Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-03-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Font rendering with FW 2.0

Has anyone noticed that custom fonts with firmware 2.0 look darker and larger than with 1.5 (or previous mobi firmwares)?

I used Droid Serif with the mobi firmware, and now I've tried it with 2.0 it's definitely darker (thicker), more uneven (some strokes are thicker than others, and some instances of the same letter too, as if there is no hinting or it is being ignored), with a narrower leading (lines are too close to each other) and larger (I almost have to select the smallest font size to have the same feeling as before). With respect to the font size, the selection menu is pretty useless, as the font size shown in the menu has no relation to the actual font size used when selected. I have tried Georgia and Constantia and the issues are roughly the same.

It looks like the font rendering still needs some polishing, I wonder how much is responsibility of Adobe and how much of Bookeen.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Has anyone noticed that custom fonts with firmware 2.0 look darker and larger than with 1.5 (or previous mobi firmwares)?

I used Droid Serif with the mobi firmware, and now I've tried it with 2.0 it's definitely darker (thicker), more uneven (some strokes are thicker than others, and some instances of the same letter too, as if there is no hinting or it is being ignored), with a narrower leading (lines are too close to each other) and larger (I almost have to select the smallest font size to have the same feeling as before). With respect to the font size, the selection menu is pretty useless, as the font size shown in the menu has no relation to the actual font size used when selected. I have tried Georgia and Constantia and the issues are roughly the same.

It looks like the font rendering still needs some polishing, I wonder how much is responsibility of Adobe and how much of Bookeen.
Yes, my Lucida Sans became useless since it was much darker than before. I am now using Liberation Serif which works OK. Verdana looks too dark also.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert