Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 12-04-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
Libre with jetBook Firmware Freezing?

so as you all know i LOVEEEEEE my jetBook. i got a libre to check out what was the main difference first hand between the two and when i tried to get the jetBook firmware on to it - the device completely froze and won't start up again.

anyone have any ideas?

all in all i think im just gonna stick with the jetBook LITE for now since they have more format support and the dictionaries already pre-loaded. got them as gifts for the in laws already anyway
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:26 PM   #2
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Does the power light come on at all?
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

the power light comes on but the screen is all jumbled. any advice?
Old 12-11-2009, 05:09 PM   #4
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuBiB View Post
the power light comes on but the screen is all jumbled. any advice?
Load the original Libre firmware on a SD card and hold down the right and power buttons until it comes on. Continue to hold down the right button for at least a minute, then set the device down. Check back in 15 minutes and see if it has made it to the firmware upgrade screen.

This is what works for me when I get the jumbled screen with Chinese firmware. It takes a looong time to boot, but it eventually makes it...
Old 12-12-2009, 10:40 PM   #5
Kralik
Guru

Well, I just had a scary experience, where I tried to flash my jetBook from the Libre firmware back to the jetBook firmware. It froze in the transfer screen as yours did. I left it for about 20 minutes then reset. Fortunately, the Aluratek logo came right back and it powered on. How long did you let your sit after it froze? And, when you say that the screen is jumbled, do you mean jumbled letters, pixels, lines, or...?
Old 12-13-2009, 04:21 PM   #6
Kralik
Guru

I found the offending code that makes the Libre --> jetBook flash fail:

Code:
if [ -e $TMP_SD/data/JL09 ] ; then
	echo "Is JL09"
else
	echo "Is not JL09"
	killall -9 flashing.sh
	Error_Firmware
fi
All one needs to do is create a file called "JL09" in the jetBook firmware to allow a flashback. I may experiment with it later, but for now the Libre firmware is fine. If I do flash back later, I'll post modified firmware for both directions.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:03 PM   #7
LuBiB
Banned

wow, OK, i got my Libre back up and running. I let it sit all day before that and it didnt even want to reset. The battery finally failed and i guess something happened and it started working again.

I just dont think the Libre is meant to work with the JB firmware.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:06 PM   #8
Kralik
Guru

People have succeeded with the jetBook firmware, but congrats on getting it working! If I were you, I'd leave it alone, since it's not worth the risk.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:41 AM   #9
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
What is the advantage of going with the jetbook firmware in a Aluratek?

I made the physical jump from Aluratek to jetbook thinking that the Jetbook would be a superior device. I also assumed that I would still have ADE ePub DRM. It was access to the built in Dictionary that loured me.

As it turns out I lost ADE ePub DRM access. The PDF reading was better on the Aluratek.

The dictionary turned out to be a disappointment - big time. 9out of 10 word look ups were not found. I am not talking about technical terms or specialized words. It just seems to be a very basic English dictionary. May be because they include cross references for 4 other languages.

The only reason I didn't send the unit back is I would have taken a big $$ loss on it. Shipping and restocking fee, even though the expectations were not met and they still have yet to come through with the DRM issue.

As the Aluratek supports serif font, ADE DRM, ePub w/better image display and font character support, as well as pretty decent PDF reader it makes up for the lack of a weak dictionary and the T9 text entry utiliy.

IMO

John
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:28 PM   #10
sn2002bt
sn2002bt began at the beginning.

Device: Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
I found the offending code that makes the Libre --> jetBook flash fail:

Code:
if [ -e $TMP_SD/data/JL09 ] ; then
	echo "Is JL09"
else
	echo "Is not JL09"
	killall -9 flashing.sh
	Error_Firmware
fi
All one needs to do is create a file called "JL09" in the jetBook firmware to allow a flashback. I may experiment with it later, but for now the Libre firmware is fine. If I do flash back later, I'll post modified firmware for both directions.

Please illustrate what you mean in detailed procedures. What you mean create the file in firmware? You have a way to open up the .bin file and modify it and re-pack it? Please let us know how you did it. PLease don't assume everybody else is technically proficient as you are.
sn2002bt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:58 AM   #11
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
Is it possible to merge the best of both into one - such as the T9 text serach of the JB with the PDF text flow feature of the ALP etc.

ePub on the JB is even different than ePub on the ALP even though the ePub file is the same on both.

John
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jetbook, jetbook lite, libre