Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-20-2011, 11:26 PM   #1
netrobot
Edge User

Got Bluetooth GPS running on Pocket Edge

I have a GlobalSat Bluetooth GPS receiver, model BT-338

Here's how I got it working on the PE:
Used Z4ROOT to Root the eDGe (allows "Mock locations")
Go to Setting - Applications - Development
Check the box for "Allow mock locations"
[back] button twice
Network controls
make sure GPS unit is turned on, and positioned where it can find satellites
make sure Bluetooth is checked
Bluetooth settings
Scan for devices
pair with your Bluetooth GPS
Install BlueGPS
check Start/Stop GPS (to checked)

Run Google Maps (I used my emulator to find on Market, load, backup and copy)
Allow location / verify the location it indicates.
zoom to street name level
Begin sliding window around to cache nearby maps

Things I got stuck on include:
You have to have the PE "rooted" to enable allowing mock locations.
You have to have that checked before installing BlueGPS

But the good news is that turning the GPS "on" in BlueGPS seems to have solved the "paired not connected" problem in Bluetooth Settings.

I tried cross-loading MapDroyd to cache map data, but it wouldn't install on the PE, even with the GPS connected and working. I've been told Google Maps caches to the level you zoom in and to the limits of available memory. Otherwise, you need WiFi to fill in the blurry areas. I have a hotspot utility for my phone, but it might draw a lot of data so I'd rather load up the map info at home.

If anyone finds a map cache utility that eases that job (obviates having to view the data zoomed-in) I'd appreciate knowing about it. I'll keep looking though.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:08 AM   #2
Filark
Edge User

Congratulations, netrobot!

Old 05-21-2011, 11:53 PM   #3
overfloat
Edge User

Yeah - I was disappointed when mapdroyd didn't install. Are there any other good offline map programs given that we are limited to wifi?

EDIT: Redacted - maybe I should read the application section before posting questions.

Last edited by overfloat; 05-21-2011 at 11:58 PM.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:29 PM   #4
netrobot
Edge User

I'm playing with Locus Free. So far, I'm not sure how much it caches. I also haven't figured out how to stop it from starting at Praha, Czechoslovakia! I swear, scrolling all the way to Los Angeles from there is a pain!

I used to use DeLorme Street Atlas. I bought it every other year through about four versions, but it doesn't have an Android applet. I used to love using that on my laptop and the Bluetooth GPS.

If anyone finds a good offline mapping app, sing out. And if anyone gets to the bottom of "Application not installed", that would be good to know as well.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
OncTech
Edge User

I got this to work with my full-sized eDGe and a Holux M-1000. It works great! I had been dreaming of this since I bought mine over a year ago. I should note that Mapdroyd works just fine with it. Though I had it installed before I upgraded to Ermine.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:56 AM   #6
sjarrel
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by netrobot View Post
I'm playing with Locus Free. So far, I'm not sure how much it caches. I also haven't figured out how to stop it from starting at Praha, Czechoslovakia! I swear, scrolling all the way to Los Angeles from there is a pain!
I don't have GPS and Locus Free starts with the last map I was on. So maybe you can turn off your GPS before you close Locus Free. In that case it should not be able to find that you are in (beautiful) Praha. Will this help?

I also have Mapdroid working fine in Ermine, but I too had it installed with Dingo.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:04 PM   #7
attemptress
Edge User

@netrobot: Locus caches as much as you tell it to. When you go to download a map, you can select a variety of outer boundaries for the map (this screen, select area, by state, etc.), and then you can select which zoom levels you want to have access to off-line. I usually go for one broad view, one medium zoom, and then one or two finer zoom levels, depending on what I'll be using the map for.

A fast way to get the map out of Czechoslovakia, if it should happen to end up there again, is to have a 'user map' defined near where you most often need your maps. Then, you just push menu>user maps>'name of map'>center on map. Done.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:45 AM   #8
netrobot
Edge User

Thanks! I'll take another look at Locus to see how to do what you described. I'd love to just have the whole area cached.