Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-01-2011, 11:37 AM   #16
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by africalass View Post
There's one of my replies from earlier in the moderator queue (due to screenshot attachment I presume) - but it sounds like something that's been fixed.
Oops, I didn't see that it was in moderation. Approved.

Quote:
I can't see where to ask Calibre to download the lastest version. Does it update through a proxy server?
Calibre doesn't update itself. If it detects that there are new versions available, it will tell you so in the status bar, including a clickable link to the download page. If you don't see that status, manually download from the site and install- don't worry, your books will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
IIRC, the vertical bar was the multiple author separator at one time - before the ampersand was adopted. I vaguely recall it was used internally in metadata.db and there were conversions from commas to vertical bars between the human interface and the internals. I can't find my old metadata.db to look, but I can recall problems relating to this issue.
That sounds like it is the explanation here.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:37 AM   #17
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
You need internet acces

Quote:
Originally Posted by africalass View Post
Hi

Thanks so much for these replies. There's one of my replies from earlier in the moderator queue (due to screenshot attachment I presume) - but it sounds like something that's been fixed. I can't see where to ask Calibre to download the lastest version. Does it update through a proxy server?

Cheers
Hi africalass !
I'm privileged, so I have Internet access all the time (don't know if you have ?).
If you don't have internet access when starting Calibre, Calibre can't tell you that new a update is ready for you.
(Unless you disabled the Calibre option to alert you of a new version ?)
Basically: Get an internet access. Once you have that, and it works,
goto
http://calibre-ebook.com/download"]http://calibre-ebook.com/download[/URL]
Choose what matches your operation system, download/install
I might be WAY out of course here, but .. if that dosn't work,more info is needed
Keep us posted,
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:31 PM   #18
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yes, the vertical bar is still used internally, an unfortunate legacy.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:06 PM   #19
africalass
Connoisseur
africalass began at the beginning.

Location: Various - sometimes UK, sometimes South Africa, sometimes other countries in Europe / Africa
Device: Windows Laptop; Kindle Keyboard; Hudl2 (Android), iPhone
Thanks for all the replies.

I've gone to download the latest version (and the proxy wouldn't interfere with it being downloaded from IE, although it does seem to stop Calibre from informing me there is an update available) but the file is waaay too big for my slower than dial-up connection. Next time I go to a city I'll find an internet cafe to download it. Fortunately just searching for the vertical bar gave me the same results. I'll post back in the future if I have any other issues with it.

Thanks again.
africalass is offline   Reply With Quote