Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #1
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
The problems with a 4 inch iPhone

http://www.cultofmac.com/161390/the-...4-inch-iphone/

I still wouldn't mind a bigger home though.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
When you factor in the fact that the human hand was not made to hold a 4-inch phone
Fancy that. I never knew all humans had hands that were the same size.

This 'you can't reach the whole screen with your thumb' argument gets used too often. I've got longer fingers, so the larger screen on my Galaxy S is fine for me to use one-handed. But most of the time I don't need to. I've got both hands free, and it's always going to be easier to hold it in one and tap and swipe with the other, regardless of the size of the phone.

And that bit about needing to make phones larger than 4" widescreen and therefore difficult to write apps for is just bizarre. Sure, some things like on screen keyboards take up a larger percentage of the vertical space in landscape, but not that much more. And there are corresponding advantages, like, you know, more width for web pages and other content.

If enough iOS users make it clear that they'd like a larger screen, then I'm sure Apple will find a way to release a larger phone.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
I have an Android phone, and what would make me switch to an iPhone is widget support. Although a larger screen would be nice, no widgets no iPhone.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post

This 'you can't reach the whole screen with your thumb' argument gets used too often.
My thoughts exactly; this presumption that everybody has hands of the same size is getting old and is obviously baseless.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

This 'you can't reach the whole screen with your thumb' argument gets used too often. I've got longer fingers, so the larger screen on my Galaxy S is fine for me to use one-handed. But most of the time I don't need to. I've got both hands free, and it's always going to be easier to hold it in one and tap and swipe with the other, regardless of the size of the phone.

And that bit about needing to make phones larger than 4" widescreen and therefore difficult to write apps for is just bizarre. Sure, some things like on screen keyboards take up a larger percentage of the vertical space in landscape, but not that much more. And there are corresponding advantages, like, you know, more width for web pages and other content.

If enough iOS users make it clear that they'd like a larger screen, then I'm sure Apple will find a way to release a larger phone.

Graham
Agreed. I don't know why the media keeps saying the thing about the hand size.

Apple though doesn't necessarily care what the users think. They'll make what they want. Regardless.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
My thoughts exactly; this presumption that everybody has hands of the same size is getting old and is obviously baseless.
What, how am I ever going to measure a horse?
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #7
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
I have an Android phone, and what would make me switch to an iPhone is widget support. Although a larger screen would be nice, no widgets no iPhone.
For example?
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #8
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
i would love widgets also.. the way Android handles them. For iPad and iPhone, please!
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #9
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
For example?
Example of widgets? There are many, but the ones I personally find more useful are weather widgets (you get forecasts on the home screen at a glance), email widgets (you can skimp your email, and open the client if you want to read the full email), calendar widgets (for your next appointment) and toggle widgets, like WiFi and GPS toggle. Music widgets are also nice, but not so necessary as most players integrate with the lock screen nowadays.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:42 PM   #10
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
For example?
Simple Calendar Widget and Extended Controls are 2 that I couldn't be without. If the iPhone supported widgets, I'd switch when my contract is up.

Last edited by Talldog; 04-18-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:10 PM   #11
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:

Graham
I have quite small hands and I don't have any problems with my Galaxy Nexus. Ithink they are going for the market that uses a phone as a small computer, not as a dedicated phone. Phone calls only make about 5% of my mobile use!
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:45 AM   #12
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Example of widgets? There are many, but the ones I personally find more useful are weather widgets (you get forecasts on the home screen at a glance), email widgets (you can skimp your email, and open the client if you want to read the full email), calendar widgets (for your next appointment) and toggle widgets, like WiFi and GPS toggle. Music widgets are also nice, but not so necessary as most players integrate with the lock screen nowadays.
Oh. Is that all. I dont find it a hassle to open the app to get the info I want. I have a weather widget (specifically, Fancy Widgets) on my Android but dont bother with others. I'm happy enough with what I have.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:28 AM   #13
monkeyluis
Banned

I don't understand the appeal of the weather widget. All I have to do is swipe down to get the temperature. I also have an app right on the home screen to click once & get to the weather. Widgets I don't really care too much about. That stuff just sucks up battery power. What I would like is a quick way to turn on/off Bluetooth & wifi. Though honestly. It's not a deal killer because I need to do that very rarely. I think why certain phone users want it so bad is because of battery issues. Again, they have all of that crap running, that doesn't need to be, & it just sucks up the power.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #14
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
I don't understand the appeal of the weather widget. All I have to do is swipe down to get the temperature. I also have an app right on the home screen to click once & get to the weather. Widgets I don't really care too much about. That stuff just sucks up battery power. What I would like is a quick way to turn on/off Bluetooth & wifi. Though honestly. It's not a deal killer because I need to do that very rarely. I think why certain phone users want it so bad is because of battery issues. Again, they have all of that crap running, that doesn't need to be, & it just sucks up the power.
Widgets don't suck battery; they stay dormant most of the time (for instance, for the weather you can set a refresh time, like 1 hour); they are not running wild in the background as you seem to suggest. The beauty of widgets is that you don't have to click anything, the info is there for you to see - you glance at your phone, you know if you have any emails, and what the subject of the emails is; you know the forecast, you know the time in a different location of the world, and so on. But if you don't need them and are happy with what you have, then that's cool, but don't knock it if you haven't tried it.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:57 PM   #15
monkeyluis
Banned

I wish I could still ignore you. I went & ignored user, but if I or anyone else quotes you then I can still see what you post. It's quite annoying.

Btw, I mentioned I wouldn't mind a couple of widgets. I didn't knock. Sheesh.

Someone fix this ignore thing. Seriously, it's annoying. Almost as annoying as the poster.