and so I thought I'd start reading The Hobbit.
Wow! A captivating adventure. A fascinating story. A true masterpiece. Bilbo Baggins has become my favorite fictional character! Read it if you have not already done so! I hope the movie does the book justice and doesn't disappoint.

Next: The Woman in Black by Susan Hill
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:25 PM   #15000
Turnstone
Zealot
Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
Wow! A captivating adventure. A fascinating story. A true masterpiece. Bilbo Baggins has become my favorite fictional character! Read it if you have not already done so! I hope the movie does the book justice and doesn't disappoint.
The movie is quite good. Some scenes are added, and some details changed (like the dwarfs arriving the same evening Gandalf left the sign on the door, and not the next day at teatime). But all in all I enjoyed it!
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote