Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-12-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Does it matter if a brand is not sold where you live?

Hello!

I am new to this board, and new to researching in anticipation of buying my first eBook reader.

For the past couple of weeks I have been leaning fairly heavily toward the txtr, which will come out in October. The txtr will be sold initially in Germany and adjacent countries.

Now I see that the Hanlin/Astak Pocket Pro will be out in a few weeks here in the US.

I imagine that if a unit is perfect in every regard, then it won't matter who sells it. But if there is an issue of any sort, I wonder if there would be a negative aspect to being the only guy in the US with a txtr.

Maybe I should consider the Astak because it will be sold and supported (I think) in the US.

Do you have any opinions on this?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
As you say, it really does not matter providing the device never breaks. If it does break, then usually there is some procedure for returns. However, customer support is one area where there can be large differences between companies. For a vendors perspective, see Robert B's blog post: Support for EZ Reader devices outside North America.. I have not heard anything but good reports of Astak's service, but Robert B is simplifying a bit. It is easy to anticipate the shipping cost and extra shipping time. The less expected issues are language barriers, and different vendors procedures for tracking returns and what happens to them. I have seen reports of bad experiences with Bookeen and iRex, for example, which to some extent were caused by a lack of communication from the company. In fact, plenty of people in the US have sent their iLiad's (for example) to iRex for repair and gotten them back.

I bought an iLiad because it was a unique product and so I risked the odds of it breaking and having to ship it back from the US to Europe for repair (I did buy from iRex's dealer in the US). However, I bought an EZ Reader, rather than a BeBook, because of Astak's US site for returns. As it turns out, I have had no problems with either my iLiad or my EZ Reader.

With a new entrant into the ebook device game it is hard to know how good their support will be. The txtr does look like an interesting device from a dynamic company. To me, the unknown release date would be more of an issue than buying from Europe (assuming txtr sells to the US from its web site).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2009, 11:51 PM   #3
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thanks wallcraft. I suppose that the wise thing to do would be to wait and see what the txtr situation is rather than speculate.

Although I'm hot to trot, there is no need for me to make up my mind soon. I can wait till the early adopters of the txtr and the Pocket Pro post their opinions of their experiences. It should all be clear soon enough.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote