Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 12:08 AM   #1
deborahjeanne
Zealot
deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Color. Kobo Touch (died 2014). Kobo Glo.
Unhappy Ready to give up

I started with the Kobo wireless. It had a few irritants, mostly to do with the navigation button, and the fact that it didn't want to sync properly so my iphone would update. I also would prefer a touchscreen.

A co-worker got a nook color, and I thought my dreams had come true, but I'm frustrated there also. The "special" usb cable means I have to keep unplugging my printer, from behind my computer to plug it in. Also that I have to bring the cable downstairs to hook with the computer, back upstairs for charging (most of the time). I prefer to shop at the kobo store (the prices have been better), but that means I don't get covers displayed on my nook. Or bookmarks updating to my iphone.

I went and looked at a kobo today, and it did seem a little more restful to my eyes. Then I tried to enter a book to search for and had to deal with that navigation button....

Thing is, I like the nook reader, but not the computer "stuff" that goes along with it. For some reason Adobe digital editions won't allow me to add Barnes and Noble books. Says they are for a different acct even though I totally reinstalled ADE. Since I'm on a mac, that means no "desktop" showing my books. then I found nook study. Sort of works. but I have my nookbooks on nookstudy, and my kobo books on ADE. Annoying.

I feel like a total ditz, unable to make up my mind. At this point I'm ready to throw my hands up and stick to reading on my phone, or, heaven forbid, buying actual books.
deborahjeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:13 AM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Welcome deborahjeanne!

Since prices are falling and new models are being introduced, I always recommend that one not buy more than what one needs. No matter what you get, in a short while you will be able to buy something better for even less money.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:20 AM   #3
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by deborahjeanne View Post
I started with the Kobo wireless. It had a few irritants, mostly to do with the navigation button, and the fact that it didn't want to sync properly so my iphone would update. I also would prefer a touchscreen.

A co-worker got a nook color, and I thought my dreams had come true, but I'm frustrated there also. The "special" usb cable means I have to keep unplugging my printer, from behind my computer to plug it in. Also that I have to bring the cable downstairs to hook with the computer, back upstairs for charging (most of the time). I prefer to shop at the kobo store (the prices have been better), but that means I don't get covers displayed on my nook. Or bookmarks updating to my iphone.

I went and looked at a kobo today, and it did seem a little more restful to my eyes. Then I tried to enter a book to search for and had to deal with that navigation button....

Thing is, I like the nook reader, but not the computer "stuff" that goes along with it. For some reason Adobe digital editions won't allow me to add Barnes and Noble books. Says they are for a different acct even though I totally reinstalled ADE. Since I'm on a mac, that means no "desktop" showing my books. then I found nook study. Sort of works. but I have my nookbooks on nookstudy, and my kobo books on ADE. Annoying.

I feel like a total ditz, unable to make up my mind. At this point I'm ready to throw my hands up and stick to reading on my phone, or, heaven forbid, buying actual books.
why not just pick up a powerstrip to plug your computer, printer , nook color etc in. you can get a basic one for about $10

also your nook color will show bookcovers of books bought outside of BN you just have to make sure the jpeg is included when sideloading your book. It just won't be on the main home page but it will show up in your library and on your 'Shelf"

also why not head over to the nook sub forum here. There are some fantastic experts on it who will be able to answer your questions
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:23 AM   #4
deborahjeanne
Zealot
deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.deborahjeanne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

As far as I could figure for the covers to show the nook had to be rooted. It seemed very complicated.

Its not the power that is a problem, it is the usb access to my computer. I tried plugging directly into the hub, and that worked, but the next time I did it I had to restart my computer as the keyboard quit working.

I was trying to find prices on getting the extra cable, but there don't seem to be any.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:31 AM   #5
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

oh no, my nook color isn't rooted and all my covers from kobo bookstore and fictionwise etc all show up.

www.monoprice.com this is the greatest website for cables

i recommend this for all your cable needs. Great quality and prices that are insane, ( I feel like Crazy Eddie now LOL)

also when you connect your nook color to your computer you have to make sure the nook color is unlocked ( like when you first turn it on and swipe the unlock key) I remember my first day with it, I did not do that I was ready to pull the hair out my head, luckily my wife was there she said make sure it's unlocked. and that was it.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:36 AM   #6
deborahjeanne
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
oh no, my nook color isn't rooted and all my covers from kobo bookstore and fictionwise etc all show up.

www.monoprice.com this is the greatest website for cables

i recommend this for all your cable needs. Great quality and prices that are insane, ( I feel like Crazy Eddie now LOL)

also when you connect your nook color to your computer you have to make sure the nook color is unlocked ( like when you first turn it on and swipe the unlock key) I remember my first day with it, I did not do that I was ready to pull the hair out my head, luckily my wife was there she said make sure it's unlocked. and that was it.

My mistake. Its not rooted, its that it seems to involve calibre. I have had absolutely no luck figuring that program out, and figured it was because all my books have drm (they're from kobo or B&N)

Thanks for the hint, maybe thats why I can't get the update to work.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:42 AM   #7
boswd
Banned

Quote:
My mistake. Its not rooted, its that it seems to involve calibre. I have had absolutely no luck figuring that program out, and figured it was because all my books have drm (they're from kobo or B&N)

Thanks for the hint, maybe thats why I can't get the update to work.
you don't "need" Calibre, to have books sideloaded or even just show your covers, just make sure you download Adode Digiatal Reader, set up a user and password, and should be good to go.

