Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-25-2010, 10:35 PM   #1
bouka22
bouka22 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo wireless
moving ebooks from Kobo into calibre

I have recently purchased a Kobo wireless and I would like to use calibre to begin managing my library. I have had no difficulty adding ebooks to the Kobo from sources other the the Kobo store, and calibre has no difficulty finding those ebooks on the device when connected.
I am, however, having a problem with ebooks that were downloaded from the Kobo store and I believe it's because those files on the device do not have file extenstions. I can't view those books with calibre, or add them properly to the library.
Changing the file ext to .epub only produces unreadable code.
Am I using the wrong extension or have I missed a step?
I do appreciate your advice!
bouka22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
When you Download an epub book from the Kobo site after purchase or from your Library, it is an ascm file (that you save in your PC anywhere you wish).

Double clicking this ascm file opens Adobe Digital Editions application and creates the DRM protected .epub file which is located automatically in:

C:\Users\yourname\My Documents\My Digital Editions\xxxx.epub

All this assumes you have Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) loaded on your PC.

Calibre can now manipulate that epub file onto the reader.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2010, 02:11 AM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
ltr is correct. The kepub books (those loaded onto your book from the Kobo desktop application) are in a DRM format not supported by Calibre. They show up in your directory as a long string of numbers and letters. Just for giggles, I added an ePUB file format onto one of them and tried to open it in ADE--the only thing that happened was that the name of the book and its author briefly showed up in the ADE application, but it did not import. It was also not readable/usable in Calibre when I did that.

Fortunately if the book is available in ePUB format, Kobo will almost always have that format available.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:43 AM   #4
bouka22
bouka22 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo wireless
Thanks for the info. Even opening them with ADE, the ebooks had a title and table of contents, but only blank pages. It doesn't leave an .epub version in the My Digital Editions folder that has been created. It is a bit annoying since these particular ebooks are all free versions of classics that were actually put up by Project Gutenberg and that Kobo offers for download from their own site. I'll manage though.
Thanks again!
B
bouka22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 05:30 AM   #5
pearlie
pearlie began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, new iPad
Hi bouka,
I am stuck at where you were when you last post - "...the ebooks had a title and table of contents, but only blank pages...It doesn't leave an .epub version in the My Digital Editions folder that has been created."

Did you manage to find the solutions? Please do share. Thanks!
pearlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2011, 09:56 AM   #6
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouka22 View Post
I have recently purchased a Kobo wireless and I would like to use calibre to begin managing my library. I have had no difficulty adding ebooks to the Kobo from sources other the the Kobo store, and calibre has no difficulty finding those ebooks on the device when connected.
I am, however, having a problem with ebooks that were downloaded from the Kobo store and I believe it's because those files on the device do not have file extenstions. I can't view those books with calibre, or add them properly to the library.
Changing the file ext to .epub only produces unreadable code.
Am I using the wrong extension or have I missed a step?
I do appreciate your advice!
Books downloaded from the kobo store are DRM protected. Calibre Does not support DRM for that you need ADOBE DIGITAL READER
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:46 AM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Any ADE DRM based book is initially obtained from the store by downloading an "ACSM" extension file. This is opened by Adobe Desktop Edition on the PC and in turn downloads the true ePub.

While YES, this resulting ePub file does have DRM in it, nothing prevents you adding it to the Calibre library, and using Calibre to copy the DRM'd file onto the eReader.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:54 AM   #8
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Any ADE DRM based book is initially obtained from the store by downloading an "ACSM" extension file. This is opened by Adobe Desktop Edition on the PC and in turn downloads the true ePub.

While YES, this resulting ePub file does have DRM in it, nothing prevents you adding it to the Calibre library, and using Calibre to copy the DRM'd file onto the eReader.
the only caveat is that your ereader needs to be activated under the adobe account that the DRM'd book was activated under. else it won't open.

this is important to remember if you ever have to do a factory reset on your device as it will need to be re-authorized in ADE before using caliber to transfer the books over.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, kobo