Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 07-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
TheoGeek
TheoGeek began at the beginning.

Device: HTC One (Black, 32GB)
CC - Integration with Moon+ Reader...

The more I use CC, the more I love it, but I am having a slight problem (inconcistent - sometimes it works fine and other times it doesn't). I am using a Samsung Galaxy Skyrocket and have multiple e-readers installed trying to find the one I like best - I've got it narrowed down to OverDrive and Moon+.

When I select a book in CC and select "Read":

1) (using OverDrive) - OverDrive opens to its library and the first book in the list is the one I selected from CC. That's fine - just an extra step.

2) (using Moon+) - Moon+ sometimes opens the book immediately, and sometimes it opens to an empty library. I need to close Moon+ and reselect "read" in CC to get it to work. It has always worked the second time.

This is probably an issue with Moon+, I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks!
Jeff.
TheoGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
2) (using Moon+) - Moon+ sometimes opens the book immediately, and sometimes it opens to an empty library. I need to close Moon+ and reselect "read" in CC to get it to work. It has always worked the second time.

This is probably an issue with Moon+, I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks!
Jeff.
I use moon+ pro and have never seen this behavior. The first time I open a book moon+ gives me a TOC. All subsequent opens give me the current position in the book. I have no idea why you are seeing different behavior. Perhaps it is a difference between the pro and the free version?

In case it matters, I use the default CC folder for all formats.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2013, 11:13 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I use moon+ pro and have never seen this behavior. The first time I open a book moon+ gives me a TOC. All subsequent opens give me the current position in the book. I have no idea why you are seeing different behavior. Perhaps it is a difference between the pro and the free version?

In case it matters, I use the default CC folder for all formats.
I've never seen the reported behavior either and Moon+ Reader Pro is what I always use. My experience is exactly as you describe.

In case it matters my ePubs, mobi, azw (1,2,3,4) books are not located in the default folder and I really only read using ePubs.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:02 AM   #4
TheoGeek

Ok... here's the issue: if Moon+ is running in the background and I open a book from any app (ES Explorer, Calibre Companion, etc.) then opening books will result in alternating between opening the book and opening Moon+ to the home screen. If I exit Moon+ or force close it, opening a book from any app always opens the book in Moon+.

Sounds like a Moon+ issue to me... can someone else out there try this and see what happens? It does this in the paid version on a Galaxy Skyrocket and HTC One...

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2013, 01:46 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am not sure if I am doing what you want to test, but I don't see the behavior you describe.

Using my Nexus 7 and Moon+ Pro:

1) Open CC. Choose book A. Long-press to read the book in Moon+
2) The book opens in Moon+ at page 1 (the cover)
3) In Moon+: advance a page or two.
4) Open task browser, bring CC to front.
5) In CC, long-press on book B to read it.
6) The book opens in Moon+ at page 1.
7) Advance some pages
8) In the task browser, bring CC to front
9) Long-press book A
10) Book A opens in Moon+ on the last page I looked at.

and repeat with book B, book A, a third book, etc. I never see the Moon+ home screen (the book selection screen?).

What are you doing that is different from the above?
Advert
Old 07-12-2013, 02:44 AM   #6
TheoGeek

The only thing I am doing different is pressing the "back" button to switch away from Moon+. When I followed what you listed, I get the behavior you do - Moon+ opens the book directly and bypasses the "home" screen.

If you use the "back" button, do you see the issue I'm seeing?

Thanks!

---

update: if I change the behavior of the back button in the Moon+ controls menu from "nothing" to something like "close Moon+ reader" or "back to book shelf", the issue goes away too...

Last edited by TheoGeek; 07-12-2013 at 02:50 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:54 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Nope, don't see it.

What I tried:
1) In CC, long press to open a book in Moon+. I see the book.
2) In Moon+, advance a couple of pages.
3) In Moon+, tap the back button once. Takes me back to CC
4) In CC, long press to open a different book in Moon+. I see the book. Again, advance a few pages.
6) In Moon+, tap the back button. Takes me back to CC.
7) Long press the first book. That book opens in Moon+ at the correct page.

And so on, repeated several times.

One time Moon+ opened to the previously correct page, ignoring the page forwards I had done. This happened once only in 10 cycles. My suspicion is that might have been caused by the very rapid changing between books and its integration with dropbox -- updating the current position in dropbox got dropped because I restarted with a different book so quickly -- but I have no way of knowing that to be true.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:03 AM   #8
TheoGeek

hmmm.. interesting. Thanks for trying though - do you have Moon+ set to do something other than "nothing" when the back button is pressed? That fixed the issue for me without using the task switcher (which also worked).

since its working, this is just an exercise in solving a puzzle - feel free to stop at any time... especially since CC is not causing it (as it behaves similarly if I use ES Explorer to open the books).
Old 07-12-2013, 03:05 AM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

You probably hit the nail on the head. For me, the back button is set to "Close Moon+ Reader"
Old 07-12-2013, 05:11 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGeek View Post
hmmm.. interesting. Thanks for trying though - do you have Moon+ set to do something other than "nothing" when the back button is pressed? That fixed the issue for me without using the task switcher (which also worked).
If I follow your steps I get the same results. But since I rarely back out of Moon+ it is not something that popped up on my radar. Once in a blue moon Moon+ would open to the home screen. It would seem my habit is to always use the task switcher when navigating between programs. Now that I switched the back button to close the program I won't experience the rare exception anymore.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote