Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-13-2008, 02:28 PM   #1
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
Don't buy it!

And if you DO order one, for the love of God do NOT get it engraved!

I got my new PRS700 this morning. I charged it up, turned it on, and UH OH, the complaints I have read about the screen are, if anything, understated.

Seriously, this screen is unusable. I cannot imagine wanting to read a whole book on this thing. My eyes ached after just a couple of pages. It's fuzzy, dim, and the contrast is just awful.

So I called Sony with a complaint and was told 'This product is not returnable because it was engraved.'

I talked to numerous folks and explained to each of them that I had ordered this reader based on my good experience with earlier Sony readers, and that I had it engraved because that earlier experience had caused me to trust Sony products. I did not think I should be penalized for believing that this product would be of the usual excellent Sony quality. I also said that I did not think this was a case of me simply 'not liking' the reader, but that the reader itself was frankly unusable.

Cue the sound of that kid on the Simpsons who pulls not-so-funny jokes on others and then says 'Ha Haaaaaaaa'

The last person I talked to has elevated my request for an RMA to his managerment and I've been told I will be notifed by EMail of their decision.

I can only hope that I am not stuck with a 400 dollar brick but I'm really afraid I am.

Amazon should send Sony a nice Christmas present because this reader is the best ad for Kindle that I've seen.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:30 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
I can only hope that I am not stuck with a 400 dollar brick but I'm really afraid I am.

Amazon should send Sony a nice Christmas present because this reader is the best ad for Kindle that I've seen.
You could probably sell it on eBay or here if you are willing to ship it overseas.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2008, 02:31 PM   #3
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
And if you DO order one, for the love of God do NOT get it engraved!

I got my new PRS700 this morning. I charged it up, turned it on, and UH OH, the complaints I have read about the screen are, if anything, understated.

Seriously, this screen is unusable. I cannot imagine wanting to read a whole book on this thing. My eyes ached after just a couple of pages. It's fuzzy, dim, and the contrast is just awful.

So I called Sony with a complaint and was told 'This product is not returnable because it was engraved.'

I talked to numerous folks and explained to each of them that I had ordered this reader based on my good experience with earlier Sony readers, and that I had it engraved because that earlier experience had caused me to trust Sony products. I did not think I should be penalized for believing that this product would be of the usual excellent Sony quality. I also said that I did not think this was a case of me simply 'not liking' the reader, but that the reader itself was frankly unusable.

Cue the sound of that kid on the Simpsons who pulls not-so-funny jokes on others and then says 'Ha Haaaaaaaa'

The last person I talked to has elevated my request for an RMA to his managerment and I've been told I will be notifed by EMail of their decision.

Depending on your credit card, you may be able to appeal to them for a refund.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote