Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-08-2010, 03:51 PM   #1
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Dpi/ppi-list for different matters somewhere?

I was wondering, anyone got a list of dpi/ppi-numbers for different kind of... well matters?

What i know is this

Iphone4 = 332ppi
Oled = 200 ppi
Eink = 170 ppi
Ipad = 132ppi
(correct me if i'm wrong)

But what about:
inkjet printed paper (300, 600, 1200? but what's the real "resolution"?)
laserprinter text
printed books
newspaper

etc? I want to have a list of comparison to see what's in what place.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:52 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
E-ink screens can have different resolutions, at least:

6" screens, 800×600 pixels: 166 ppi
5" screens, 800×600 pixels: 200 ppi
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:55 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
I was wondering, anyone got a list of dpi/ppi-numbers for different kind of... well matters?

What i know is this

Iphone4 = 332ppi
Oled = 200 ppi
Eink = 170 ppi
Ipad = 132ppi
(correct me if i'm wrong)

But what about:
inkjet printed paper (300, 600, 1200? but what's the real "resolution"?)
laserprinter text
printed books
newspaper

etc? I want to have a list of comparison to see what's in what place.
For black text on paper, the minimum resolution is going to be 300dpi for some old laserprinters and inkjets. Most will now be 600dpi or better. Black text on good quality paper through an offset press (e.g. non-PoD hardback books) is going to be 1200dpi. Glossy magazines might just take it up to 2400dpi.

Images are more complicated. But in general, a 332 ppi IPS LCD screen will have better image quality than most glossy magazine pages.

This is because each pixel on an IPS LCD screen can be any displayable colour, while printed images are made of of small dots of each of Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black, arranged in a pattern to effective make pixels at a much lower resolution than the dots themselves. This distance between the larger patterns gives the "line screen" of the image, usually expressed as lines per inch. Old B&W newspapers used to use a very coarse line scren of perhaps 70lpi. Modern newspapers use perhaps 100lpi - much better, but still clearly visible when looking closely. Glossy Magazines might use a 200lpi. The highest lpi I've seen mentioned for use in an offset press is 500lpi.

So a 332ppi IPS LCD screen is going to give much better image quality than most printed material, but not quite as good B&W text. However, if they use sub-pixel addressing for their text display, it could give text quality of approximately 900dpi.

I expect the new iPhone screen to look absolutely amazing for text and images, compared to any other computer screen.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:50 AM   #4
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
I'm awaiting more technical details of the iPhone screen, but it might (for example) be PenTile or similar.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote