Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-13-2008, 10:35 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Readius Hands-on Video

Our good friends over at JKOnTheRun know someone who is attending the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. Their podcasting-partner-in-crime, Matt Miller took the time to post a video on Youtube.

It's not the best quality camera work, but it's good enough.

Thanks, guys.
http://jkontherun.blogs.com/jkonther...on-with-r.html
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:07 PM   #2
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can't really see the point to have it as a mobilephone... perhaps to get mobilephone resellers to sell it...
I think it don't look promising with the edge where it bends... but all ebook is good ebook right
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2008, 01:39 PM   #3
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTH View Post
I can't really see the point to have it as a mobilephone... perhaps to get mobilephone resellers to sell it...
I think it don't look promising with the edge where it bends... but all ebook is good ebook right
Yeah that's the plan. Instead of buying an expensive device, you'll pay a monthly subscription.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:52 PM   #4
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Is anyone else impressed with how fast the screen refreshes? Maybe it's because I haven't seen a Vizplex screen in person, but that seems really quick.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:38 PM   #5
anotherchance
Zealot
anotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
Is anyone else impressed with how fast the screen refreshes? Maybe it's because I haven't seen a Vizplex screen in person, but that seems really quick.
Well, it is a smaller screen than the Reader, Kindle or Cybook, so I guess there's less to refresh.
anotherchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2008, 02:41 PM   #6
marcel
marcel began at the beginning.

Device: mobipocket
another hads-on video

You also might check out this dutch episode about electronic books, featuring the Iliad and the Readius:

http://www.bright.tv/series/de-ban-v...g-aflevering-3

The fun starts at 12 min 45 for the Iliad and 16 min 10 for the Readius. Bonus: a tour of the production facilities for the Readius.

Last edited by marcel; 02-13-2008 at 02:56 PM. Reason: spelling error
marcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:51 PM   #7
msundman
Zealot
msundman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.msundman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.msundman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: FBReader on Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
Huh? It takes more than 2000 ms after the key press before it shows the next screen. That's completely unacceptable IMO. It feels like after pressing the key you have time to go and boil an egg before the next screen is displayed. It's like some kHz range computer from the 1960s. Yet I bet they have a 100+ MHz CPU and a dedicated display controller with DMA. I just don't understand how they manage to make it so incredibly slow.

And why oh why don't they include a small light in those devices with non-illuminating displays? People obviously want that, and it'd be really easy and cheap to add it. Just a small flip-up thingy. And it'd be so immensely useful in many situations. Seems like a no-brainer.
msundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:50 PM   #8
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
@msudnman

You have to see the difference between the actual screen refresh and the time it takes to load the stuff it's supposed to display. The actual refresh here is quite fast, that is the screen and controller in caction. The information being displayed might indeed make it a bit slow, but we don't know anything about the OS, the files that are loaded, the CPU, RAM, Flash...and it might even be that the information being displayed is transferred directly from the web or something. I would not judge the device by that...

The scroll-thingy seems pretty neat, overall I must say that the control scheme does not really impress me. It seems like the interface severely limits the usefulness of the device since 4 keys at the side hardly give you a lot of input choices for entering search strings, web addresses and stuff. Also, the unfolded screen seems pretty wobbly...maybe there is a way to stiffen it, but the way it looks in the vid it is a highly unstable affair.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:51 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherchance View Post
Well, it is a smaller screen than the Reader, Kindle or Cybook, so I guess there's less to refresh.
It is not the size of the screen but the total number of pixels that established the refresh time. If e-INK is set to 1 bit more (just black and white) the refresh is quite fast. It is grayscale that takes all the time.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:24 AM   #10
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by msundman View Post
Huh? It takes more than 2000 ms after the key press before it shows the next screen. That's completely unacceptable IMO. It feels like after pressing the key you have time to go and boil an egg before the next screen is displayed. It's like some kHz range computer from the 1960s. Yet I bet they have a 100+ MHz CPU and a dedicated display controller with DMA. I just don't understand how they manage to make it so incredibly slow.
OK.
Plese consider several things:

e-ink is in fact a kind of electroMECHANICAL device.
check http://www.eink.com/technology/howitworks.html
You have to actually mechaically move charged white particles.

With most of e-ink devices the emphasis is not on the computing power of processor, but on the powersaving. A typical PDA can display page in a fraction of second, yet the battery will last only a few hours of reading. With Sony Reader, for example, you get WEEKS of use.

The processor and other circuits go to the sleep mode (on all e-ink devices except the Illiad ) while you read the page.

So. When you press page down button the machine has to:
- Power up the circuits
- spin up the processor
- process the page (using a deliberately slow (and thus very power eficient) processor)
- actually physically move mechanical particles that make picture

When you start actually using an e-ink device, you will very quickly to press page down when you are still reading, so the refresh occurs when you reach the bottom of the page.

And finally, take a stopwatch, open a heavy, thick, stiff, hardcover book and time how fast you can turn physical paper page. I am pretty sure you will not be able to beat the slowest e-ink device in page turning speed. Yet, I have never heard anyone complaining that it takes too long to turn a paper page.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:13 AM   #11
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
And finally, take a stopwatch, open a heavy, thick, stiff, hardcover book and time how fast you can turn physical paper page. I am pretty sure you will not be able to beat the slowest e-ink device in page turning speed. Yet, I have never heard anyone complaining that it takes too long to turn a paper page.
Yeah. It is annoying that people are complaining about eInk speed when they never complain about paper books. I imagine some people are never satisfied.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:01 AM   #12
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTH View Post
I can't really see the point to have it as a mobilephone...
I would LOVE to have a mobile phone that would fold in my little mobile phone pouch I am wearing on my belt that would enable me to read whenever, wherever I have a moment. Like waiting in a traffic jam, waiting in the queue somewhere, when I commute, ...
I would strongly prefer a phone with a built in 5" screen to phone with camera, quasi pda functionality and other questionable features.

Of course, for a comfortable home reading there is always Sony Reader, or Cybook.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:07 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The part I really dislike about the video is the person who says he has a Sony Reader and forgets to mention it's the 500 and it's not that fast. He should have mentioned the model since the 505 is faster then the 500.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:34 PM   #14
Utahcowboy
Connoisseur
Utahcowboy is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook Gen3
I think this device is going in the wrong direction. I watched all the demo videos that I could find and on each one I found some real big downsides.

1. The screen is flimsy. One of the huge draw backs of paper is that it is flimsy. How many of you used to watch your dad sitting in his chair while he would flip and fold his paper to get it into a more sturdy position? Flexible screen - bad idea.
2. The glare. I could not believe how shiny the screen was. How is anyone supposed to enjoy a good book in any lighted environment with this device? Sunlight - there will be glare, lamp light - there will be glare, flashlight - there will be glare. And not a little bit of glare but a lot!
3. Cumbersome. Holy cow does this device look uncomfortable to hold, it's even worse than the kindle. An ebook should simulate and improve on reading an actual book, not be a huge step backwards, it also seems that you have to use both your hands to hold it, whereas all other ebooks only need one. That slider control also looks very cumbersome. If you have carpel tunnel in your wrists then stay clear from this device! Also it appears that the display can only function in landscape, which is extra bad considering that you already need both hands to use the device. So when you hold it, you will look like the resident freak on the bus, not to mention making your arms, hands and wrists very tired very fast.
4. Durability. One wrong move going through a door way or navigating your way through a crowded subway and snap! there goes your flimsy, shiny screen.
5. 320x240! Hello pixels. When other ebooks are 800x600 or more this is a real huge disappointment. I thought that technology was supposed to get better as time goes by not worse.
6. Another format. One of the videos that I watched mentioned that instead of taking advantage of the plethora of available formats they were going to introduce a new one made just for their device. There are already too many, and of course they will make this format work better with their device than any other so you will be forced to buy books from their store in their format, which also means that they will have the freedom of raising the prices to what ever they want.
6. A phone? I don't know about everyone else, but I always read books while I am talking on the phone. Not really a downer, but rather "what's the point?"
7. No touch screen. Most mobile devices and even some ebooks have touch screens and I believe that in the next few years all companies will incorporate this feature if they want to stay in business. This is also a step backward. Of course I can see their reasoning behind this because if they did incorporate a touch screen and stylus the user would press too hard and break off the screen.

Yes this ebook seams to refresh quickly, and it does support a good wireless internet connection and yes it will fit nice and snug in your pocket along with 5 or 6 other handhelds that one may have. And who knows, it may have a really good firmware with lots of tasty features, but at what cost? I am not saying that this ebook will be a big flop (although I strongly believe that it will) but I do believe that anyone who buys it will think it is cool for a few weeks and then set it aside on their desk feeling cheated and disappointed.
Utahcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:11 PM   #15
archerwoo
Enthusiast
archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.archerwoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3;Ip4
GOD it could be folded! amazing!!
so fast to turn pages ~
archerwoo is offline   Reply With Quote