Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-08-2009, 09:59 PM   #1
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Post US-based ebook reader owners want more features

US-based ebook reader owners want more features, a survey among 1,500 respondents by research firm In-Stat has found. Longer battery life and internet connectivity are the top two desired features among respondents who don’t currently own an e-book but plan to buy one in the next year. In-Stat further found that Amazon is the leading brand of ebook reader owned in the US. Some 45.5 percent of ebook reader owners spends between USD 9 and 20 per month on content, and 11 percent of total survey respondents said they planned to purchase an ebook reader over the next 12 months.
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:02 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Makes me think a lot of the responders who don't have one don't know much about them, at least in terms of battery life. Interesting number for the amount spent per month. That's a lot of reocurring revenue.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:15 PM   #3
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Makes me think a lot of the responders who don't have one don't know much about them, at least in terms of battery life. Interesting number for the amount spent per month. That's a lot of reocurring revenue.
Could be if some of the respondents were thinking about netbooks or other backlit display setups for reading, where battery life could use some improvement. I would toss my prs-505 in a heartbeat if my old 7" eee pc had 3-4x its current battery life.

But I guess a feature-oriented mindset is what one should expect from the mass market. I hope my next reader has a built-in air conditioner and perhaps an alarm clock.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:22 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Could be if some of the respondents were thinking about netbooks or other backlit display setups for reading, where battery life could use some improvement. I would toss my prs-505 in a heartbeat if my old 7" eee pc had 3-4x its current battery life.

But I guess a feature-oriented mindset is what one should expect from the mass market. I hope my next reader has a built-in air conditioner and perhaps an alarm clock.
I would take my 505 over my netbook for reading any day, same goes for my iPhone. The backlight kills my eyes.

I agree though, on your second comment. I think ebook makers should just focus on getting that core market of big readers and make their moolah from selling ebooks. I really don't want my Reader to do a million things, I have the above gadgets for that. Heh, I don't even want internet access on it.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:42 PM   #5
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I guess I'm surprised.

I want fewer features and a lower price.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:59 PM   #6
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I guess I'm surprised.

I don't know if I care much about features...it's when features are used to distract from quality that I get irritated, and ebook readers still are such poor quality that it's almost laughable that we early adopters have taken to them so well.

Really for the quality of the technology we're getting, we should really be paying $20-30 for the basic ones. Hardly need to strip them down more, they're already as rubbish as we can get this side of a 1980s Casio solar nonscientific calculator. Worse in some ways.

I'm happy to pay a hundred or two or even three if the technology warrants it somehow. However, I somewhat fear that things like the poor screen quality will remain stagnant while manufacturers decide to add 2fps digicams to the bezel.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:01 PM   #7
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
I guess I'm surprised.

Well, I'm not sure I want *fewer* features but I don't want feature creep. Give me one-trick pony that does its trick really well any day!
Old 09-09-2009, 04:05 AM   #8
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What is this "ebook reader" you speak of? Do you mean liseuse?
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:31 AM   #9
grimo1re
Geekette

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
What is this "ebook reader" you speak of? Do you mean liseuse?
This actually made me LOL.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:41 AM   #10
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
No, not a desk...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:44 AM   #11
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
features

I don't particularly need a ereader with a lot of features.

It seems to me its like the people who buy high end computers and only surf the web and don't actually need or use all the features they got. But they are thinking that they got something great. My aunt was all excited when she got her computer because it had all this "free sofware" that was worth an extra $500 and she got it for free! She surfs the web and downloads pictures from her digital camera. Does she use any of that extra software she got? Nope.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:06 AM   #12
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Well, while they certainly won't provide the same epic (direct and indirect) power savings as eInk, both 3Qi screens and Pine Trail (the next gen atom+chipset) promise to bring improvements in the area of battery life. Of course the former more so sans backlight.

Though sadly netbooks under 10" are mostly extinct.

Last edited by Dylrob; 09-09-2009 at 06:08 AM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:31 AM   #13
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Amazon addressed (successfully IMHO) the market of readers who just wanted a reader - that was only a reader. Free access to Wikipedia was an incentive for the many readers who constantly look up references, allusions, etc. But the key point of the Kindle was that you didn't have to know anything about computers, or even own one, to successfully use a Kindle. Especially since you now had one-click buying of books via Whispernet. Obviously, for many people, these features alone were worth enough to them to offset the pricing for a reader that was just a reader. All you need to read is the Kindle - no PC required. Also, IMHO from reading discussion boards, blogs, etc. - these Kindle adopters are older folk - who just want to read - a lot, not learn to use a PC - even to just drag books over via USB.

There's another population who cry "That much JUST for a reader!" Who want internet access, synching with PCs/phones/PDAs, etc, email, messaging, etc - all on one gadget - with ebooks. "More features before I pay that much!"
And probably, to increase the market of ebook adopters, more features will be added, leading to a situation now seen in PCs (as noted in earlier posts) - people buying new gadgets with ALL the bells and whistles and using only the reader function.

So I'm a little cautious in looking at the results of these surveys - it really depends on the pool of respondents and their tech habits.

Who knows, this consumer trend might lead to budget lines of readers that only read and more upscale lines of all-in-one gadgets. The growing pool of aging Baby Boomers that 1) love to read, and 2) have a disposable income, and 3) aging eyes - may really influence ebook development, growth, & survival.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:44 AM   #14
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
Quote:
I guess I'm surprised.
That sounds like a great idea. I have a computer, I have a smartphone, my ereader needs to do just one thing and that is display books.
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:38 AM   #15
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
The only feature I would want in addition on my reader, is an encyclopedia.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote