Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Lawrence Watt-Evans

First off, a recommendation. If you like fantasy, especially light fantasy, I can highly recommend Lawrence Watt-Evans' Ethshar fantasy series, which starts with "The Misenchancted Sword".

And secondly, if you like Science Fantasy, you might want to support his kickstarter project for his manuscript "Vika's Avenger", to get it turned into a professionally edited book with commissioned cover art. $5 is enough to get a copy of the ebook when it's done, which is a pretty good deal.

I've signed up.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
First off, a recommendation. If you like fantasy, especially light fantasy, I can highly recommend Lawrence Watt-Evans' Ethshar fantasy series, which starts with "The Misenchancted Sword".
I second that. The series that starts with "The Misenchanted Sword" is on my list of top 20 fantasy series/books I've enjoyed. Always rated 5/5...

I'll check out the Kickstarter, thanks.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Back in the day when there was this ebook site called Fictionwise, I managed to pick up a number of the Ethshar series. I've only read the first three but really enjoyed them.

I'll have to check out the kickstarter also.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I ran across him back in the 80's and really enjoyed his books. His books are pretty varied in tone and style.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:04 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
He's been around for a long time.

I thought he was dead, but apparently someone is using his name - perhaps him.

Check out his 4-book series, "The Lords of Dus." I read these when they first came out. The first one was published in 1980 by Ballantine Fantasy.

Here are two photos:

1) Young stud
2) Old coot

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	evansyoung.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	107366   Click image for larger version

Name:	evansoldcoot.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	107367  
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #6
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I like the premise and looks like it might be a fun Kickstarter to follow. I've backed it for the ebook.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Lords of Dus are favorites of mine. They are even available as e-books now.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:14 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Been available as ebooks for a long time. I bought them from FW years ago.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:07 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
You can't beat those wonderful old Ballantine Fantasy covers, in my opinion.

The new covers are pretty much vanilla looking.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dus1.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	929.3 KB
ID:	107391   Click image for larger version

Name:	dus2.png
Views:	162
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	107392   Click image for larger version

Name:	dus3.png
Views:	158
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	107393   Click image for larger version

Name:	dus4.png
Views:	168
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	107394  
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:11 AM   #10
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Cheers for the photos...wow read that series back in the 80's with those covers...good series..back in the day..

hidari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

Don
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #11
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Cheers for the photos...wow read that series back in the 80's with those covers...good series..back in the day..

hidari.
Me too.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:40 PM   #12
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

Don
Amen to that. I've still got the original paperbacks.