Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-22-2019, 12:48 AM   #91
cartz
Zealot
cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkpalm 5 Mini
It arrived 2 days early!

I don't have much time at the moment.

As expected there is no Google Play.

The device is fantastic! So much better than my A2 Pro. Instead of Smooth and Clear modes being app specific you simply switch from one mode to the other using the e-ink button - so much better (I just stay in smooth mode, aside from when using Kindle). Typing is wonderful and so much smoother than A2 Pro.

Overall I am amazed so far. Unfortunately I haven't got a lot of time to experiment at the moment.

My model is black 64 gig.

I will report back when I have more time.

To answer the above question YES you can turn the front light off.
cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 06:07 AM   #92
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartz View Post
It arrived 2 days early!
The device is fantastic! So much better than my A2 Pro. Instead of Smooth and Clear modes being app specific you simply switch from one mode to the other using the e-ink button - so much better (I just stay in smooth mode, aside from when using Kindle). Typing is wonderful and so much smoother than A2 Pro.
Typing so much better than a2 pro? Hmm, that is surprising to hear, the a2 pro has the responsive touchscreen of any eink device I've tried.

Hurray for universal smooth mode. I'm always jarred by the "recent apps" screen, and I can't find any alternative method to choose between apps.

Guess it still has reflective screen as in the videos?

Quick charging?
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2019, 04:15 PM   #93
cartz
Zealot
cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting4somethin View Post
Typing so much better than a2 pro? Hmm, that is surprising to hear, the a2 pro has the responsive touchscreen of any eink device I've tried.

Hurray for universal smooth mode. I'm always jarred by the "recent apps" screen, and I can't find any alternative method to choose between apps.

Guess it still has reflective screen as in the videos?

Quick charging?
I can type on it just like a normal phone.

The screen is nowhere near as reflective as the A2 pro.

The charging port isn't USB C, it's micro USB. Haven't observed how fast it takes to charge yet.
Old 12-22-2019, 05:30 PM   #94
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
To answer the above question YES you can turn the front light off.

Did you try it in a dark room (e.g. the bathroom)? If yes these are great news. Thx.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 07:18 PM   #95
cartz
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Did you try it in a dark room (e.g. the bathroom)? If yes these are great news. Thx.
Yes I did. It has 3 modes - auto, manual and OFF.
Advert
Old 12-23-2019, 03:55 AM   #96
cartz
Zealot

I'm having some trouble with WIFI on the A5.

(a) I cannot connect it to my home wifi. The A2 Pro connects fine, but the A5 just says there was a problem. This is not as big deal to me as I have a big data plan and don't spend much time at home.
(b) When setting the A5 up as a hotspot I can connect my Chromebook to it but there is NO iinternet connection. I can connect my A2 Pro to the A5 Hotspot and it does have an internet connection. This will be a major nuisance for me as I travel a lot and use my phone as a hotspot for my Chromebook and other devices.

I wonder if this is something to do with Chinese wifi maybe being different somehow, although my A2 Pro was fine for this. Or it could simply be a faulty wifi part in my phone.

Unfortunately this is out of my area of expertise. I still love the phone and will have to find some other work around.
Old 12-23-2019, 03:47 PM   #97
leixsa
leixsa knows the square root of minus one.leixsa knows the square root of minus one.leixsa knows the square root of minus one.leixsa knows the square root of minus one.leixsa knows the square root of minus one.leixsa knows the square root of minus one.leixsa knows the square root of minus one.leixsa knows the square root of minus one.leixsa knows the square root of minus one.leixsa knows the square root of minus one.leixsa knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Hisense A5
Hey!

I also registered in this forum because my Hisense A5 arrived today and I am looking desperately for some help. I tried to manage somehow installing Google Play. The installation is no problem with the apks but after installing Google Account Manager, Google Services Framework, Google Play Services and Google Play Store, starting was not possible. The phone tried to start the app but then it always broke up after one second. If someone knows a solution I would be really grateful!! Unfortunately I am not versed in technology :/ Thank you in advance for your help and if you have questions I can answer so far, I'd be happy to help

PS: Wifi works without problems on my phone!
leixsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 04:56 PM   #98
cartz
Zealot

Quote:
I'm having some trouble with WIFI on the A5.
Great news - nothing wrong with my phone on WIFI. The problem was with my carrier. I had to set up a specific APN in the Mobile Network settings.
Old 12-23-2019, 05:05 PM   #99
cartz
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by leixsa View Post
Hey!

I also registered in this forum because my Hisense A5 arrived today and I am looking desperately for some help. I tried to manage somehow installing Google Play. The installation is no problem with the apks but after installing Google Account Manager, Google Services Framework, Google Play Services and Google Play Store, starting was not possible. The phone tried to start the app but then it always broke up after one second. If someone knows a solution I would be really grateful!! Unfortunately I am not versed in technology :/ Thank you in advance for your help and if you have questions I can answer so far, I'd be happy to help

PS: Wifi works without problems on my phone!
Someone with technical expertise may or may not solve installing Google Play. Don't wast your time unless someone posts a step by step solution.

In the meantime. Install the f-droid store ( https://f-droid.org/en/ ). From there you can install the Aurora Store and from there you can install apps from Google Play (some will work some won't). Also install the Amazon App Store as you will find a lot of apps are on there (eg. Spotify etc). I have been able to get all the apps I need via these methods and it doesn't bother me if there is never a solution to Google Play. The gmail app won't work but you can use K9 Mail from f-droid and access your gmail via that using IMAP. Apparently Google Maps will work but I use Here We Go as I prefer it.
Old 12-23-2019, 05:50 PM   #100
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
Quote:
I can type on it just like a normal phone.

The screen is nowhere near as reflective as the A2 pro.

The charging port isn't USB C, it's micro USB. Haven't observed how fast it takes to charge yet.
I never had problems typing on the A2 Pro. The touchscreen has the quality of a normal phone, nothing like the ereader counterparts, which often miss key presses.

I'm not the biggest fan of front lights but it must be cool to have one on the phone.

I also like that its slightly lighter than the a2 but you might not notice.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 07:36 PM   #101
cartz
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting4somethin View Post
I never had problems typing on the A2 Pro. The touchscreen has the quality of a normal phone, nothing like the ereader counterparts, which often miss key presses.

I'm not the biggest fan of front lights but it must be cool to have one on the phone.

I also like that its slightly lighter than the a2 but you might not notice.
I could type fine on the a2 pro but iwould be prone to make more errors, on the A5 I can type as fast without errors as a normal phone.

You can turn the frontlight off, but it is great to have it for when it is dark outside.

Like you I loved my A2 pro and thought it wouldn't be much improved upon. But it is like night and day comparing it to the A5. The weight and size reduction is very noticable and it feels great in the hand realtive to the A2.
Old 12-24-2019, 06:56 AM   #102
leixsa
leixsa knows the square root of minus one.leixsa knows the square root of minus one.leixsa knows the square root of minus one.leixsa knows the square root of minus one.leixsa knows the square root of minus one.leixsa knows the square root of minus one.leixsa knows the square root of minus one.leixsa knows the square root of minus one.leixsa knows the square root of minus one.leixsa knows the square root of minus one.leixsa knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Someone with technical expertise may or may not solve installing Google Play. Don't wast your time unless someone posts a step by step solution.

In the meantime. Install the f-droid store ( https://f-droid.org/en/ ). From there you can install the Aurora Store and from there you can install apps from Google Play (some will work some won't). Also install the Amazon App Store as you will find a lot of apps are on there (eg. Spotify etc). I have been able to get all the apps I need via these methods and it doesn't bother me if there is never a solution to Google Play. The gmail app won't work but you can use K9 Mail from f-droid and access your gmail via that using IMAP. Apparently Google Maps will work but I use Here We Go as I prefer it.

Thank you so much, I will try all this steps today!!!
Old 12-25-2019, 10:35 AM   #103
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Would anyone want to take a short video about their experience with the device?
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 03:48 PM   #104
leixsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Would anyone want to take a short video about their experience with the device?
Hey! I can do that during the next days. As it will be my first video, don't laugh
Old 12-27-2019, 06:05 PM   #105
Villain
Enthusiast
Villain began at the beginning.

My A5 has finally been shipped . What a relief.
Villain is offline   Reply With Quote