Calibre is just a great way to keep your sideloaded books organized, etc.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:43 AM   #8
deborahjeanne
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
you don't "need" Calibre, to have books sideloaded or even just show your covers, just make sure you download Adode Digiatal Reader, set up a user and password, and should be good to go.
I am using ADE. Doesn't help.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:54 AM   #9
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
For some reason Adobe digital editions won't allow me to add Barnes and Noble books.
ADE won't read B&N ebooks. B&N books use a DRM scheme that ADE doesn't support, so that B&N ebooks will only work on the Nooks and the Jetbook Lite. EPUBs purchased through Kobo will work with your Nook as well as any other EPUB-capable ereader, but any books that have to be synched through the Kobo desktop software will work with Kobo only.

It's all a bit confusing, so if you have more questions, do continue to ask.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:31 AM   #10
deborahjeanne
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post
ADE won't read B&N ebooks. B&N books use a DRM scheme that ADE doesn't support, so that B&N ebooks will only work on the Nooks and the Jetbook Lite. EPUBs purchased through Kobo will work with your Nook as well as any other EPUB-capable ereader, but any books that have to be synched through the Kobo desktop software will work with Kobo only.

It's all a bit confusing, so if you have more questions, do continue to ask.

Ok, obviously I am much more out of my depth than I realized. I thought somewhere it told me to use ADE for my nook. I'm getting more confused and longing for the simplicity of Kobo, but I don't want to give up my pretty screen.

On the bright side, I seem to have made some progress in understanding calibre. Just a little.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:38 AM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Ok, obviously I am much more out of my depth than I realized. I thought somewhere it told me to use ADE for my nook. I'm getting more confused and longing for the simplicity of Kobo, but I don't want to give up my pretty screen.
B&N ePubs use B&N DRM, but the B&N Reading devices can also read ePubs with Adobe DRM bought from other stores. These are the ones that you typically download to your PC using ADE and then sideload onto your Nook.

It is also possible to download B&N ePubs to your PC, but they can only be read there with the Nook apps.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:15 AM   #12
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Something that might help you out if you really love the Nook Color would be to purchase a powered USB hub (such as this model). Then plug this into the back of your PC since you don't seem to have any front USB slots, and plug in your printer and anything else into the hub and not the back. As long as the hub is powered, you should be able to plug any device into it without any issues.

The hubs that are not powered will be touchy as to what they'll correctly run or not, usually anything that requires power (such as the Nook Color) will not play nice with non-powered USB hubs. Any device that has its own power source (such as your printer, some external drives, etc.) will operate just fine on the non-powered hubs. Maybe you can swap around some USB connections and leave the Nook cable plugged into the back if you already have a non-powered USB hub.

Also, you might check if your cell phone adapter fits the Nook Color and you can use that for recharging. I just purchased a Sony 350 and was thrilled I could use the same USB cable and adapter for it as my cell phone uses.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:18 AM   #13
deborahjeanne
Zealot

Thank you all so much for your feedback. I see now I can quit frustrating myself trying to "fix" ADE.

Ripplinger our hub is plugged into the wall, so I assume it is powered. For some reason it seems to me that the printer won't work if not connected to the computer directly. (we went through a bit of this getting space for the iphone and camera to have easy access hookups. The back of the computer isn't that hidden, I'm being a princess about having to unplug and fiddle around with it. (we have an imac)

I tried my iphone charger first thing, and it won't charge the nook. (using the nook cable in the cell phone usb adaptor).

Am I crazy if I consider a Sony touch?

My poor husband is so patient.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:49 AM   #14
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Thank you all so much for your feedback. I see now I can quit frustrating myself trying to "fix" ADE.

Ripplinger our hub is plugged into the wall, so I assume it is powered. For some reason it seems to me that the printer won't work if not connected to the computer directly. (we went through a bit of this getting space for the iphone and camera to have easy access hookups. The back of the computer isn't that hidden, I'm being a princess about having to unplug and fiddle around with it. (we have an imac)

I tried my iphone charger first thing, and it won't charge the nook. (using the nook cable in the cell phone usb adaptor).

Am I crazy if I consider a Sony touch?

My poor husband is so patient.

It wil be the same with the sony as well. ePub with ADE is the same with the Kobo, the nook , nook color, the sony's etc etc. the procedure is the same.

I think what you might be confused on by one of the post's is ADE does not read books sold by Barnes and Noble (nookbooks) but the nook and nook color read books from ADE epub.

I would suggest going to the nook sub forum here. there are some tremedous people on this board who could basically walk you through this.

Also there is even a sticky thread for tips on making sure your book cover art shows up on your sideloaded books.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:13 AM   #15
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
debora,

Tell us what are you expecting from an ereader, what your reading habits are, what do you usually read, when and where, so we can give you advices.

You should buy a device based on what you read and your preferences. There are tons of alternatives outside but not all will fit your own needs.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote