Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-06-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
flemhead
flemhead began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 700
Post Sony PRS-700 Audiobooks

Hello, I'm new to the forums.

I've had a PRS-700 for a couple of months now and I'm wondering if there are any audiobooks available to use on this device?

I know audiobooks from iTunes don't work. To my stupidity I didn't check the format of the audiobook and see it wasn't an MP3 like I thought it would be and it doesn't transfer.

I know Amazon.com and Barnesandnoble.com have audiobooks, but I'm not sure if they will transfer over to the Sony Reader.

Thanks to anyone who is able to help.
flemhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:19 PM   #2
mklynds
That guy, no not that guy
mklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with others

Device: PRS600 Red
Hi Flemhead and welcome to mobileread! I am sure you will find an answer to your question here as there are many very knowledgeable prs-700 owners here. I have I don't know the answer myself and am very curious about the answer myself.

Again Welcome to MobileRead!!
mklynds is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2009, 09:52 PM   #3
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Welcome to MobileRead flemhead.

The PRS-700 can play MP3 and ACC (unsecured) audio files. They are easy to transfer over to the eBook reader. I don't believe it will keep track of where you left off in an audiobook though, it is mainly geared toward music. I'm only aware of and have only used secure (DRM'd) audio books.

There is a Stop/Restart playback function and a playback progress bar that you can use to position yourself on a track, but I'm not sure these functions would be suitable to position yourself in an audiobook. I may be wrong though, I've never put an audio book on my PRS-700.

I have an Olympus voice recorder that I use for voice recording, listening to music/audio books/audio podcasts and it keeps track of where I stop any audio file in any folder, making it easy to restart where I left off. I only borrow audiobooks (secure) from the local library to listen to on this device (I believe it uses the Overdrive system to borrow and download). One advantage to borrowing audio books from the library is that there doesn't seem to be a limited number of copies available like there are eBooks.

WetDogEared.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 07-07-2009 at 07:45 AM.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:56 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I'm with the crew on this one, I wouldn't use it for music, and considering the length of audiobooks, no way. It'll kill the battery life, plus it's interface isn't really good for audio. BUT my coworker loves that feature most on his 505 (but he doesn't listen to audiobooks).

Yeah, I guess this isn't too helpful. And I can't think who sells DRM free audio books.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:34 PM   #5
warriorscot
Enthusiast
warriorscot began at the beginning.

Device: prs-700
Can't think of anyone that sells drm free but if you already have it you can strip the drm or just download a drm free version which is pretty easy and in most places covered under fair use.

For audiobooks I would get something more tailored to them. My creative zen has good features for audiobooks including good bookmarking support.
warriorscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
sony prs700 audiobook